Sean Payton lights into Hackett

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
As if Rodgers didn’t ball out in the same system. You know it’s funny how everyone loved Hackett this time last year and suddenly he gets all the blame. I’ll compare the Jets O with Hackett to Payton in Denver at week 10 and see what’s up. Be humble Payton. This a bad look for him

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Head coaching job and OC are two massively different jobs. Plenty of people have been incredible and one and terrible at the other. Coaching is super hard, nuanced and very complex. If Payton said it he probably has a decent reason to think so but I guess we will see how it plays out.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sean Payton doesnt have room to really speak or say much about hackett... dude had bounty gate... lol Hackett had a QB that played by his own rules and lobbied other players for Payton.
bountygate.

i remind everyone of it every. single. time. this. douchebag's. name. comes. up.

He's just such an fing weasel dicked snake.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hackett basically let Wilson run the show. He was a terrible head coach for that alone. Never mind his awful clock management, choosing to go for a 64 yard field goal outside Denver, or the fact that he buried his head in the sand when his players started fighting each other. He was in over his head. Also, worth mentioning, he's been an awful coordinator whenever he didn't have Aaron Rodgers at QB.

This is not a defense of Wilson. He has ego for days. Just saying Hackett was an idiot.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hackett basically let Wilson run the show. He was a terrible head coach for that alone. Never mind his awful clock management, choosing to go for a 64 yard field goal outside Denver, or the fact that he buried his head in the sand when his players started fighting each other. He was in over his head. Also, worth mentioning, he's been an awful coordinator whenever he didn't have Aaron Rodgers at QB.

This is not a defense of Wilson. He has ego for days. Just saying Hackett was an idiot.
I basically agree, but it's worth pointing out that Wilson was part of that awful Denver clock management. Wilson was also part of the decision to go for the field goal in game 1 last year. Remember, that kicker made his case that he could make that kick if he got to this hashmark at this yard line. And he did almost make it, twice. Where was Russ lobbying to put the football in his hands on 4th & 5 with the game on the line? It didn't happen. It didn't happen because Russ wanted no part of failing to make it on 4th down with the game on the line, because that would stain his legacy. If the kicker misses, they lose the game, but Russ' legacy isn't tarnished by it. Or so he thought.

You know at some point during the season, Hackett figured out that Russ wasn't all he was cracked up to be. If that realization happened during game 1, going for the field goal could well have been the most rational decision.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sean Payton doesnt have room to really speak or say much about hackett... dude had bounty gate... lol Hackett had a QB that played by his own rules and lobbied other players for Payton.
but to be fair he looks like Kenny Chesney and that has to count for something! Bounty gate was so bad. Can't stand Greg Williams either because of it. I like Payton and while I know I shouldn't I just do lol.

bileever

Reaction score
Players shouldn't be excited to play for Payton. He was the head coach of a team that paid players to hurt players on other teams. This is the complete opposite of the purported league emphasis on player safety. He might have not come up with the plan, but the NFL investigation showed that he knew about it, approved of it and did nothing to stop it. If the NFL cared about player safety, Payton should have been banned indefinitely.

Injuries are part of the game, but the idea of trying to win games by deliberately injuring players on the other team is truly despicable.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Players shouldn't be excited to play for Payton. He was the head coach of a team that paid players to hurt players on other teams. This is the complete opposite of the purported league emphasis on player safety. He might have not come up with the plan, but the NFL investigation showed that he knew about it, approved of it and did nothing to stop it. If the NFL cared about player safety, Payton should have been banned indefinitely.

Injuries are part of the game, but the idea of trying to win games by deliberately injuring players on the other team is truly despicable.
THIS. Again. Bountygate was evil.

He should be banned from the league. It made me barf everytime he was doing his fidgity "do I fit in up here" dance on the FOX pregame show last year.

He should absolutely be banned from the league - but here he is - in all his glory:

keasley45

Reaction score
I think talk of his greatness has gone to his head.
It's just poor character to blast the outgoing regime like that.
Although if he were in a situation where his QB had an incredibly shaky confidence and struggled to overcome criticism, shedding blame for last season from his shoulders at the prior coaching staff's expemse could be a smart play.

toffee

Reaction score
Using Sean's logic, IF Bronco couldn't bounce back this year, will he call his effort one of the worst coaching?

JPatera76

Reaction score
Using Sean's logic, IF Bronco couldn't bounce back this year, will he call his effort one of the worst coaching?
Probably not, Peyton's always seemed to have a certain confidence to his ability, or he'll have an excuse imo.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Payton has to be one of the most overrated coaches ever. Basically has one really good year, which may or may not have been helped out by bad calls by the refs. Then basically is average every since, yet still gets talked about as if his Belichick.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think talk of his greatness has gone to his head.
It's just poor character to blast the outgoing regime like that.
Although if he were in a situation where his QB had an incredibly shaky confidence and struggled to overcome criticism, shedding blame for last season from his shoulders at the prior coaching staff's expemse could be a smart play.
Yeah, I was wondering it part of that wasn't Payton figuring out how fragile Russ' psyche is.

Latest posts