Witherspoon Hasn’t signed yet.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Could be. We can't really know for sure.

If he's looking for a higher % than Will Anderson then I would think that he and his reps are in the wrong. If he and his reps are unwilling to capitulate to a % less than Derick Hall or Will Anderson, that's on the team.
I think that Derick Hall's over all bonus money is a lot less than what Witherspoon's is, and when it comes to the distributing the money at hand, I would think that just maybe Schneider would like to have enough reserve money to maybe sign a must have Free Agent when the cuts start coming.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I believe that if the Hawks Organization pay him the 100% signing bonus, then what happens after year 3 or year 4 when he doesn't make as much money?

Would be another holdout....

Please take a moment to understand what the issue actually is here. It's not what you evidently think it is. The amount of compensation is not the issue. The cash flow in later years of the contract will be lower than in the first year, and that's not negotiable. Neither is the amount of the contract, nor how much of it is signing bonus. Those things are all already decided.

Witherspoon will be given a four-year contract worth a fully guaranteed $31.86M of total compensation, $21.17M of which is the signing bonus.

The only issue is a cash-flow issue. Witherspoon wants to receive 100% of his signing bonus immediately, like the three quarterbacks drafted ahead of him (as the first, second, and fourth players in the draft) did. The team wants to defer payment of part of the signing bonus until later. The Texans paid the other player drafted ahead of Witherspoon, Will Anderson (third pick overall in the draft), 85% of his signing bonus initially, with payment of the remaining 15% scheduled for later.

So first of all, once the contract is signed, the Seahawks will have taken on a legal obligation to pay Witherspoon 100% of his signing bonus, and in fact, 100% of the whole $31.86M of total compensation for the contract, over the four years of the contract. Neither side, nor even both sides together, can change the amount Witherspoon will get from this contract, nor how much of it will be a signing bonus. The only issue is how many actual bank transfers will be made to pay the $21.17M signing bonus. Witherspoon wants more of the bonus paid immediately than the Seahawks want to pay immediately.

Second, there is no chance for "another holdout" later. Right now, he has no contract. In the third or fourth year of his contract, he'll be under contract and therefore unable to hold out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You really think the Hawk's organization will start charging him $$ for missing TC?

Eventually when Witherspoon comes back, they will waive all the fines just like how any organization does.

They did away with being able to waive fines during the last CBA.

For the avoidance of doubt, any such fines shall be mandatory, and shall not be reduced in amount or waived by the Club, in whole or in part, but must be paid by the player or deducted by the Club as provided in Section 5(b) of this Article.

keasley45

Reaction score
I wonder if some of this is him being upset at being asked to play slot. Pete seems pretty intent on it, but Spoon might see himself as an everydown player, not just a nickel guy. Which honestly, I don't disagree with.
If I were him and was the best CB in college football, I don't think that, being the No5 overall pick, I'd be watching 1/3 of the game or more from the sideline is what I expected. Seems like an odd move to invest that high a pick on a dude who will play less than M Jackson, yet make considerably more.
Understandable if he's a little less than enthused about signing.
Also makes you wonder whether Jackson is REALLY playing as well as Pete says, or if it's spin to put Spoon at slot where he can be of more help in the run game and come off the edge in blitz packages. Pete might be trying to use his prized new piece as a 'fix' for shortcomings up front. Ie extra run stop help. Holding out would be his only leverage and making it about the % bonus paid, a way to not air dirty laundry... yet.

Nothing to substantiate this. Just wouldn't be surprised.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You really think the Hawk's organization will start charging him $$ for missing TC?

Eventually when Witherspoon comes back, they will waive all the fines just like how any organization does.
Fine him for what?? He doesn't have a contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fine him for what?? He doesn't have a contract.

He'd be missing paychecks even if he can't technically be fined yet.......and also assume there's language in the CBA about back fines once their contract is signed.

I mean, the ENTIRE reason the slotted rookie contracts were agreed to was to avoid this. So if Spoon and his agent are trying to re-invent the wheel, I don't think they're going to be successful.

Mick063

Reaction score
I wonder if some of this is him being upset at being asked to play slot. Pete seems pretty intent on it, but Spoon might see himself as an everydown player, not just a nickel guy. Which honestly, I don't disagree with.
If I were him and was the best CB in college football, I don't think that, being the No5 overall pick, I'd be watching 1/3 of the game or more from the sideline. Seems like an odd move to invest that high a pick on a dude who will play less than M Jackson, yet make considerably more.
Understandable if he's a little less than enthused about signing.
I think he will be regarded and played as an every-down player once he proves his chops on the field. Which might even happen this preseason. He can play everywhere, and when the opponent brings in a third receiver he can slide to nickel from boundary. I don't think the team envisions him on the sidelines for the bulk of his rookie deal tenure. First, he must prove his immediate worth because Carroll believes in competition, and he believes in playing his best eleven players. Witherspoon hasn't played a down yet. He hasn't even been in contact drills yet. Witherspoon was drafted on potential. That means he can develop into a premier, All-Pro cornerback but may not be immediately there yet, and he may not immediately be on the field for every defensive snap. Both things can be true at the same time.

