#1 Position of need?

What is the most important position that needs to be addressed this offseason?

• CB (We can't afford Maxi and Lane & Simon are big ?'s)

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • DT (Mebane, Hill, and Scruggs all coming off injury and KWill is one yr older)

Votes: 40 18.6%
  • OL (Protect our Franchise QB)

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • TE (Miller injury prone, Wilson drop prone)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • WR (Give Wilson a big weapon who can play like Mathews did in the SB, every game)

Votes: 102 47.4%
  • KR/PR (We sorely missed Tate in the return game this season)

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

DJrmb

Reaction score
Rat":1usf9g2w said:
DJrmb":1usf9g2w said:
The O-line has to be solidified before any WR will look anything like a "#1 WR"

Guys like Okung, Unger, and Carp look good when healthy but give me a less talented guy that stays on the field any day of the week over guys that are hurt year in and year out. You've got to have talent on the O-line to be good, yes, but just about as important is Continuity.

BTW in case anyone forgot, we are a run first team... WR, #1 need? Really?

Someone is really into NFL platitudes. All this post is missing is something about games being won in the trenches.

Who are these Elite #1 WR's we're supposed to be looking for copies of? How many championships have they won???

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
An oc that calls for a run on 2nd and goal from the 1 with 23 seconds left in the Super Bowl.....

Rat

Reaction score
DJrmb":191edz6p said:
Rat":191edz6p said:
DJrmb":191edz6p said:

Guys like Okung, Unger, and Carp look good when healthy but give me a less talented guy that stays on the field any day of the week over guys that are hurt year in and year out. You've got to have talent on the O-line to be good, yes, but just about as important is Continuity.

Someone is really into NFL platitudes. All this post is missing is something about games being won in the trenches.

Who are these Elite #1 WR's we're supposed to be looking for copies of? How many championships have they won???

You can say the same thing about offensive linemen. It's about balance and talent. Saying it's all about OL is a ridiculously myopic vogue opinion that casual fans can't stop repeating for some reason.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
For me the #1 position of need depends on whether or not Lynch comes back.

If lynch is back id say WR is our #1 need with OL a close 2nd. This way Wilson and Lynch can keep doing what they do best but Wilson would have some extra help from the receivers.

If Lynch does not come back then I'd say #1 OL and #2 WR. This way Wilson would get some more protection which helps WRs get open and it opens the playbook a little, and it also helps if the OL can do an even better job of opening holes for whoever we end up using at RB.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Rat":336amv5c said:
Jermaine Kearse was a starter on this team this past season. I think that's all anyone needs to know to answer this question.
Bryan Walters actually saw action on the field as a WR in multiple games. THAT says something.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Outside of a new Offensive Coordinator (which would win in a landslide), I think it's hard to argue against WR/TE (some kind of big time receiving threat) being a monster need. If Russell Wilson has a big target who can actually get some separation and get open on a consistent basis, you're going to see those QB release times start to go way down. Russell Wilson doesn't need to scramble around for 4-5 seconds (and hope that his OL can give him that kind of protection) as much if he has that kind of receiving threat.

That said, whatever happens with Marshawn Lynch trumps everything. If he retires, all bets are off -- finding a big time, big play RB immediately hops to the front of the line. Even if Lynch is back for 2016 ... come draft day and if Todd Gurley happens to still there at #31 ... I don't think there is any way that Schneider passes on him. Whether it's this next year or the year after that (like it or not), it's time to start actively trying to identify the RB of the future, as the sun is setting on the Marshawn Lynch era. I really don't think Michael is that guy (and I don't believe the coaching staff thinks so either), so finding the RB of the future has to be the highest importance IMO.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dlu6rvh said:
In order of need;

1. D-Line
2. WR
3. TE
4. DB Depth

I see it a bit different

1. LT
2. WR
3. CB
4. DT

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Interesting post, and it provides for all of us at .net to give our view on things.

I think you could look at this a couple of ways.

I'll start off first with the unconventional option which is CB is the greatest need of this team. You might be thinking "Srsly, dude we have Sherm/ LOB." Yes, but I saw teams start to score a little more often against us with Simon playing CB opposite of Sherman, most notably in the playoffs/superb owl. Because they won't/can't test Sherman it makes the other side of the field incredibly crucial. Behind Lane, the depth drops off considerably which made injuries to this part of the team huge in the superb owl and ultimately imo resulted in our downfall. I'm one of Maxwell's biggest fans, I think he's a top five corner in this league and if not that at worst a top 10. His and Sherman's coverage skills have bridged the gap for up and comers who aren't there yet, such as Simon.

