49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":30n729dk said:
Thanks popeye. I appreciate the time you took to put that together. If true, I would agree that it put them in a tough spot. That said, the trouble that they're having in bringing people in post-harbaugh, don't you think that people around the league have more insight into what's gone on than the media and/or analysts? Just seems like the word is out to avoid that FO if anything. Regardless of Harbaugh's shortcomings, the results were there... right up until it became a spectacle in the media and the owner started tweeting mid-game and essentially throwing his HC under a bus.

Oh yeah, the whole thing is a total mess no doubt.

TBF though I think it has less to do with concern about what happened with Harbaugh than it has to do with Tomsula being a total unknown who nobody outside of the 9ers FO has much faith in, but even that was (or should have been) predictable.

So, on the one hand I think they were in a tough spot with Harbaugh, but on the other hand it's York's youth and Baalke's hubris which brought them skipping into this dumpster fire of post-Harbaugh embarrassment. If they didn't prepare for the contingencies of this as a likely outcome of replacing Harbaugh with Tomsula, that's on them.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":qaddgsfh said:
Laloosh":qaddgsfh said:
Thanks popeye. I appreciate the time you took to put that together. If true, I would agree that it put them in a tough spot. That said, the trouble that they're having in bringing people in post-harbaugh, don't you think that people around the league have more insight into what's gone on than the media and/or analysts? Just seems like the word is out to avoid that FO if anything. Regardless of Harbaugh's shortcomings, the results were there... right up until it became a spectacle in the media and the owner started tweeting mid-game and essentially throwing his HC under a bus.

Oh yeah, the whole thing is a total mess no doubt.

TBF though I think it has less to do with concern about what happened with Harbaugh than it has to do with Tomsula being a total unknown who nobody outside of the 9ers FO has much faith in, but even that was (or should have been) predictable.

So, on the one hand I think they were in a tough spot with Harbaugh, but on the other hand it's York's youth and Baalke's hubris which brought them skipping into this dumpster fire of post-Harbaugh embarrassment. If they didn't prepare for the contingencies of this as a likely outcome of replacing Harbaugh with Tomsula, that's on them.

With that, do you think they've (let's pretend Tomsula's tenure is short and unsuccessful) set themselves on a path to Baalke being canned and a big name head coach coming to to call the shots and hire his own GM?

or

Do you think that they'll manage to win enough with Tomsula that he is afforded time to learn / find himself as a HC and wind up being that guy that they said they were going to hire for the long haul (a decade or better)?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":1bjopcv2 said:
With that, do you think they've (let's pretend Tomsula's tenure is short and unsuccessful) set themselves on a path to Baalke being canned and a big name head coach coming to to call the shots and hire his own GM?

or

Do you think that they'll manage to win enough with Tomsula that he is afforded time to learn / find himself as a HC and wind up being that guy that they said they were going to hire for the long haul (a decade or better)?

Ehh, I think save for the guys who bring particular schemes with them (e.g. Pete Carroll's defense) head coaches are pretty overrated, and coordinators and positional coaches are pretty underrated.

So, personally, I think Tomsula will fail not because of his ability or inability as a coach, but because of his lack of connections/reputation and his inability to bring in coordinators and positional coaches. (that he's bringing in radio hosts who were his buddies in NFL Europe 15 years ago basically tells us everything we need to know).

Long story short I was basically on the fence until last week or so when I realized what I thought might happen with the coordinator searches was definitely happening, and now I think it's just a total unsalvageable mess.

IMO Tomsula might get lucky and the 9ers might barely squeak into the Wild Card before getting knocked out, or he might get unlucky and they might go 6-10 at which point he gets fired.

I'd be shocked, and would hand all my prediction powers back over, if Tomsula, Geep, and Mangini are the guys that get the 9ers over the hump. That's just not happening.

As for a big name head coach, if that's predicated on Baalke getting canned, I think 9ers fans will have to wait longer than they'd hope for. York is young and out of his depth, and as a result, within the organization Baalke and Paraag are almost too big to fail at this point. I'd guess that they'll have incredibly long leashes and be allowed to mess up until it's just simply not feasible to keep them anymore.

All things told though, I don't think that's really a bad thing. As far as making decisions about football teams go I think even horrible GMs are more skilled than even amazing owners (why the good owners, save for signing the checks, stay out of the way).

In the short term though, there might be some lag time for it all to totally fall apart or it might happen quickly, but boy, I definitely think that's coming. :lol: