What was the bigger fluke?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Looking back at the make up of this team, what was the bigger fluke? Handedly beating Philly, at the time the best team in the conference, or what happened yesterday?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Rams game. Eagles really hadn't been tested too much and had little experience defending Russell Wilson so I could see them getting exposed. Did not think a 42-7 blowout with a chance for division title was going to happen.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I was at the game yesterday and I don't really have an explanation. Everything that could go wrong did. Dropped passes. Penalties. Poor execution. Give credit to the Rams, they were in the right place at the right time on almost every play, but we simply did not execute. Coaches and players. but mostly I put this on the players. I can't help but think if McEvoy holds on to that first down pass we see a very different game. Struggled with field position all day. Couldn't stop the run. We did an alright job against Goff, forcing him off his spot and into rushed passes as he only had 120 yards. But when we got the ball back we did nothing. I think this game was a combination of injuries, and some of the worst timing for bad play I've ever seen.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
When you are beaten at home, in a must win game against your division rival - it isn't a fluke.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3hb1etj6 said:
When you are beaten at home, in a must win game against your division rival - it isn't a fluke.

Losing to them wouldn't be a fluke. HOW they completely got blasted for 4 quarters very much IS a fluke and 100% uncharacteristic of this team since it has NEVER happened before under Pete Carroll.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The bigger fluke was absolutely yesterday.

But flukes are most often a microcosm of larger issues, and THAT'S what worries me. I've never seen a Pete Carroll team lose like this, utterly and completely embarrassed in all three phases.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Aros":2232n1aw said:
TwistedHusky":2232n1aw said:

Losing to them wouldn't be a fluke. HOW they completely got blasted for 4 quarters very much IS a fluke and 100% uncharacteristic of this team since it has NEVER happened before under Pete Carroll.

Maybe a fluke in that it hasn't happened sooner. This team has been trending toward this type of game for a while. You can't throw away 3 quarters every game without the expectation that you are going to get blown out in some of those games. When you always expect the game to be close enough to win with only one-quarter of play, you don't have the proper mental makeup to recover from what happened yesterday.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Games like the Eagles game have happened numerous times in the Pete Carroll era. Games like the Rams game yesterday have not happened since Wilson got here. Yesterday was more of a fluke, although I believe the Rams really are the way better team.

Seymour

Reaction score
Them starting like 7 drives on our side of the field was no fluke. That was the most mismatched special teams match I believe I've ever seen. Both kicking games and going both ways in every conceivable way we were outmatched. Overall I'll call it a fluke, but in many ways it was just an ass kicking.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
A lot of that starting field position was due to 3 and outs by our offense failing repeatedly.

The only difference is that without our defense being able to hold the opposing team at Bay for 3 quarters while offense figures it out in the 4th...we get blown out.

If the defense holds to 14 or less like normal then we are talking about some missed opportunity and 'we could have scored'

The offense has played like this all year. But the D cannot bail them out like before.

Not a fluke at all. Check the number if 3 and outs in the first half per game. Wanna bet is more than 3?

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2u8ba9xj said:
A lot of that starting field position was due to 3 and outs by our offense failing repeatedly.

That doesn't put the ball on our side of the field. Poor punting and poor coverage did that.

Rams 128 punt return yards. Seahawks 18. :pukeface:

adeltaY

Reaction score
We've actually had this kind of thing happen more frequently than we'd care to realize, just not to this extent. First half of the divisional game @ CAR was like this, but not as bad given it was on the road after an absolutely brutal wild card game. Last year's dismantling @ Lambeau was pretty similar except for we kept giving them short fields due to picks instead of due to ST domination. Then there was getting blown off the field @ ATL in last year's divisional. The defense was owned from the first snap in that game and the O fell apart after a promising opening drive (last opening drive TD we've had). ST also played a part in the nullified Hester return.

Why this game was worse: it was at home in the biggest game of the regular season and it was domination in all three phases. The offense was crap throughout the whole game, as was ST. The D held for a bit, but they disintegrated after the first two Rams possessions. I'm afraid this might be more a sign of things to come than a fluke. Might get blown out @ Dallas, but if we lose to the Cards at home, I don't care if it's by one f*cking point, then we have a crisis on our hands. I don't care if we're out of the playoffs, the team DAMN sure better defend that home turf. Going 4-4 at home is about as damning as any stat you can toss out for this cursed year.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Beating the Eagles and losing to the Rams have about the same value as none of these teams are winning anything this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Rams are gonna' get smoked in the playoffs. Maybe even one and done. And their home game will be a home game for whoever they play against.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3md3hdd9 said:
Yeah, Rams are gonna' get smoked in the playoffs. Maybe even one and done. And their home game will be a home game for whoever they play against.

I wouldn't trust Goff to win a playoff game, especially if it comes down to the 4th quarter and the Rams need a drive.

But as we found out with a young Russell 4-5 years ago, a great run game and nasty dominant defense is all you need in the playoffs. The Rams have that.

I'm not picking them to go to the SB, but I'm certainly not thinking they're going to get smoked either.

seahawksny

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":9nymbzrn said:

I disagree, I think they can go to Super Bowl.
Gurley was playing with a purpose yesterday, and that D is very good.
Goff wont have to be a superstar to get them there.

seahawksny

Reaction score
I dont think either was a fluke
I would not be surprised if this happens again in Dallas next week, because of players giving up
I think some of the players mailed it in yesterday. The same could happen next week if they do down again early

adeltaY

Reaction score
Idk if they can go back up to Minny or to Philly and win. Depends on how good Foles is. Saints might be able to beat them on a second go, but that game would be at LA again.