49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

rideaducati

Reaction score
kidhawk":ziltmefj said:
As for the hire, he's got the experience in the system to keep the defense up to par. They'll need some help on the offensive side of the ball, and for that they may be wise to reach into the college ranks to get someone who may fit the scheme more around Kaepernick's abilities and the running game

The niner defense is going to fall apart over the next two seasons because of age and Baalke's inability to draft good players. They MIGHT play the same system, but there is no way in hell they play that system as well as they have for the past few seasons. They are on there way to replacing Cowboy with a guy named Tank and Willis with a slow undersized LB. Good luck with that.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":1v17n09j said:
Trestman at OC would be the wrong move, IMO. They need take an OC who knows Saturday offenses a bit. Quit trying to make Kaep Byron Leftwich. They should sniff around A & M or Auburn for an OC.

I don't want to sound like a Trestman fanboy, but he was the coach of a certain college team not very long ago. I don't think he would have any trouble adapting an offense for Kaepernick.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2qokfd5a said:
pehawk":2qokfd5a said:
Trestman at OC would be the wrong move, IMO. They need take an OC who knows Saturday offenses a bit. Quit trying to make Kaep Byron Leftwich. They should sniff around A & M or Auburn for an OC.

I don't want to sound like a Trestman fanboy, but he was the coach of a certain college team not very long ago. I don't think he would have any trouble adapting an offense for Kaepernick.

Yeah, that most certainly could be true. I have no doubt Trestman is a great OC. My statement is more about Kaep, he needs simplicity with running built in.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2i8hztym said:
BTW, the switch to 4-3 seems like a Baalke inspired move. Gets his picks on the field more often (Borland, Lynch, Carradine, etc.). Interesting that it gets leaked before they officially hire a D-coordinator. I think YorBaalke is already pulling some strings, and they've now fired anyone who would challenge them on the scheme change.

It's possible that 4-3 is Tomsula's idea, since he's the former DL coach. But yeah, if your theory is correct about it being from Baalke, that would be incredibly revealing to make that determination before hiring a DC. And it's not hard at all to believe the decision came from Baalke.

How often do we see a perennial top five defense switch alignments? The retirement of Smith factors, but that's kinda nuts.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2190i0ce said:
DavidSeven":2190i0ce said:
BTW, the switch to 4-3 seems like a Baalke inspired move. Gets his picks on the field more often (Borland, Lynch, Carradine, etc.). Interesting that it gets leaked before they officially hire a D-coordinator. I think YorBaalke is already pulling some strings, and they've now fired anyone who would challenge them on the scheme change.

It's possible that 4-3 is Tomsula's idea, since he's the former DL coach. But yeah, if your theory is correct about it being from Baalke, that would be incredibly revealing. And it's not hard at all to believe the decision came from Baalke.

How often do we see a perennial top five defense switch alignments? The retirement of Smith factors, but that's kinda nuts.

Might have something to do with getting Bowman, Willis, AND Borland on the field....

....but I'd rather stick with a 3-4.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ql9vng3 said:
Might have something to do with getting Bowman, Willis, AND Borland on the field....

And even then, you'd only have two of them on the field when running a nickle D.

Do they even try to move Brooks to DE? Speculation seems to be that the 49ers will move on from him. I think Aldon Smith has grown enough to handle being a 4-3 DE, but I only see two obvious 4-3 DL on your team right now (Dorsey at the 1 tech).

IMO it is easier to bring a pass rusher along as a 3-4 OLB than as a 4-3 DE, so I think Lynch will be hurt by this move. That said I think Lynch is a very good player and wanted him badly for Seattle.

Not sure who is going to create interior pressure for SF in a 4-3. I imagine this would be a high priority in the draft for them.

Whoever the next DC is, it's not going to be easy to ride the coattails of the previous year's top five defense after a scheme change.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1ztcgdf4 said:
Marvin49":1ztcgdf4 said:

And even then, you'd only have two of them on the field when running a nickle D. I think Aldon Smith has grown enough to handle being a 4-3 DE. IMO it is easier to bring a pass rusher along as a 3-4 OLB than as a 4-3 DE, so I think Lynch will be hurt by this move. That said I think Lynch is a very good player and wanted him badly for Seattle. Not sure who is going to create interior pressure for SF in a 4-3. I imagine this would be a high priority in the draft for them.

Of course...and Borland in that scenario would likely be the first guy off the field.

