Importance of the Center position

Did the lack of a stud Center impact Seahawks playoff and suprBowl chances?

• Yes, definitely an underrated cause after Unger was traded.

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • Maybe, but Seahawks had good enough players so it shouldn’t have mattered.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Nope, the Center position is easy to replace and it doesn’t matter.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Even if they DO make a good pick and/or have a great draft, LIKE THEY DID JUST LAST YEAR, you'll somehow revert to their past mistakes. Rince, and repeat.
We all get it by now, Pete and John suck.

cheese22

Reaction score
Having a QB with as much knowledge of the offense as Geno does would be very beneficial to a rookie C. Geno could either make the line calls or help the young guy make the right calls. Adding a rookie C this year would be similar to getting a QB in that they wouldn't have to take on all the responsibilities they'll have in the years to come.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
If McDowell was a safe Round #1 pick he would've went in the 1st round. He wasn't.

They struggle to field a competent defense, despite the massive investment. You have to be a real special piece of work to not recognize how terrible they have been at putting that unit together for what is inching towards a decade in the not too distant future. This is a fact not my opinion.

I praise their offensive picks over the same time frame. I don't "Pee" on those as you say, because they do a good job on that side of the ball. I praised the Geno contract as well. Hell, I wish they drafted more on offense and less on defense because of this fact.

Pete Carroll DB Whispering aside, they are a trainwreck on defense. And with Clint Hurtt and co. trotting out the same mess they want to call a scheme as last year, I have zero confidence it will be any different from what we've been watching for a long time now.

Aren't you sick of it? The one being dishonest is you. Stop lying to yourself and recognize there is an issue on defense and changes at the top need to occur for it to get fixed. Most will be on my side if they are bottom 5 again after this year. There are no more excuses.
What Team did you say you Coached to a Lombardi? LOLOL I rest my case.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Another way to look at past lines, what if those added to the team were destined to fail because of how the offense was structured?

R3 re-enforced just how hard it was to block for him in Denver. We will never know for sure. But if bringing in traditional players equates to future success I think we can all breathe easier about the future.
^^ABSOLUTELY ^^ THIS^^

toffee

Reaction score
Having a QB with as much knowledge of the offense as Geno does would be very beneficial to a rookie C. Geno could either make the line calls or help the young guy make the right calls. Adding a rookie C this year would be similar to getting a QB in that they wouldn't have to take on all the responsibilities they'll have in the years to come.
You are right, we therefore ought to draft a center and give him the time to learn.

toffee

Reaction score
We could draft with focus on the two lines, in the mock sim, we addressed the OL with Skoronski (convert to LG), and Luke Wypler, center from Ohio State. On the DL, we drafted Kancy, Mazi, and Kobie Turner. We also traded away Fant and his contract, replace by La Porta. Daiyan Henley to help Bobby, and two late round edges.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Another way to look at past lines, what if those added to the team were destined to fail because of how the offense was structured?

R3 re-enforced just how hard it was to block for him in Denver. We will never know for sure. But if bringing in traditional players equates to future success I think we can all breathe easier about the future.

With the regularity of sacks by any QB in a Pete Carroll system, I believe the answer is pretty obvious. It wasnt just Wilson, its all of them.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Max Unger allowed 3 sacks between 2012-2014. Quality matters, which is why Sean Payton targeted Max. Max anchored the Saint line with 3000 snaps the 3 years after the trade.

Somehow, the Saints totally won that trade even though Hawks acquired All-World Jimmy.

Seahawks have been searching for a true replacement ever since. In a great center draft, it’s time to upgrade.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
With the regularity of sacks by any QB in a Pete Carroll system, I believe the answer is pretty obvious. It wasnt just Wilson, its all of them.
You're talkin' Bull$#it Pitt, Wilson was responsible for the PLETHORA of Hits, Hurries & UNNECESSARY number of sacks...PROOF?? it CONTINUED when he went to the Donko's.
Geno DID NOT have anything close to resembling the same shit that Wilson did under Pete Carroll's Coaching here in Seattle, P-E-R-I-O-D!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You're talkin' Bull$#it Pitt, Wilson was responsible for the PLETHORA of Hits, Hurries & UNNECESSARY number of sacks...PROOF?? it CONTINUED when he went to the Donko's.
Geno DID NOT have anything close to resembling the same shit that Wilson did under Pete Carroll's Coaching here in Seattle, P-E-R-I-O-D!!

BS. Geno was sacked 46 times last season. In 2021 he played 4 games and was sacked 13 times (Imagine an entire season of that. Do the math). TJack and Whitehurst combined for 50 sacks in 2011. Its a recurring theme with QB's and Pete Carroll.

I know its hard for you to believe, but every problem in Seattleland isnt Wilsons fault.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think what you meant to say is without an actual quality Center any QB is doomed to get hit, hurried and sacked. Fair enough?

Unger vs the rest of the trash heep, just keep that in mind. No more JAGs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Max Unger allowed 3 sacks between 2012-2014. Quality matters, which is why Sean Payton targeted Max. Max anchored the Saint line with 3000 snaps the 3 years after the trade.

Somehow, the Saints totally won that trade even though Hawks acquired All-World Jimmy.

Seahawks have been searching for a true replacement ever since. In a great center draft, it’s time to upgrade.
Sacks numbers aren't the best to use, as Seattle centers usually aren't credited with more than 2 in a single season.

Justin Britt and Ethan Pocic both performed well, also never allowing more than 2 in a season in their stints as starting centers.

The reality of the situation is that the Unger curse that people are going on about is overblown and stems from the frustration around the passing on Creed. They've had stretches of good play at the spot since.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
True, but Pocic and Britt, best of the bunch, did have leverage issues that showed up in the passing game. Britt was a mauler in the run game, and definitely had the right attitude.

Finding a blend between leadership, on-field play management, and actual play is possible. I’m totally fine taking a guy later as long as that guy checks the boxes.

Creed is a guy that gets pointed out because Eskridge failed. I liked the move for Dee at the time, but his injury history in college came back to stunt him in the NFL.