Who’s your Seahawks Mount Rushmore

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Admittedly I didn't watch Largent. Definitely a fan fav, but didn't other Seahawk receivers beat his single-season records? (Engram, Doug, Lockett) Someone school me on his greatness. If he was a receiver in today's game, would he be dominating? What made him special?

Largent had Zorn and Krieg throwing him the ball. Think about that for a minute.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Largent had Zorn and Krieg throwing him the ball. Think about that for a minute.
Yea records and stats aside, he definitely deserves one of the spots on Rushmore. His tenure from 76-89 is impressive alone. Mr. OG - Original Seahawk

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I swear to God that the following is the truth. I wrote a letter to the Seahawk organization (the only letter I have ever written to them) begging them to draft Kenny Easley. I'm sure I had absolutely no impact on their decision, because they didn't draft Neil Lomax who was also mentioned in that same letter. I did, however, feel elated about them taking Easley. His career was short but sweet. He was widely regarded as the best player at his position for at least a couple of years.

I included Sherman because his NFCCG post-game interview with Erin Andrews probably ranks as the top two iconic moment in Seahawk history although Lynch's "beastquake" certainly can be argued to be as well. But it was Sherman's tip that created the path for Seattle's ONLY championship. Never forget that fans.

Lynch was always super impressive. Even before he landed in Seattle. The poster child of a power runner. Why did Buffalo make that trade? Talk about worst trades of all time. What were they thinking?

Someone declared Anthony Munoz to be a better tackle than Jones. Blasphemy. No offensive lineman consistently graded out better than Jones in NFL history. Period. He went on multiple game streaks where he graded out with a perfect score. You can't top perfection. You can only try to equal it when drawing comparisons. He went entire seasons of allowing the fewest sacks AND committing the fewest holding penalties.

Curt Warner's very first carry as a rookie is an extremely memorable moment to me. He is a top ten Seahawk for sure. I was giddy with excitement about a rookie being so explosive right out of the gate.

Jacob Green was every bit as good, if not better than Cliff Avril, and I hold Avril in the highest regard. He is probably the most undervalued Seahawk of all time.

John L. Williams was the best receiver out of the backfield in Seahawk history. Mack Strong was the best all-around fullback in Seahawk history. I'm talking blocking, running, and receiving. He could block downfield. He could protect the QB blindside. He could run with power. He had burst. He could catch.

No one could catch the ball in traffic like Brian Blades. He was just fearless and back then, "defenseless receiver" was the norm. Blades took the most wicked shots and still hung on. Blades is the definition of toughness.

Bobby Wagner will go down as the best linebacker in Seahawk history, he is a lock for the first ballot, and in my book, can be mentioned in the same breath as Willie Lanier, Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, and Ray Lewis.

I have never seen a safety "blow up" pulling guards like Kam Chancellor. He is every bit as responsible for the Seahawk championship as ANYONE. He SHOWED UP for the biggest game of his career. There is something to be said for that. He set the tone, but he simply did so his entire career. Seattle's defense led several categories for multiple years for one single reason. The opposing teams were put into predictable passing downs because on first down, Kam was blowing up offensive guards. Pundits talk about defensive tackles clearing pathways for the middle linebackers to roam free. Kam was the only safety I have ever seen that could reliably fulfill that same role. In other words, he was doing defensive tackle work on first down, and then dropping back in coverage on third and long.

Steve Largent is just a legend and I'm sorry if you never got the opportunity to watch him play on a weekly basis. It is your loss because you missed out on "special". If you didn't get that opportunity, then you simply aren't qualified to determine the "Mount Rushmore" because you don't know what you don't know. Don't even go there with statistics. Rice had to break someone's records. Guess whose records those were?
I appreciate this great walk down memory lane. We've had some wonderful players up here in Siberia. A name that doesn't get mentioned a lot, but I hope that doesn't mean he's not remembered, is Rufus Porter. Not a Rushmore candidate but I'd sure like to see his clone with us...and soon.

