Cornerback need?

Do you feel we need corner help this offseason?

• Yes, I want one of the top rated corners in round 1 or 2

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Yes, I want a corner on day three

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Yes, but pick up a free agent

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No, we are fine signing our ERFAs

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No, let Jackson walk, we will be fine without him

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BASF

Reaction score
I keep seeing people mocking the Seahawks with a cornerback in the early rounds this year. I personally do not believe we need an early cornerback. We already have three very good young corners in Woolen, Brown and Bryant signed to contracts. We have Isaiah Dunn and Chris Steele under futures contracts. We also have am ERFA in Michael Jackson who did a good job starting opposite Woolen last season. I do believe Brown will beat him out this season, but bringing him back is a no brainer.

So, the question posed to the board is are any of you thinking we need to pick a corner in the early rounds? I know that the position is deep in this draft, so I wouldn't be surprised if we grab one say in the fourth or fifth round.

EDIT TO ADD: I put two choices for each person as I can see the need for two choices depending on circumstances.

As an aside, I wanted to post this in the NCAA/Draft sub forum, but we apparently can not start a poll thread there. Is there any particular reason why?

Last edited:

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I say somewhere on day three.......as posted in all the other threads we definitely need to build the lines. We always seem to take at least 1 corner it seems in a really late round, or undrafted after the fact.......but I'd say use one of our last picks on someone that can maybe develop in a couple years and be serviceable.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I would've loved seeing Pete and John snatch Nehemiah Pritchett with a day 3 pick. Unfortunately he went back to college for another year

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think its a severe need, but I think it is a strength of the class in the first two rounds of the draft and like most of the secondary guys at the top.

I want to see them take talent and attitude over positional need.

I don't think they're going to draft a corner, but if it were me, I'd love Witherspoon or Cam Smith with that second first rounder.

LCB and nickel can both stand to be improved. I like Coby, but I'm not going to stand pat with him.

NoGain

Reaction score
Way down the list of needs, IMO, behind DL, Edge, C, G, LB, WR...shyt, just about every position on the field besides OT. I love Woolen, I really like Trey Brown, I like Bryant (another player we moved out of his normal position), Jackson looked decent at times. Sure, draft for depth in the later rounds there, work in a FA or two. But I can't believe a CB would be so BPA that we'd take one early over other positions of need.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
They do their best work from the 4th round on, especially in the 5th. Could always use some depth at corner.
That’s the narrative. But they do ok with top 10 picks. Anything else they love to try and be the smartest men in the room, and take some player everyone says “who?” Gonzalez and Woolen would give us two of the biggest and longest CB in the NFL. Have seen scouts say he’s everything people think Ringo is.

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think CB is one of those needs that we need to spend a little cash in FA and also draft. Get a day two guy and (my big wish, a Jonathon Jones) a free agent proven guy. Jordan got fooled out there, but he's slightly better than Bryant.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the team is ahead of the talent acquisition curve at corner back. Coming off injured reserve, the speedy Joey Blunt and versatile Isaiah Dunn seem offer a great deal more than what we have seen to date. I'm anticipating big jumps from both of them.

Speaking of Isaiah Dunn, the gunner role on special teams is a favorite of mine for proving the necessary physicality and fearlessness attributes for Seahawks football. So, special teams competition is an ever present factor.

The thing about a draft being strong in at a particular position is that it tends to shake interesting players off of other rosters. Every team should be able to enhance their corner back rosters in a strong draft year.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Shoot if we trade back with the Raiders or Rams and If Kelee Ringo is there after we trade back and pick up maybe another 2nd then I can’t see how you don’t entertain it. Ringo and Woolen would be nasty at the corners together

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Shoot if we trade back with the Raiders or Rams and If Kelee Ringo is there after we trade back and pick up maybe another 2nd then I can’t see how you don’t entertain it. Ringo and Woolen would be nasty at the corners together
I like this line of thinking, the trade back to pick up additional draft assets then draft into what I think is the strength of the first round. I prefer Witherspoon as a target.

Why did you suggest the Raiders or Rams specifically?

Jville

Reaction score
Blount is a safety

Blount is indeed currently listed as a safety. But some think he is built more like a corner.

The coaching staff is at liberty to take a look at Blount in various roles. I'm anticipating they will do just that. Blount and Dunn are two hold over developmental projects of interest.

massari

Reaction score
Hawks fans are almost as high on Ringo as they were with Kevin King back in the day

I think the Hawks like what they got with Woolen, Brown, Jackson and Bryant.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I like this line of thinking, the trade back to pick up additional draft assets then draft into what I think is the strength of the first round. I prefer Witherspoon as a target.

Why did you suggest the Raiders or Rams specifically?
Both might be looking to draft a future quarterback

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Both might be looking to draft a future quarterback
Perhaps, but the Rams don't pick until 36. They don't have the ammunition to come up to 5. Using their top few picks plus next year's 1 may not get them there. The Panthers at 9, Texans at 12 (if they go defense with their first pick), and Packers at 15 seem like more likely candidates to target a QB at 5.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
You don't need to take one high but take someone in the middle rounds. Julius Brents screams Seahawks to me.
I keep trying to find his film from while he was a safety, since I think he would be a very good candidate to play free safety in the league.