On the other side of things I could see DT/line being a bigger issue down the road, not a lot of depth behind starters and having to move players in and out was not as easy with the off-season losses of Red, Clemons and ultimately losing Mebane and Avril in the superb owl.

The biggest point of emphasis should once again be what Pete started with, which was adding depth to a team and bringing in athletes he thinks fit the system. Sort of like a rinse and repeat method.

You could make cases for the TE/WR/OL all fair but a lot of those positions don't require an exact overhaul imo as Pete's shown an uncanny ability to pick talent from the depths of the CFL/Arena leagues.

Chris Matthew's has already shown he has the best hands on the team, and I'm convinced he'll be a big part of the team's nucleus next year.

KR/PR is a special teams thing that a couple of athletes could fix, and I see it farther down on the list as a lesser need.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Rat":3tslbrwm said:
DJrmb":3tslbrwm said:
Rat":3tslbrwm said:
DJrmb":3tslbrwm said:

You can say the same thing about offensive linemen. It's about balance and talent. Saying it's all about OL is a ridiculously myopic vogue opinion that casual fans can't stop repeating for some reason.

LOL are you kidding? The casual fan? Boy, you don't know me one bit.

The casual fan is the one that's been bitching about a #1 WR for the past 10 years... If you look back at my first post I never said it was all about the O-line (as I do agree a certain type of WR is a pressing need on this team). I just think that O-Line our biggest weakness right now. Also with a poor O-line giving Wilson and your "#1 WR" no time they won't amount to jack squat. You can have the best WR on the planet but if you can't give them time to run their route and get open then they won't ever get open, but you already know that, right, Since you're so much more of a fan than anyone else.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
DJrmb":2es4rfef said:

The casual fan is the one that's been bitching about a #1 WR for the past 10 years... If you look back at my first post I never said it was all about the O-line (as I do agree a certain type of WR is a pressing need on this team). I just think that O-Line our biggest weakness right now. Also with a poor O-line giving Wilson and your "#1 WR" no time they won't amount to jack squat. You can have the best WR on the planet but if you can't give them time to run their route and get open then they won't ever get open, but you already know that, right, Since you're so much more of a fan than anyone else.
You act like it's impossible for Wilson to complete a pass and that the OL doesn't know how to pass protect at all. You're overstating the pass block deficiency. Are they great at protecting Wilson? No, but they also aren't the worst ever, which is how you are making them out to be.

Seriously, if the OL was as bad as you say they are, then how did Wilson complete that huge pass to Kearse in OT in the NFCC game? How do the Hawks lead the league in explosive plays if the OL can't block at all?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":21ch06uf said:
Sgt. Largent":21ch06uf said:
In order of need;

1. D-Line
2. WR
3. TE
4. DB Depth

I see it a bit different

1. LT
2. WR
3. CB
4. DT

You want to spend money or depend on another rookie tackle? As much as we crucify Okung, he's making average money for a top 10 LT, and other than his penchant for at least two false starts a game, he's a solid pass and run blocker.

We already have Britt on one side whiffing on pass blocks, Russell's gonna get killed if we try and draft another LT.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wqwsv9z said:
LTH":1wqwsv9z said:
Sgt. Largent":1wqwsv9z said:
In order of need;

1. D-Line
2. WR
3. TE
4. DB Depth

I see it a bit different

1. LT
2. WR
3. CB
4. DT

You want to spend money or depend on another rookie tackle? As much as we crucify Okung, he's making average money for a top 10 LT, and other than his penchant for at least two false starts a game, he's a solid pass and run blocker.

We already have Britt on one side whiffing on pass blocks, Russell's gonna get killed if we try and draft another LT.

We need to draft an OT to develop behind Okung, who is a free agent after 2015, and also to push Britt at RT. If Bailey goes to LG, there is zero depth at OT. Drafting an OT now would actually avoid the situation you are alluding to one year from now, i.e. forced to start a rookie at LT.

