What wrong with Payton?

toffee

Reaction score
What's wrong with Payton? Why does he have to insult Wilson regularly?

NoGain

Reaction score
RW taking a pay cut when he knows he'll never recoup it...LOL. But hey, I wouldn't either. I'd want my 85 million to set up whatever venture I might have in store for the rest of my life.

keasley45

Reaction score
What's wrong with Payton? Why does he have to insult Wilson regularly?

It might be because he's tired of having to win games with smoke and mirrors and just eek by, when he knows he's a capable coach and the team could be better.

That, and he has to go week in and week out without saying what the actual problem is for the sake of preventing a media circus by acknowledging that the supposed future HOF qb he inherited can't even run his playbook.

If you actually give credence to Terry Bradshaw's word that Payton didn't want to come to Denver BEACAUSE of Wilson, it all makes logical sense. And if you recall Paytons annoyance at having to deal with Russell and his private office... camp reports that the offense wasn't where it needed to be, his annoyance (and Brees's) that Russ was constantly blowing up Drew's phone trying to buddy up with him, and Payton's lone praise of Wilson during camp when asked how it was working with him being that Russ was 'eager to please'... none of it is a surprise.

Payton doesn't like Russ because he has played at being something he is not. Russ has made himself the hero and those around him who knew the truth about him, the villains. Pete, Schneider... he basically threw Schotty under the bus in his praise and exhuberance at the Waldron hire. He passively allowed folks to place the blame for Denver's failure last year at Hackett's feet.... and he fanously tossed his Seattle teammates under the bus by saying he was tired of having to carry the team. I dont think any of that sat well at all with a coach who's job it is to divine the truth of a players ability at the qb position.

Payton knew it before he took the job and has had to go through an entire season handcuffed to the dude. He knew, because hes a master of offense and anyone with a free afternoon to spare and game film of Me3 can see where his faults are. I mean, Payton pretty much said that one of his first jobs was looking through Russ's tape during his time in Seattle to find the stuff he was good at. And that research yielded the 2023 denver Broncos passing offense. Why? Because he couldnt translate broken play success into an offense.

I know that sounds like 'hate', but I guarantee you in a few years when we look back at his career and everything that transpired, it will be obvious.

Edit to add :

that another one of the obvious signs that Russ isnt getting it and Payton is fed up came early in the season after the loss to Washington. There was a brief uproar about a missed PI call on Russ's missed 2pt conversion to seal the comeback. Media asked Payton if he was upset about it and his response? That the game shouldnt have come down to that play and that Russ missed the actual open receiver on it. Controversy over. Message sent.

Last edited:

Aircrew

Reaction score
It might be because he's tired of having to win games with smoke and mirrors and just eek by, when he knows he's a capable coach and the team could be better.

That, and he has to go week in and week out without saying what the actual problem is for the sake of preventing a media circus by acknowledging that the supposed future HOF qb he inherited can't even run his playbook.

If you actually give credence to Terry Bradshaw's word that Payton didn't want to come to Denver BEACAUSE of Wilson, it all makes logical sense. And if you recall Paytons annoyance at having to deal with Russell and his private office... camp reports that the offense wasn't where it needed to be, his annoyance (and Brees's) that Russ was constantly blowing up Drew's phone trying to buddy up with him, and Payton's lone praise of Wilson during camp when asked how it was working with him being that Russ was 'eager to please'... none of it is a surprise.

Payton doesn't like Russ because he has played at being something he is not. Russ has made himself the hero and those around him who knew the truth about him, the villains. Pete, Schneider... he basically threw Schotty under the bus in his praise and exhuberance at the Waldron hire. He passively allowed folks to place the blame for Denver's failure last year at Hackett's feet.... and he fanously tossed his Seattle teammates under the bus by saying he was tired of having to carry the team. I dont think any of that sat well at all with a coach who's job it is to divine the truth of a players ability at the qb position.

Payton knew it before he took the job and has had to go through an entire season handcuffed to the dude. He knew, because hes a master of offense and anyone with a free afternoon to spare and game film of Me3 can see where his faults are. I mean, Payton pretty much said that one of his first jobs was looking through Russ's tape during his time in Seattle to find the stuff he was good at. And that research yielded the 2023 denver Broncos passing offense. Why? Because he couldnt translate broken play success into an offense.

I know that sounds like 'hate', but I guarantee you in a few years when we look back at his career and everything that transpired, it will be obvious.
Fantastic post, couldn't agree more.

Cyrus12

Reaction score

Edit to add :

that another one of the obvious signs that Russ isnt getting it and Payton is fed up came early in the season after the loss to Washington. There was a brief uproar about a missed PI call on Russ's missed 2pt conversion to seal the comeback. Media asked Payton if he was upset about it and his response? That the game shouldnt have come down to that play and that Russ missed the actual open receiver on it. Controversy over. Message sent.
Great post!!! 💯

Welshers2

Reaction score
Karma, is all I'll say. He went to ownership in Seattle and tried to get PC fired so they could hire.... Sean Payton.

Now, Sean Payton has in effect, fired Wilson.

What goes around, comes around, right Russ?
This, this, and so much this. Sean Payton is a giant dick but he's exactly who Russ deserves

chris98251

Reaction score
Called this to happen, expected it much sooner though, Mr Irrelevant, Mr Eliminated, ME3, is what we all called him to be while dodging the verbal daggers thrown by his worshippers. He has many limitations that make an offense predictable, he has illusions of being more than he is and has been exorcised from both North Carolina due to this as well as here and now Denver. Without a formidable line and elite running back, with WR's that can run scramble drills like Baldwin he really is a liability. He took the league by surprise but when they figured out to line the DE's wide and have a spy so he had to run his loop ti do's with limited chance for escape his star started to lose it's luster. Then he became a head case and self absorbed and blind to his limitations. Thanks Ciara....

Threedee

Reaction score
The weird thing is that, presumably, Payton came out of retirement for the opportunity to coach a presumed star. Now that he's pushed Wilson out, what's his motivation to stay in Denver?