What wrong with Payton?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The Broncos are so screwed. They signed a horrible contract to an aging used to be mobile QB. And when that didn't work they doubled down and got an overrated ahole head coach. I can't wait until Sean Payton falls flat on his face without Russell Wilson. Who will he blame then?
Given where the Broncos have been since their Super Bowl win at the QB position, what they gave up in the trade is understandable. This team has been in a terrible HC/QB rut for the better part of a decade.

Extending Wilson with two years left on his contract is a huge problem. I'm sure there was concern he'd walk if he didn't get extended until after the first year on the team, but the flip side of this has been catastrophic for them. That's on George Paton, and it seems like he's going to go down this year too.

They traded another first and second to get Sean Payton. He might not work out so well either, and if he doesn't that's the team spending another several seasons spinning it's wheels while dumping tons in draft capital and dead cap hits.

If I was a Broncos fan I'd just accept my fate at this point and take solace in the fact that they at least didn't get Deshaun Watson on a quarter billion guaranteed.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
So Broncos wanted to bench him in early November, but to bench him for on the ground of financial grounds would be illegal, bench him under coaching decisions could be legal. Things did not go ownership/coaches' way in Nov and a good part of December when the team had that 5 games winning streak, how inconvenient. Finally, the team suffered a two game losing streak, lol, in came the coaching decisions.

The ownership, front office, and head coach was secretly wishing the team didn't win in Nov, as winning prevented them from benching Wilson. Allowing Wilson to play was a risk, that injury/financial risk.

Some Hollywood type should start scripting a movie for these two month in Denver, where head coach, front office and ownership wanting the team not to win while the players were enjoying a 5 game winning streak.
Yup. Sums it up.

NoGain

Reaction score
Ryan Clark should avoid the business sector because what he's described is what good executives do when coming to an underperforming company. Payton established himself as the leader from day one and ensured the highest-paid player was on notice that no one was bigger than the team.
There's been plenty of business leaders with oversized egos who have come in with guns blazing and failed spectacularly to set the company on the right course. Elon Musk at Twitter immediately comes to mind.

"What all good executives do..." is far too general of a statement to use in defense of Sean Payton and his recent behavior and management style.

knownone

Reaction score
There's been plenty of business leaders with oversized egos who have come in with guns blazing and failed spectacularly to set the company on the right course. Elon Musk at Twitter immediately comes to mind.

"What all good executives do..." is far too general of a statement to use in defense of Sean Payton and his recent behavior and management style.
Reread my post. I didn't say that's what all good executives do. And it wasn't a defense of Payton. It was a criticism of Clark's choice of words. Payton's actions are not "thuggish" by any stretch of the imagination.

NoGain

Reaction score
Reread my post. I didn't say that's what all good executives do. And it wasn't a defense of Payton. It was a criticism of Clark's choice of words. Payton's actions are not "thuggish" by any stretch of the imagination.
My choice of words wouldn't be thuggish. I chose classless jerk to describe Payton since he arrived in Denver. Not my kind of leadership style.