Importance of the Center position

Did the lack of a stud Center impact Seahawks playoff and suprBowl chances?

• Yes, definitely an underrated cause after Unger was traded.

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • Maybe, but Seahawks had good enough players so it shouldn’t have mattered.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Nope, the Center position is easy to replace and it doesn’t matter.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They lost three games by one point and three more by a field goal.

If we flip those they are 11-6 instead of 5-12. They had a few other games settled by a touchdown.

With his two best offensive weapons, i'm sure it would have been a lot easier to flip those games.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I thought it was the coach’s fault?

Denver actually moved the ball pretty well but they had trouble scoring.

There were open receivers but they were missed.

The coach did that team no favors. Its why he's no longer there.

I forgot, its only Wilson that doesnt throw to open receivers around here. Also, thanks for paying so much attention to the Broncos last season. Good to know we all have an authority to turn to when we need to.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
2 pages on the original topic and 3 pages of Russell Wilson slap fight. This is why we can't have nice things...

Your right, but there is some logic to it. When Wilson was here, the center position was an afterthought. Now that he's gone, its suddenly important again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Obviously you want the best players you can get at every position, but I still really don't get why so many here are fixated on the center position and at this point it feels like a pointless discussion. Maybe that's a Seahawks twitter thing or it's just the echo chamber in here.

This franchise went to a Super Bowl once behind a top offensive line. But how far down our roster on that 2005 team do you have to go before labeling Tobeck the next best player?

Russ took 44 sacks and 42 sacks his last two seasons with Unger. The next two seasons without Unger he took 45 sacks and 41 sacks. That includes the season with the Nowak disaster at center (2015).

Why are free agent centers paid less than the other offensive line positions?

Why are centers drafted lower than almost every other position?

Why did our offense run fine last season with Blythe, who was a cheap vet pickup on a 1m guaranteed / 4m contract?

My working theory is that posters are still scapegoating Pocic for Russ's shortcomings.
Robbie Tobeck had two HOF'rs to his left, and that's where a LOT of folks think that Shawn Alexander had MOST of his easy-peasy runs, BUT, fact is, a LOT of Alexander 'The Great's' Plays were to Tobeck's RIGHT...MOST Defenses did NOT expect him to go to that side, because HOF Maulers Walter Jones & Steve Hutchinson had hammered down the Left side of the Offense...Robbie Tobeck was a SMART & SUPER-EFFICIENT Center, and is NOW being underrated for what he'd accomplished playing the Center Position.... GOOD CENTER PLAY>>MATTERS!!!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Precisely.

The middle rounds is where most teams get their Centers.

Centers don't go in the top 10. Even the generational prospects at the position. High quality centers routinely go in the 2nd.

Which has made it even more baffling how they can't seem to find a long term answer there for going on a decade. Cable years aside.
DUHHH! THINK!!! fade, THINK about what you're saying!! shit just ain't adding up with YOUR beatdown on Pete NOR on John.
You ain't got to be no Einstein to figure the equation out,
Putting down every move that Pete & John are making makes you look STUPID!

Fade

Reaction score
DUHHH! THINK!!! fade, THINK about what you're saying!! shit just ain't adding up with YOUR beatdown on Pete NOR on John.
You ain't got to be no Einstein to figure the equation out,
Putting down every move that Pete & John are making makes you look STUPID!
I don't put down every move they make. What are you talking about?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
You're not being honest Fade, you are constantly peeing on every move that YOU perceive as a screwup, when IN FACT >IF<it were you holding the reigns, you'd very likely have MORE of a negative frame of the moves than what JS & PC have had.
Just tired of the 20-20 vision looking to the past....It's really easy to point out where they COULD have done better picking in the last ten years of Drafting's, I mean hell, NOBODY, but NOBODY KNEW that McDowell (for example) was going to sh*t the bed before playing a single snap in the NFL...ALL the accolades & fooferah had him being an absolute monster, and easily a SAFE Round #1 pick.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Your right, but there is some logic to it. When Wilson was here, the center position was an afterthought. Now that he's gone, its suddenly important again.
Some people choose to read what you want…

Fade

Reaction score
You're not being honest Fade, you are constantly peeing on every move that YOU perceive as a screwup, when IN FACT >IF<it were you holding the reigns, you'd very likely have MORE of a negative frame of the moves than what JS & PC have had.
Just tired of the 20-20 vision looking to the past....It's really easy to point out where they COULD have done better picking in the last ten years of Drafting's, I mean hell, NOBODY, but NOBODY KNEW that McDowell (for example) was going to sh*t the bed before playing a single snap in the NFL...ALL the accolades & fooferah had him being an absolute monster, and easily a SAFE Round #1 pick.

If McDowell was a safe Round #1 pick he would've went in the 1st round. He wasn't.

They struggle to field a competent defense, despite the massive investment. You have to be a real special piece of work to not recognize how terrible they have been at putting that unit together for what is inching towards a decade in the not too distant future. This is a fact not my opinion.

I praise their offensive picks over the same time frame. I don't "Pee" on those as you say, because they do a good job on that side of the ball. I praised the Geno contract as well. Hell, I wish they drafted more on offense and less on defense because of this fact.

Pete Carroll DB Whispering aside, they are a trainwreck on defense. And with Clint Hurtt and co. trotting out the same mess they want to call a scheme as last year, I have zero confidence it will be any different from what we've been watching for a long time now.

Aren't you sick of it? The one being dishonest is you. Stop lying to yourself and recognize there is an issue on defense and changes at the top need to occur for it to get fixed. Most will be on my side if they are bottom 5 again after this year. There are no more excuses.

HawksNation

Reaction score
Precisely.

The middle rounds is where most teams get their Centers.

Centers don't go in the top 10. Even the generational prospects at the position. High quality centers routinely go in the 2nd.

Which has made it even more baffling how they can't seem to find a long term answer there for going on a decade. Cable years aside.
Adding we trade down at some point and end with 12 draft picks, I wouldn’t mind if we ended the draft with a Center and 2 Guards. We could have the best O line in the NFC

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The Seahawks have invested plenty into the OL including when RW was QB.

What they failed to do was draft good players or develop them.

Some of this falls on Tom Cable who had built too much credibility after we won a SB.

It is my hope with the offensive line talent we have acquired that the scouting and decision making with regards to the OL are fixed.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Another way to look at past lines, what if those added to the team were destined to fail because of how the offense was structured?

R3 re-enforced just how hard it was to block for him in Denver. We will never know for sure. But if bringing in traditional players equates to future success I think we can all breathe easier about the future.

toffee

Reaction score
We have 10 picks, more if we trade down, unless there aren't any serviceable centers available, no reason not to pick one. The question would be, to pick one of the college centers? Or a guard/tackle as conversion project.

Fade

Reaction score
Adding we trade down at some point and end with 12 draft picks, I wouldn’t mind if we ended the draft with a Center and 2 Guards. We could have the best O line in the NFC
That would be something I would be eyeing if I were the Seahawks. They have 3 young quality pieces on the O-Line already, just need 2 more and they could have the best O-Line in the NFL in a year or two.

Latest posts