With the trade deadline looming

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Do the Hawks sacrifice a draft pick to add a linebacker? Maybe package Barton and Lock in with a late round pick for an immediate impact player?

QWERTY

Reaction score
Do the Hawks sacrifice a draft pick to add a linebacker? Maybe package Barton and Lock in with a late round pick for an immediate impact player?
Why would they take a late round pick for Lock's contract? No one would be interested in a expiring QB2 deal.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Why would they take a late round pick for Lock's contract? No one would be interested in a expiring QB2 deal.
Why did Oakland trade for Matt Flynn?

I have to agree with @QWERTY here, because Lock's contract situation now is completely different from Flynn's in the 2013 offseason.
The Raiders traded for Flynn in 2013 because there were still two seasons left on his contract and they thought he might be useful to them in those two seasons.
Lock is a free agent after this season. Who would want to trade draft capital for half a season of a backup QB? Maybe a desperate team that lost its starter, has to start the backup, and now needs a new backup for the backup-turned-starter, but are there any teams now in that position? And wouldn't it be easier to just sign a QB off somebody's practice squad?

seabowl

Reaction score
I love when people suggest other teams take our trash and give us a good player. IMO Roaquan Smith is a player I would target but it will take more than trash to get him. With all this said I hate the trade high picks and then have to pay a new big contract to the player deals. Almost never works out.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Realistically if you are trying to trade Barton and a pick for a linebacker, you’re going to get an below average linebacker in return. You’re not getting roaquan smith

QWERTY

Reaction score
Also the only time the organization or any can get a good player by trade is when, you see guys like Antonio brown or roby Anderson.

Nunya

Reaction score
Lock is not going anywhere. He is the backup that I'm sure they feel would be able to perform adequately if anything happened to Geno. The only other QB on the roster is Sean Mannion...a QB that has only played 14 games in 7 seasons. Currently Mannion is being used as the practice squad QB.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Are the Seahawks a player away from being a Super Bowl contender. The answer is, unlikely. That being said I believe it is not in the Seahawks best interest to trade away what's looking like high draft picks for a player that doesn't get us to contender status. Imagine if we hit on the upcoming 2023 draft like we did this draft. Can you imagine having 12 -14 high level players on their first contract. Then maybe pulling the trigger on that type of player is the answer. Patience with these upcoming draft slots is the long term answer for us...

ivotuk

Reaction score
With our late round picks we've drafted KJ Wright, Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Michael Bennett was an UDFA, just to name a few. Then you add Coby Bryant, Abe Lucas, Tariq Woolen....

Which of those players, on rookie contracts would you give up , along with a new contract, for someone else's has-been linebacker? Our defense is doing great! Why change things up and throw away a draft pick?

Haven't people learned anything from our trade failures in the past? Trade picks for Player A, give Player A a new contract because they now have the leverage, then find out that the other team hid injury history and your new toy goes right on IR. =FAIL

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Barton's snaps on defense have been severely cut in the last two games.

He went from averaging 59.4 through the first five games down to 36.5 in the last two. That's a 40% reduction. So, it appears that Barton's lackluster play has been noticed by the coaching staff as well as by us fans.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Are the Seahawks a player away from being a Super Bowl contender. The answer is, unlikely. That being said I believe it is not in the Seahawks best interest to trade away what's looking like high draft picks for a player that doesn't get us to contender status. Imagine if we hit on the upcoming 2023 draft like we did this draft. Can you imagine having 12 -14 high level players on their first contract. Then maybe pulling the trigger on that type of player is the answer. Patience with these upcoming draft slots is the long term answer for us...

Why not?

They are the #3 seed currently.

Aren't 3 seeds considered SB contenders?

This isnt September anymore :)

I dont want to necessarily mortgage what appears to be a bright future either, but if the right deal came along, go for it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Please no. The team is playing great but stick to the plan and continue to use the draft to stockpile a ton of high end talent. I don't think the team is there yet that we need to waste capitol on vets for a playoff run. Now if you can get a steal like you did with Lynch or someone then sure but as a general rule, I hope they don't do anything to change the haul they have coming.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
What was I thinking nobody wants Barton when you really analyze it. We’re just gonna have to win it all with what we have on roster which ain’t bad

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I love how fans always think some other team is going to pay you to take out your trash. Barton and Lock ain't worth squat. Everyone is seeing the fleecing the Hawks put on the Broncos. They aren't going to give up a good player for a throw-in QB that is basically an afterthought and probably will be a FA this offseason.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
If the
If they hit on half as many draft picks next year, they'll be in great shape.