Importance of the Center position

Did the lack of a stud Center impact Seahawks playoff and suprBowl chances?

• Yes, definitely an underrated cause after Unger was traded.

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • Maybe, but Seahawks had good enough players so it shouldn’t have mattered.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Nope, the Center position is easy to replace and it doesn’t matter.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

nwHawk

Reaction score
Watching more cut ups of John Michael Schmitz got me thinking. What if the Seahawks put a better emphasis on the Center position after the Unger trade.

What impact did their inability to replace Unger have on getting back to a SuprBowl? Watching Creed Humphrey making a positive impact on KC adds to the thought.

I think a major improvement would go along way to solidifying another run.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I don't think Blythe got nearly enough credit for how the line performed last year. Sure, as a blocker he's very below average.

I felt his presence helped the rest of the line all year long, and was a major reason the offense was what it was last year.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Blythe got nearly enough credit for how the line performed last year. Sure, as a blocker he's very below average.

I felt his presence helped the rest of the line all year long, and was a major reason the offense was what it was last year.
I agree ☝️. He wasn’t perfect, but he showed how bad Center had been previously filled. Blythe was a stabilizing dude, and he may be missed initially.

I was thrilled when Kyle Fuller signed with the Broncos. Just couldn’t see wasting another OL spot on him again.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Its very important. For years all I heard was how good Pocic was and how his year in Cleveland proved it. Regardless of his good year with the Browns, the guy was adsolute dog crap in Seattle.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
It's important. But, Big Walt could have time traveled, come back, played center, and we wouldn't have seriously challenged SF for the division last year.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
In a very recent interview with Eagles center Jason Kelce was asked what O line position can a team get by with the least amount of talent without hesitation his answer was Center especially if the center is playing with decent to good guards. IMO Seahawks are going to roll with Evan Brown and Joey Hunt

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
It’s very important. For years all I heard was how good Pocic was and how his year in Cleveland proved it. Regardless of his good year with the Browns, the guy was adsolute dog crap in Seattle.
In Cleveland Pocic is playing with 2 very good guards and he knows it big reason he resigned with the Browns

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Its very important. For years all I heard was how good Pocic was and how his year in Cleveland proved it. Regardless of his good year with the Browns, the guy was adsolute dog crap in Seattle.
He clearly wasn't to anyone who actually keyed in on him, especially with the sack merchant he had to deal with at quarterback.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They had Linderbaum rated really highly on their board last year.

You can get away with paying less at center. It's not a position that demands premium investment to get premium play.

Fade

Reaction score
They had Linderbaum rated really highly on their board last year.

You can get away with paying less at center. It's not a position that demands premium investment to get premium play.
Precisely.

The middle rounds is where most teams get their Centers.

Centers don't go in the top 10. Even the generational prospects at the position. High quality centers routinely go in the 2nd.

Which has made it even more baffling how they can't seem to find a long term answer there for going on a decade. Cable years aside.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I think that our biggest need is a Defensive Center!

But, I also hope that we do draft a top Offensive Center like Schmitz. It would be worth an early choice.

We have two awesome bookend Tackles that would be one year older than a drafted Center. They would be able to learn and "age together" as a group...Supposedly the key to a great offensive line is "consistency" and this could be an awesome combination... Also, we would have several years of Rookie contracts towards the cap.

Our newly signed Center, Evan Brown, could be a "mentor" and maybe a backup Guard. I cringe at memories of undersized Joey being pushed back and Fuller being too slow.

This website shows the draft history of Centers...you see a mix, but quite a few first and second round choices.
https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/c

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
It's important. But, Big Walt could have time traveled, come back, played center, and we wouldn't have seriously challenged SF for the division last year.
Well, that’s obvious. The defense was horrendous!

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
In a very recent interview with Eagles center Jason Kelce was asked what O line position can a team get by with the least amount of talent without hesitation his answer was Center especially if the center is playing with decent to good guards. IMO Seahawks are going to roll with Evan Brown and Joey Hunt
So, Jason Kelce is a center, and a stud. He also knows that point the finger and giving credit to his linemates will make them closer as a unit. Smart player. Hell of a teammate.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Obviously you want the best players you can get at every position, but I still really don't get why so many here are fixated on the center position and at this point it feels like a pointless discussion. Maybe that's a Seahawks twitter thing or it's just the echo chamber in here.

This franchise went to a Super Bowl once behind a top offensive line. But how far down our roster on that 2005 team do you have to go before labeling Tobeck the next best player?

Russ took 44 sacks and 42 sacks his last two seasons with Unger. The next two seasons without Unger he took 45 sacks and 41 sacks. That includes the season with the Nowak disaster at center (2015).

Why are free agent centers paid less than the other offensive line positions?

Why are centers drafted lower than almost every other position?

Why did our offense run fine last season with Blythe, who was a cheap vet pickup on a 1m guaranteed / 4m contract?

My working theory is that posters are still scapegoating Pocic for Russ's shortcomings.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I think that our biggest need is a Defensive Center!

But, I also hope that we do draft a top Offensive Center like Schmitz. It would be worth an early choice.

We have two awesome bookend Tackles that would be one year older than a drafted Center.
Defensive Center? I'm curious to hear what position you think that is. I'm guessing that you think it is either the Middle Linebacker because of their somewhat comparable role in communications; or a Defensive Tackle, strictly due to the proximity to both the center of the line and to the actual Center.

Schmitz is 24, the same age as Lucas. Cross is 22.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He clearly wasn't to anyone who actually keyed in on him, especially with the sack merchant he had to deal with at quarterback.

Guy attributed to a lot of those sacks. He got pancaked more than Ihop.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Guy attributed to a lot of those sacks. He got pancaked more than Ihop.
PFF attributed 2 to him in each of 2020, 2021, and 2022. WaPo (Stats Perform) attributed 1 in 2020, 2 in 2021, and 2 in 2022.

Those who watched the guy closely weren't just blowing smoke when they said he was performing well. Not a coincidence the offense started rolling in 2021 as soon as he returned to the lineup. Not a coincidence that he went to a new team and immediately got the recognition he'd earned.

This Pocic take of yours continues to age worse and worse, yet you continue doubling down. It's baffling.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Why did our offense run fine last season with Blythe, who was a cheap vet pickup on a 1m guaranteed / 4m contract?

My working theory is that posters are still scapegoating Pocic for Russ's shortcomings.
Overall, the line did run block well, but if this team is to convert 3rd and 1 or 2 yards via the run it cannot allow penetration right up the gut. Same with pressure in the face of the QB.

Many ways to fix the problem, and I do not want the team to underestimate the importance.

Latest posts