Rat

Reaction score
DJrmb":2i7vezk7 said:

I didn't call you a casual fan. I said your post displayed the inane, vacuous rhetoric most often expressed by casual fans.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3dbkio2w said:
We need to draft an OT to develop behind Okung, who is a free agent after 2015, and also to push Britt at RT. If Bailey goes to LG, there is zero depth at OT. Drafting an OT now would actually avoid the situation you are alluding to one year from now, i.e. forced to start a rookie at LT.

Guess we'll agree to disagree, cause I think they'll extend Okung, and therefore there's no reason to have LT as your #1 priority this off season or draft.

When you have an above average LT, you don't let them go, they're too valuable........even one's that false start all the time.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26jgng7s said:
hawknation2015":26jgng7s said:

Guess we'll agree to disagree, cause I think they'll extend Okung, and therefore there's no reason to have LT as your #1 priority this off season or draft.

When you have an above average LT, you don't let them go, they're too valuable........even one's that false start all the time.

And whom do you want to start at LT when Okung inevitably misses games this season?

Not saying extending Okung isn't a possibility, only that we desperately need depth at that position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3at6943s said:
Sgt. Largent":3at6943s said:
hawknation2015":3at6943s said:

And whom do you want to start at LT when Okung inevitably misses games this season?

Not saying extending Okung isn't a possibility, only that we desperately need depth at that position.

We have some depth, Bailey and Gilliam are coming along nicely as depth tackles.

I'm only disagreeing with you because you said LT is our #1 priority, and we have too many other needs that should be addressed first before LT. Not saying don't draft a couple lineman deeper in the draft, but #1 priority? No.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iiltnw1 said:
hawknation2015":3iiltnw1 said:
Sgt. Largent":3iiltnw1 said:
hawknation2015":3iiltnw1 said:

We have some depth, Bailey and Gilliam are coming along nicely as depth tackles.

I'm only disagreeing with you because you said LT is our #1 priority, and we have too many other needs that should be addressed first before LT. Not saying don't draft a couple lineman deeper in the draft, but #1 priority? No.

Bailey can't start at both LG and LT simultaneously. So I assume you also think we should extend Carpenter?

I would prefer to see improvement from our single worst position group.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2c1qp9ob said:
hawknation2015":2c1qp9ob said:
I would prefer to see improvement from our single worst position group.

D Line and WR it is! :D

Those position groups also need help. OL, WR, DL, and CB are the four biggest positions of need -- in that order, IMO.

At TE, we need more of a developmental prospect rather than an immediate starter. Luke Willson and Cooper Helfet are a couple young players who are still developing into complete TEs. Zach Miller is the returning starter on a team-friendly deal. Tony Moeaki and Anthony McCoy have struggled with injuries, but they are at least big-bodied TEs who can add depth if needed. ReShaun Allen is another big-bodied TE signed to a futures contract. For those reasons, I don't consider TE an immediate need.

However, if there is a solid blocking TE with great hands available in the draft, of course I would want him taken. I think the same way about RB: if there is a potential starter available, then you have to take him, even though Lynch is likely to sign an extension and they already have solid depth with Turbin, Michael, and Bronson.

timmat

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":353947ds said:
DJrmb":353947ds said:

You act like it's impossible for Wilson to complete a pass and that the OL doesn't know how to pass protect at all. You're overstating the pass block deficiency. Are they great at protecting Wilson? No, but they also aren't the worst ever, which is how you are making them out to be.

Seriously, if the OL was as bad as you say they are, then how did Wilson complete that huge pass to Kearse in OT in the NFCC game? How do the Hawks lead the league in explosive plays if the OL can't block at all?

There were so many times this year that Russell received the shotgun snap and had to immediately scramble for his life. It's not impossible for him to complete a pass with this OL obviously, but it would be nice if the need for him to leverage every ounce of his athletic ability just to make a pass attempt occured a little less frequently. And RW got pounded down the stretch this season. We can't just accept that as the way things will have to be for him. He's young and built to take more punishment than most QBs, but sooner or later we need to offer him even just a bit more protection. If not for his health, for his development as a quarterback. It's difficult to learn to trust your reads and your WRs when your first move has to often be dodging the opposition's D linemen.

We can argue whether or not o line is THE #1 need, but there is no argument for anyone who has watched every snap over the past few years that continuing to improve our O line must be high up on the priority list.

Latest posts