I suspect the thinking is perhaps Tank Carradine or Glenn Dorsey to play inside...

...but to be honest I'm kinda in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category on a switch to a 4-3. Despite all the injuries/suspensions on defense last year, that's NOT where their problems were.

Seems the personnel doesn't really match to me, so why switch?

kearly

Reaction score
You gotta give me like 5 minutes to edit man.

Never thought much of Carradine. Still don't. I thought Borland and Lynch were studs as prospects though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3j7m910n said:
Marvin49":3j7m910n said:

And even then, you'd only have two of them on the field when running a nickle D.

Do they even try to move Brooks to DE? Speculation seems to be that the 49ers will move on from him. I think Aldon Smith has grown enough to handle being a 4-3 DE, but I only see two obvious 4-3 DL on your team right now (Dorsey at the 1 tech).

IMO it is easier to bring a pass rusher along as a 3-4 OLB than as a 4-3 DE, so I think Lynch will be hurt by this move. That said I think Lynch is a very good player and wanted him badly for Seattle.

Not sure who is going to create interior pressure for SF in a 4-3. I imagine this would be a high priority in the draft for them.

Whoever the next DC is, it's not going to be easy to ride the coattails of the previous year's top five defense after a scheme change.

SO now responding to your edited version...

...Honestly, I think Brooks will be released. Big salary, diminishing production and other players to sign.

Carradine will be asked to do more....DE? 4-3 DT? Probably best as maybe DE playing opposite Aldon, but then as you said...what about Lynch?

I'm not a fan of switching fronts. I think they have the pieces to make the front they have work just fine and if you change it you are just plugging round pegs into square holes.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I see fans saying a 4-3 switch isn't a big deal, crazy. The Niners already play a lot of 4-3 in obvious passing situations, but that is a hell of a lot different than one gapping in run downs. The switch from 2 gapping run control to 1 gapping penetration and disruption is dicey.

I heard that Justin is thinking his back is done, and he will retire. Maybe the switch is tied to that?

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2v5k53rg said:
You gotta give me like 5 minutes to edit man.

Never thought much of Carradine. Still don't. I thought Borland and Lynch were studs as prospects though.

Yeah, I remember that.

Not saying he's going to be great, but I think they'll ask him to do a lot more next year. Played a bit more late this year and actually was pretty good getting after the QB.

His problem so far has been missing assignments...which is why Fangio didn't play him much early.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":269e1fhr said:
I see fans saying a 4-3 switch isn't a big deal, crazy. The Niners already play a lot of 4-3 in obvious passing situations, but that is a hell of a lot different than one gapping in run downs. The switch from 2 gapping run control to 1 gapping penetration and disruption is dicey.

I heard that Justin is thinking his back is done, and he will retire. Maybe the switch is tied to that?

It IS a big deal. Agree completely.

Personally, I like the 3-4 much better.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Geez, this is like watching a train wreck unfold in slow motion. I am actually disgusted/saddened by these moves. Not as much as I'm sure most 49ers fans are, but to me it signals part of what appears to be a collapse of the power of the NFC West. A few short years ago we were the laughing stock of the league. Then the balance shifted and we became a power division that nobody wanted to play. It sent two of those teams to the Super Bowl, with one winning it all, and multiple appearances in the NFC Championship game.

Competition and toughness breed in kind. If the division is tough, it makes the Seahawks all the tougher. Without that toughness, we have a harder time maintaining that tough edge, that full-blown kick you in the teeth and slobberknock you when you're down attitude. Yeah, we'll still have it, but it won't be the same without those fierce rivalries to hone it.

I actually hope the 49ers will continue to be at least a semblance of their former selves. Sadly, as has been stated here a couple of times, this reeks of a Jim Mora or Dennis Erickson hire, and no good will come from it.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
How crazy would it be if DQ leaves for ATL, and Fangio stuck it to the Niners and becomes our DC.

Jville

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":24xdh171 said:
How crazy would it be if DQ leaves for ATL, and Fangio stuck it to the Niners and becomes our DC.

I would think that would be a big surprise.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3skii437 said:
The Niners still have the guns. But the guy leading the charge could be a disservice.

They can be good in spite of the changes, but that might be wishful thinking.

Those guns are getting old and rusty, plus they don't have a lot of up-and-coming talent from good drafts. This is a team that is going to struggle, no doubt about it. We all saw it starting this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2ybk67io said:

Isn't Fangio mainly a 3-4 guy?