That was also a great Easley memory. I've probably told mine 1,000,000 x but I'm not sure I've done so here. In the Kingdome I talked him into throwing me his jersey. I couldn't believe it when he did and my elation lasted about a minute before security (literally) wrestled it away from me. "Property of the Seattle Seahawks". It was nearly a mob scene with many in our vicinity throwing beer at the overzealous ass-hats. Still bummed out about it all.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
But no question Kam gave us some great memories. The hit on Vern Davis ruined the guy. Or at least he didn't talk as much smack, thereafter.

But the hit I will always remember as one of the most important plays in Seahawk history was his hit on Damaryius Thomas in the SB. As huge as Sherm's "tip" was, that hit may have been as big or bigger. Going into that game I was super concerned about the slants Manning loved to throw to his receivers. Not unlike Montana to Rice or Brady to Welker. When Kam NAILED Thomas, and I think put him out of the game, I turned to my friends and with all certainty exclaimed " It's over. We just won our first Super bowl". I think there was still 55 mins left. I didn't care. People will always remember Beastquake and the Tip, but that hit was every bit as iconic, imo.

byau

Reaction score
It's almost like you need two mountains facing each other
Largent, Tez, Walter, Easley to me without question
Modern Day: Russell, Wagz, Pete, Paul Allen.

There is a lot of talent on the 2012+ team, but the ones that have stood out to me are Russ and Wagz by far, and as we need four heads there, I really would give it to Coach Carroll and Mr. Paul Allen.

My reasons: Paul Allen saving the Seahawks from being moved to So.Cal (Behring had already moved into the facilities down to Anaheim before Allen stepped in!). Coach Carroll has said he never in a million years would have left USC had it not been for Paul Allen selling him on the vision. And now we've gone to the playoffs 11 out of 13 seasons and two SBs and an SB win.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mt Rushmore to me is more for player honors. Paul Allen would be on the Seahawks Mt. Everest. He singlehandedly saved pro football in Seattle. That by far exceeds any accomplishment, in my opinion.

byau

Reaction score
Mt Rushmore to me is more for player honors. Paul Allen would be on the Seahawks Mt. Everest. He singlehandedly saved pro football in Seattle. That by far exceeds any accomplishment, in my opinion.
Fair take.

Playerwise: Okay besides Russ and Wagner, struggling to find anyone else to add. Maybe Chancellor. Part of me wants to put Marshawn in also, but I think those are both emotion and also forcing myself to add two more. I don't have clear choices of anyone else so I guess I would leave those two spots open for future.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Fair take.

Playerwise: Okay besides Russ and Wagner, struggling to find anyone else to add. Maybe Chancellor. Part of me wants to put Marshawn in also, but I think those are both emotion and also forcing myself to add two more. I don't have clear choices of anyone else so I guess I would leave those two spots open for future.
Thanks byau. You have a interesting take too. Wouldn’t you include Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Walter Jones, and Cortez Kennedy. So if there was limit to only 4 players, they would be my choices. That’s why for me it’s not just 4 players. Wilson, Wagner, Kam, Lynch, Sherman have convincing arguments for them to be included as well.

Last edited:

byau

Reaction score
Thanks byau. You have a interesting take too. Wouldn’t you include Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Walter Jones, and Cortez Kennedy. So if there was limit to only 4 players, they would be my choices. That’s why for me it’s not just 4 players. Wilson, Wagner, Kam, Lynch, Sherman have convincing for them to be included as well.

Oh yes I would, 100% agree with you. My original post was including the four HOFers, without question.

I was saying I would likely have to do a "vintage" era Mount Rushmore and then a "modern" era Mount Rushmore. The modern era meaning the Pete Carroll era.

For sure Largent, Easley, Jones, Kennedy would be on there. And if I had to stay at four, it would be them. For a second four, right now just Russ and Wags. At this point I don't think I would replace any of the original four with Russ and Wags yet, I think some more years would need to pass to see how the legacy forms.

