Witherspoon Hasn’t signed yet.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
Some epic bedwetting going on here.
Insults or backhanded comments to people in a thread, unnecessary. God forbid people either voice a concern or opinion.. lol 😂 how about instead of a backhanded comment, try something more constructive, creative OR something that actually contributes.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I think he will sign soon. Missing a couple of days is nothing.

I wonder if it is a cap issue. Most teams picking at the top of the draft are rebuilding and have plenty of cap space. So although a number 5 pick might ordinarily expect to get his money up front, the Seahawks don't have that luxury. But couldn't they pay it up front and then spread it out over 4 or 5 years if it's a bonus?

It is not a cap issue. The amount of Witherspoon's compensation and its breakdown are already determined by his draft spot. It's a fully guaranteed $31.86M over four years, $21.17M of which is the signing bonus. No matter when the signing bonus is paid, its accounting on the cap is spread equally over the four years of the contract, so it's $5,292,500 per year of signing-bonus cap hits.
The issue is when the bonus is actually paid, and more specifically, in how many payments. A lot of teams, including the Seahawks, prefer to pay part of large signing bonuses up-front and then defer payment of the remaining part until later dates for cash-flow-reasons, not for any reason related to the salary cap.
The three quarterbacks taken ahead of Witherspoon in the draft got their full signing bonuses up-front. Will Anderson, the other player drafted ahead of Witherspoon, got 85% of his signing bonus up-front, with the remaining 15% to be paid later.
According to the sources feeding the media reports, Witherspoon wants his whole bonus paid up-front, while the Seahawks want to defer part of the payment. The amounts of the components of the contract and its cap accounting are already decided.

Mick063

Reaction score
Insults or backhanded comments to people in a thread, unnecessary. God forbid people either voice a concern or opinion.. lol 😂 how about instead of a backhanded comment, try something more constructive, creative OR something that actually contributes.
I didn't name you specifically, yet you felt compelled to feel offended. It is revealing. God forbid that concern trolls are disproportionally defended. God forbid that someone has THAT opinion. We demand our right to feel feigned outrage about nothingburgers around here. Apparently, if you complain about complainers, you are accused of "not contributing". Ever stop to consider that my opinion is being marginalized in favor of another opinion without further enlightenment as to why? I find it odd that one of the folks that feels inexplicably concerned more than most also wields some moderation power. Sheesh. Talk about cancel culture. Regardless, I will stand up to the concern trolls because the third best winning percentage of the last decade is entirely undeserving of so much disproportionate, incessant "concern". Especially on a "fan" site. People come here to feel good about their team. Not to get their fandom beaten down by concern trolls.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I know right. I thought I was the only one allowed to do that lol 😂

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
And with TC coming up.. how does this look and affect things?

Imo not a great way to start
I don't like the optics of it. Hopefully it will get sorted out.

These guys need to take a snap first before going on strike!

Not the best way to start.... but I guess we'll see.

Weadoption

Reaction score
give the kid a break already, it takes two to tango when it comes to getting any contract done, in any endeavor. For the first few weeks of camp i doubt a player of his caliber is even missing much, he’s a natural cover corner and a violent tackling machine.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I didn't name you specifically, yet you felt compelled to feel offended. It is revealing. God forbid that concern trolls are disproportionally defended. God forbid that someone has THAT opinion. We demand our right to feel feigned outrage about nothingburgers around here. Apparently, if you complain about complainers, you are accused of "not contributing". Ever stop to consider that my opinion is being marginalized in favor of another opinion without further enlightenment as to why? I find it odd that one of the folks that feels inexplicably concerned more than most also wields some moderation power. Sheesh. Talk about cancel culture. Regardless, I will stand up to the concern trolls because the third best winning percentage of the last decade is entirely undeserving of so much disproportionate, incessant "concern". Especially on a "fan" site. People come here to feel good about their team. Not to get their fandom beaten down by concern trolls.
I can guarantee he wasn’t offended.

bileever

Reaction score
It is not a cap issue. The amount of Witherspoon's compensation and its breakdown are already determined by his draft spot. It's a fully guaranteed $31.86M over four years, $21.17M of which is the signing bonus. No matter when the signing bonus is paid, its accounting on the cap is spread equally over the four years of the contract, so it's $5,292,500 per year of signing-bonus cap hits.
The issue is when the bonus is actually paid, and more specifically, in how many payments. A lot of teams, including the Seahawks, prefer to pay part of large signing bonuses up-front and then defer payment of the remaining part until later dates for cash-flow-reasons, not for any reason related to the salary cap.
The three quarterbacks taken ahead of Witherspoon in the draft got their full signing bonuses up-front. Will Anderson, the other player drafted ahead of Witherspoon, got 85% of his signing bonus up-front, with the remaining 15% to be paid later.
According to the sources feeding the media reports, Witherspoon wants his whole bonus paid up-front, while the Seahawks want to defer part of the payment. The amounts of the components of the contract and its cap accounting are already decided.
So that was my question, and you seem to answer it. So there is absolutely no impact on this year's cap whether the bonus is paid up front or in installments? Then I say pay the guy his bonus!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schneider is a notoriously tough negotiator when it comes to bonuses. He likes to push them out as far as he can, and I assume Witherspoon and his agent are trying to get more bonus earlier in the contract.

I feel like all this should also be slotted. I thought this was the entire reason the league and NFLPA agreed to slotted draft salaries.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

hawkfan68

Reaction score
As each day goes by without an agreement, it becomes a larger concern from both sides, not just Witherspoon but the Seahawks as well. They had over 2 months to get this done. All the other draft picks are signed, Witherspoon is the only one left. Even though JS is a tough negotiator, this should have been taken care of before this point. Maybe Witherspoon's agent is new to the process. Who knows but if they have worked with other players who are signed, then what's the hold up on the Seahawks side. Not blaming one party. It takes two to tango.

rcaido

Reaction score
If your draft pick thinks he deserve the same amount of bonus upfront(85%) as the guy that got picked before him, just give him the money. Its 1.2 million that's going to be spread out for 4 years. That is some petty stuff by Schneider.

Now if Witherspoon wants 100% of the bonus like the top 3 but not the 4th pic, then this dude or his agent is going to be a problem.

Either way, this a bad look. Not good way to start Training Camp.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
The article brings up Kam and Earl.. except when they held out or made "requests/demands" they were known and proven Vets.. this kid is just currently a college "all star" and hasn't proven sh!* until he step foot on that field and plays on game day.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's Spoon's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that's at the core of this stalemate.

Rosenhaus' future clients will be affected by Spoon's contract... either directly or indirectly.

Let's shift the blame in his (Rosenhaus) direction for a while.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's Spoon's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that's at the core of this stalemate.

Rosenhaus' future clients will be affected by Spoon's contract... either directly or indirectly.
I thought i read somewhere it was Reggie Johnson and Tory Dandy of Creative Artists Agency

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Let's shift the blame in his (Rosenhaus) direction for a while.
According to Spotrac, Witherspoon is represented by CAA Sports - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/devon-witherspoon-82282/

Here's a list of NFL players represented by them, they are also representing Trenton Simpson and Peter Skronski who were also in this year's draft. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/agents/?agency=caa-sports