The contract is about his agent wanting the same upfront money as Anthony Richardson, as opposed to Schneider wanting maximum cap flexibility for the upcoming cap casualties. They will come to a quick compromise and Witherspoon will be in camp. It is a nothing burger. When the fifth-year option comes up, neither this rookie contract negotiation, nor where Witherspoon is typically lined up, will have anything to do with the decision to extend him, but it will have everything to do with Witherspoon's consistency on the field.

Last edited:

KinesProf

Reaction score
also assume there's language in the CBA about back fines once their contract is signed.
You can assume. But you are wrong.

Via Brady Henderson

"Because he's not under contract, Witherspoon is not subject to fines for missing practice during training camp".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You can assume. But you are wrong.

Via Brady Henderson

"Because he's not under contract, Witherspoon is not subject to fines for missing practice during training camp".

He's still missing paychecks.

I'm not worried, I'm sure it'll get worked out quickly. Just annoying that he's the only one not signed.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Witherspoon was not a top ten pick his physical profile and speed are not elite. Gonzalez was CB1 in this draft and he will have the better career of the two. There is some bust potential with Witherspoon i would not have taken him at 5 but it was a weak draft in the top ten so Seattle pushed him up the board. I'd have been happier with Gonzalez, Bijan or hell even Mazi than Witherspoon with the 5th pick. I just don't see him as the next shut down CB certainly not on the outside i hope i'm wrong i really do.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
as I stated earlier (unlikely to happen) but lol he could sit out all yr and re-enter the draft actually.

He’s got no contract therefore no obligation to the team. Therefore the team also cannot fine him, as he’s not even under their control due to NO contract

toffee

Reaction score
He'd be missing paychecks even if he can't technically be fined yet.......and also assume there's language in the CBA about back fines once their contract is signed.

I mean, the ENTIRE reason the slotted rookie contracts were agreed to was to avoid this. So if Spoon and his agent are trying to re-invent the wheel, I don't think they're going to be successful.
But it seems like they are trying?

keasley45

Reaction score
I think he will be regarded and played as an every-down player once he proves his chops on the field. Which might even happen this preseason. He can play everywhere, and when the opponent brings in a third receiver he can slide to nickel from boundary. I don't think the team envisions him on the sidelines for the bulk of his rookie deal tenure. First, he must prove his immediate worth because Carroll believes in competition, and he believes in playing his best eleven players. Witherspoon hasn't played a down yet. He hasn't even been in contact drills yet. Witherspoon was drafted on potential. That means he can develop into a premier, All-Pro cornerback but may not be immediately there yet, and he may not immediately be on the field for every defensive snap. Both things can be true at the same time.

The contract is about his agent wanting the same upfront money as Anthony Richardson, as opposed to Schneider wanting maximum cap flexibility for the upcoming cap casualties. They will come to a quick compromise and Witherspoon will be in camp. It is a nothing burger. When the fifth-year option comes up, neither this rookie contract negotiation, nor where Witherspoon is typically lined up, will have anything to do with the decision to extend him, but it will have everything to do with Witherspoon's consistency on the field.
In another defense, i agree, he would be all over the field. In Seattle... Pete plays it pretty strightup and CBs dont leave their posts. So i dont see them making an exception for Spoon.
Last year, Bryant was on the field 66% of all defensive snaps. The only game he was pulled was week 1. So that 70% or so for a slot corner is about right.
A no5 investment in the top CB in college - thats not traditional 'prove your chops' territory. Hes about as explosive and on tape, proven, as Sauce Gardener as last year. He was selected 4th and started impressively day 1. He also received 75% of his bonus, day 1 of signing.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This could be like the Bosa situation in which it lasted near the end of August.

Some key dates-
- August 8 would be the last day to trade an unsigned rookie, can only be signed by the team that drafted him up to Nov 14
- Nov 14, if he does not sign, we lose Witherspoons rights and he can go back to the draft next year
In that scenario do we get a comp pick at equal value?

Maybe a silly question but I’m clueless/ignorant to those rules.

toffee

Reaction score
Yeah no one's really reporting what the holdup is other than "bonus payout timeline" type stuff.

I'll be worried a week from now if he isn't signed, as of now I'm just in the annoyed zone.
Same here, and getting all the money in one go is a terrible idea. He is too young and inexperienced to handle that kind of money.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Same here, and getting all the money in one go is a terrible idea. He is too young and inexperienced to handle that kind of money.
I agree. Did you see what Derick Hall did with his bonus? 1690494951044

That's one fugly truck. Maybe these young guys need a lesson from Professor Lynch -

Lagartixa

Reaction score

He'll almost certainly get all of his signing bonus in the first year, and the first payment will very likely be 75% or more of it.

And even if the difference were larger, who are you to say how much money he's ready to handle?