Of the Carroll era and beyond, I think part of what I have an issue with is that as great as the team was, seems the toxicity of not letting go of SB49 had its reaches, and so the credit they get for making that team great, seems fair they get credit for the dismantling as well. Not quite the legacy I'd want to enshrine.

IMO that's why Wagz stands out, because he just did all the hard work and did his best regardless of the roster situation. To some extent, same for Russ though that could probably be debated (how his legacy turns out).

Last edited:

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Fair take.

But one thing that just never can be forgotten is that Marshawn changed the identity of our franchise. Prior to Beastmode, most saw us as a soft team. In fact, I saw us as a soft team. I've had friends that played in the NFL and one ****** went so far as to say he saw the Hawks as the next best thing to a rest week. Seriously. Marshawn brought an attitude that infected the entire team. In fairness, sometimes to our detriment. I say that cuz he was a very hard guy to spell or replace. Not every back could run like Lynch and trying to, imo, all but ruined both Carson and Rawls.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
There have been so many heros since the start of the Seahawks that I think there should be two Mount Rushmore's for our team including one of owner and coaches...

Paul Allen...for saving our beloved Seahawks from being deported to LA by Ken Behring (Sonics anyone?)
Chuck Knox...it was exciting to watch Curt Warner and other backs such as Smith and Sims and a wild passing game with Zorn, Kreig and Largent.
Mike Holmgren...for bringing back respectability to the team.
Pete Carol...for a Super Bowl win and many years of exciting football.

There have been many outstanding players over the years. I am sorry to leave out Kenny Easley and Bobby Wagner, who are both personal favorites...but these guys will work.

Steve Largent
Cortez Kennedy
Walter Jones
Marshawn Lynch

irfuben32

Reaction score
Walter Jones
Marshawn Lynch
Kenny Easley
Kam Chancellor

Those are my guys

Walter Jones is a no brainer. One of the best to ever play this game.

Kam should have been MVP of SB 49

Tough to leave off a BUNCH of players but to me Kam and Marshawn both just physically dominated in a way that few ever have in this league. That 2013 team was so freaking loaded. A case could be made for Sherman, Earl, Wagner. When prime Bobby Wagner isn't even clearly the best player on your defense...

Tez, Easley, Largent I had to pick one from the early days. Easley it is. They all would be fine choices.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The three locks in my opinion are:

Walt
Largent
Cortez

The only question for the fourth person would be Wilson versus Wagner. In my opinion, Wilson gets the nod over Wagner because he literally carried this offense for a number of years on his back and was by far the best quarterback this team has ever had.
I agree on the three “locks”, and 5 years ago I probably would have put Russ on there because of his play at the QB position. But I do think Russ played with guys that were better than pedestrians, in hindsight.

Sherman should be considered. I didn’t like his personality, but talk about teams changing their playbook due to one player. Man, Sherm made teams, even Erin Rodgers completely ignore his side of the field for several years. His “tip” is one of the greatest plays in Seahawks history.

He walked the walk when he was a nobody, pointed the spotlight on himself and the team, in New Orleans during a Super Bowl. Called out the best players, such as Revis, then willed himself to excellence. That definitely sharpened the iron of his teammates.

Walt, Tez, Largent and Sherman

I was tempted to go with the godfather, BamBam, but no matter what some great players have to get left off.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I get the argument for Sherman and he was great. Definitely ROH but Dave Brown was incredible in his era at CB. There are so many that deserve to be on the Seahawk Mt. Rushmore, for sure.

Here's a sample of the things he did -

I agree Brown was a treat to watch, but Sherman played during more of a throwing era. Ground Chuck, Marty Ball, etc…

nwHawk

Reaction score
Dilfers name should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Russell Wilson. Prior to two years ago Wilson in my opinion was a lock for the Hall of Fame. It’s mind-boggling to me how many people forget what he did on the field for so many years.
For those of us that watched Curt Warner get drafted and play early… oh never mind.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Jones
Lynch
Cortez
Wagner

Wilson can be down below with someone’s foot on his head.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Wagner is up there for sure. Pure class, absolutely a stud. I wouldn’t question him up there at all.

Latest posts