Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Shane Waldron

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 37 17.7%

• Total voters

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think we should kick the tires on John Wooden.

I know he was a basketball coach, and he's dead, but still.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Two Brains. Bengals OC Brain Callahan and Ravens OC Brain Johnson. Can't have enough Brains to choose from.

James in PA

Reaction score
Matty Hass made some good points the other day when talking about who the next Hawks head coach should be. He said everyone is always looking for brilliant X's and O's guys. He said those guys are easier to find than true leaders of men and culture builders. That's why we see so many guys who are great coordinators but suck at being head coaches.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Matty Hass made some good points the other day when talking about who the next Hawks head coach should be. He said everyone is always looking for brilliant X's and O's guys. He said those guys are easier to find than true leaders of men and culture builders. That's why we see so many guys who are great coordinators but suck at being head coaches.
I heard it and I love Hasselbeck but I think he's stuck in what worked for his era. I just think the NFL is different now and the guys who are successful are the guys he says he would avoid. He may be right and he knows more about football than I do but I just think he's a little off base here. Sometimes its specific to a team as well. I think because Pete was exactly what he's talking about now they should go in a different direcction. If they were coming from a brilliant offensive mind and it failed then I would maybe agree?

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
This is a great and underrated point. The great coordinators who have worked out have all been good leaders and culture builders in addition to being good X's and O's guys. The great coordinators who flame out quickly are missing the leadership and culture aspects. The X's and O's are the top criteria for hiring coordinators, but X's and O's should take a backseat to leadership and culture when hiring head coaches. I want John to hire a great leader who brings in bright young X's and O's guys as coordinators.

Chawker

Reaction score
The Xs and Os guys will come in the form of the cordinators, what we need in a HC is a great communicator,and a leader, a larger-than-life type.

Cheers

Wheetie

Reaction score
This is a great and underrated point. The great coordinators who have worked out have all been good leaders and culture builders in addition to being good X's and O's guys. The great coordinators who flame out quickly are missing the leadership and culture aspects. The X's and O's are the top criteria for hiring coordinators, but X's and O's should take a backseat to leadership and culture when hiring head coaches. I want John to hire a great leader who brings in bright young X's and O's guys as coordinators.
Just curious, the most successful HC of this century is Belichick. Do you consider him a great culture builder? I just want a guy who can get these MEN, who are paid millions of dollars, to do their frickin' jobs well. I really don't care about the kumbaya stroking of feelings that people think is a good culture, without having success, anymore.

xray

Reaction score
Yes. The Patriot way is different from the culture Pete built, but it's a culture, nonetheless.
I like the " Do Your Job " culture . Just Do it . :)

xray

Reaction score
I want a HC ; when after a loss , doesn't rah-rah & sugarcoat the loss as a " positive learning experience that we can be proud of." There are no participation awards in the NFL . No more BS powderpuff inspirational speeches plz .

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
The Titans have been trending downward. I don't know if it's Vrabel's fault, the GM, or both. I don't follow the NFL enough to know (or care, TBH). Coordinators are always a gamble though.

NINEster

Reaction score
Look at all the teams he coached for DC. All of them exceeded.

Bills D was nasty
Eagles D was nasty
Browns D is nasty.

I don't want to manifest this....but Schwartz' record against Kyle Shanahan is better than any other DC in the league by a mile.

Many of those wins came from having a better team, but the 2016 Falcons lost to the Eagles, 2021 Titans (he was an assistant) beat the Niners, and the Browns stifled the 49ers offense this year.

Schwartz in Seattle would channel those defenses against the Niners like Wilson used to. He does pretty well against McVay too....

LOL.

The good news is that Schwartz isn't being considered for an HC vacancy, and is still under contract in Cleveland.

Phew!

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
Just curious, the most successful HC of this century is Belichick. Do you consider him a great culture builder? I just want a guy who can get these MEN, who are paid millions of dollars, to do their frickin' jobs well. I really don't care about the kumbaya stroking of feelings that people think is a good culture, without having success, anymore.
TEAM FIRST and DO YOUR JOB is culture. BB left the touchy-feelies to the rest of the coaching staff and it worked fine.

I've heard how all these players want to come to the Seahawks because of the YOU BE YOU culture and PC, but I have some trouble seeing the reality of that proposition.

Since 2015, what blue-chip FAs have decided to come to the team? Why have we consistently had to overpay FAs like Dre'Mont because we needed a band-aid? Doesn't it seems that most FAs are closer to Mario Edwards than Michael Bennett? When was the last time one of our own FAs gave the Seahawks an unmistakable hometown discount?

BB constantly snagged top FAs at discount prices. They didn't care about being coddled - they wanted to win a frigging ring! They knew they were going into a tough coaching environment and preferred that over playing with a bunch of teammates who were there because they were coach's favorites whether or not they were adding value to the team.

Some players like the unaccountable touchy-feely environment.

Others just want to win.

I prefer the latter.

renofox

Reaction score
Just one more note on the importance of what we are calling culture.

How often do you hear of successful teams having negative culture issues?

You don't. Because winning cures all.

Which is the better path to a winning culture? YOU BE YOU or DO YOUR JOB?

I believe that excessive YBY ends up with what we saw from the Seahawks to end the season - players making business decisions and playing soft, and mistakes galore by players who were having a lot of fun at practice but maybe not focusing enough to absorb their assignments. I don't know exactly why but these guys were constantly looking flat, hesitant, and confused.

I don't think this type of crap happens near as much in a DYJ culture. I think that you just need to win games and the players will embrace a DYJ culture of accountability and raise their performance even higher.

Besides, if you aren't winning games as a a HC you won't be here long anyway. If you aren't winning, it's Next Man Up.

SeaWolv

Reaction score

Latest posts