Witherspoon Hasn’t signed yet.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It means Fant will play "invisible"...he's too dangerous to be ignored with so many other Seahawks "demanding" coverage...with even an average defense our offense can count on adding 2-3 additional drives per game. JSN and our RB stable might mean that when our offense does begin a drive...ability to pick up irst downs might "jump"...
That's true since he's currently on the PUP list.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
That's true since he's currently on the PUP list.
Ha Ha...pre season "PUP" lists usually reflect management decisions...players already "proven" at the NFL level can be afforded precautionary protection against "freak" pre-season injury risk.

GemCity

Reaction score
I like Witherspoon and am happy to have him. But to be honest, Gonzales was the guy for me (prior to our pick).

But of course I’m riding with our guys! I think someone mentioned it, Spoon will likely be compared to Gonzales for a good portion of his career…

Jac

Reaction score
A "can't miss" prospect (unless we're talking about training camp, amirite?) I was afraid we were going to get too safe with our #5 (ironic), but at least we have JSN to make up for this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A "can't miss" prospect (unless we're talking about training camp, amirite?) I was afraid we were going to get too safe with our #5 (ironic), but at least we have JSN to make up for this.

Not that the DB position is easy to play, it's not in today's game.

But of all the position groups I'd be OK with a rookie missing time, DB is probably at the top of the list. Especially a DB like Witherspoon where he's already got tremendous instincts.

Still super annoying that he hasn't signed, but if we're picking between JSN and Witherspoon to miss a week of camp (or other rookies on the D line or O line). I'd pick Witherspoon.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What always happens to players that hold out?

They get hurt because they're trying to catch up with everyone else who showed up on time.

The injury causes them to miss time, get even further behind, and their first season is a loss.

Devon, if the Seahawks aren't going to change the way they do things for Marshawn Lynch, Kam Chancellor, or Richard Sherman, what makes you think they're going to change things for you?

Jac

Reaction score
What always happens to players that hold out?

They get hurt because they're trying to catch up with everyone else who showed up on time.

The injury causes them to miss time, get even further behind, and their first season is a loss.
That's immediately where my head went. When I heard about this holdout, my first thought was 'how long before we hear about the hamstring or groin?' if/when he signs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He signed. Everyone it's going to be okay.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1690561087445.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690561087445.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 6

rjdriver

Reaction score
He signed. Everyone it's going to be okay.

Awesome...

I'm not sure we overacted to be honest Jer. There were 259 players selected in the draft, Spoon was the very last to sign. Any die hard fan is going to be concerned about the reasoning behind that. Especially fans lucky enough to rarely sniff a top 5 pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think all rookie 1st rounder contracts are fully guaranteed now.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This is nothing. I hope. History tells us he will sign, and most likely soon. Holdouts well into training camp used to be the norm. Glad we’re past that. As soon as they implemented the rookie wage scale, holdouts became essentially non existent. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t signed by Friday.
I don’t think I’ve ever quoted myself until now. I called Friday. What’s my prize? Probably ought to by a lottery ticket. Might have to think about changing my screen name to wiseoldhawkfan! :ROFLMAO: It’s better than the wise ass monicker some have bestowed on me.

Mick063

Reaction score
Nothingburger. On to the next "concern".

kidhawk

Reaction score
surprised it took this long. I'm sure it was one detail that we will never be privy about, but I'm glad it's done now. On to bigger and better things

rcaido

Reaction score
Looks like Schneider did not budge. Its a lot smaller too. Got 64% guarantee when it was rumored he wanted 100%, didn't even get the 75%.Witherspoon was probably worried about the rapid blowback by fans, but the damage is already done.

He will have that label of me first player for awhile. He will have to ball out for people to forget about this, if he makes mistakes its only going to magnify. There were other people who wanted Carter(me) so he will be constantly compared to Carter as well. The expectation is going to be really high for this kid.

*edited*
Not sure if he actually got the 100% or not, i just woke up and for some reason i calculated the bonus signing w/ his contract. No reports on who won this dumb standoff.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Looks like Schneider did not budge. Its a lot smaller too. Got 64% guarantee when it was rumored he wanted 100%, didn't even get the 75%. Witherspoon was probably worried about the rapid blowback by fans, but the damage is already done.

He will have that label of me first player for awhile. He will have to ball out for people to forget about this, if he makes mistakes its only going to magnify. There were other people who wanted Carter(me) so he will be constantly compared to Carter as well. The expectation is going to be really high for this kid.
Expectations are already very high. He's a top 5 pick so higher than most. I hope he doesn't end up being the DB version of Aaron Curry.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Witherspoon was probably worried about the rapid blowback by fans, but the damage is already done.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but what I read wasn't that he wanted 100% of his salary up front, only the bonus which was always going to be the $20 million listed here. What I understood was that the team wanted to defer part of that bonus and he wanted the signing bonus in one payment.