What do Pete/John see in Bevell to keep him?

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
chet380":nbyakpp2 said:
seabowl":nbyakpp2 said:
Yes I'm aware we have been to 2 straight bowls however I think some of it was in spite of Bevell not because of him.

Do you have any rational basis or empirical data for your belief or is it a "gut feeling" (and therefore useless).

I do I really do. Watch the games!!!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My biggest issue with Bevell is the offense when it enters the redzone. It has stalled in that area throughout his tenure. He has failed to correct the issue that is occurring there. If they could have scored 7 pts instead of settling for 3pts or coming away with nothing in week 1, the record would be 1-1 right now and not 0-2. There is a rather large sample size of redzone sputtering to prove that it's not just the players executing but also some of the blame has to be on OC. What are they doing to correct these issues? The proof they are doing anything still remains be seen on game days but it's the same stalled offense each week in that area. 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, etc are not good productivity numbers in the redzone.

Fade

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ien3k15p said:
My biggest issue with Bevell is the offense when it enters the redzone. It has stalled in that area throughout his tenure. He has failed to correct the issue that is occurring there. If they could have scored 7 pts instead of settling for 3pts or coming away with nothing in week 1, the record would be 1-1 right now and not 0-2. There is a rather large sample size of redzone sputtering to prove that it's not just the players executive but also some of the blame has to be on OC. What are they doing to correct these issues? The proof they are doing anything still remains be seen on game days but it's the same stalled offense each week in that area. 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, etc are not good productivity numbers in the redzone.

Yes, In earlier Bevell threads I have stated that Bevell's biggest deficiency is his Red Zone scheme and play calling. You got Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, & Jimmy Graham scoring in the Red Zone shouldn't be a problem. It's early still, but I'm not holding my breath.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you listen to people that played or are commenting on the team that employs them or they need a friendly access to to do their jobs your not going to get meat and potatoes. They would be cutting their own throats. Bevells problems are not just what he has done in Seattle but in Minny as well.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":15xkqsfu said:
When you listen to people that played or are commenting on the team that employs them or they need a friendly access to to do their jobs your not going to get meat and potatoes. They would be cutting their own throats. Bevells problems are not just what he has done in Seattle but in Minny as well.
You mean when he helped get them to the NFC championship and only an errant Favre pass likely kept them from the Super Bowl. Oh sure, I remember that year. So do Bev and Tarvaris.
Don't understand your point at all.

Rainger

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":z6b8eomx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":z6b8eomx said:
Because unlike a lot of our fans they don't single out a scapegoat who can be blamed every time anything goes wrong on offense.

Player doesn't execute? Bevell.

Player doesn't get enough catches? Bevell.

Lynch doesn't get a hole in the run game? Bevell.

Forget the HC, QB, WR, OL, TE, assistant HC. It's all Bevell all the time.

The obsession continues.

Maybe, just maybe, Carroll knows what he's doing?
It's called accountability. On Wall Street if a CEO's employees underperform and the company misses its earnings estimates the CEO is held responsible. If this happens for multiple quarters activists investors, like Carl Icahn, will swoop in and make sure the CEO is bounced. Bevell is the CEO of our offense and he hasn't been good enough. Why should deeply invested fans be disparaged as emotional reactionaries when they call for a coaches dismissal when Harvard MBAs are lauded as reasonable for pursuing the same course in ousting CEOs?

Bottom line: Let's please stop treating these football guys like they're always infallible and fans like they're always ignorant. GMs and coaches make catastrophically stupid decisions all the time. Chip Kelly was lauded as a genius when he was hired by the Eagles. I guess Philly fans are stupid for questioning his genius off-season moves. And Chip is only the most recent example. A few years ago many around here had "In Ruskell We Trust" sigs. When some of us started to really question his decisions we got the same treatment. "Timmy is super smart and you're just a fan." How did that work out?

PC and JS deserve our trust but that doesn't mean we turn our brains off. They have blundered from time to time and deserve criticism just as they deserve plaudits for all their successes. Bevell is simply not good enough and the Seahawks deserve better.
Wow what a GREAT Post. I am not allowed to ever say any thing bad about DB again because Rainger told me, but you sir get the Emmy!@!!

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Bevell has to have a conservative game plan because we have average receivers who can't get away from anyone and an offensive line who can't create holes in a wet paper bag.

theENGLISHseahawk":27qzt5or said:
Because unlike a lot of our fans they don't single out a scapegoat who can be blamed every time anything goes wrong on offense.

Player doesn't execute? Bevell.

Player doesn't get enough catches? Bevell.

Lynch doesn't get a hole in the run game? Bevell.

Forget the HC, QB, WR, OL, TE, assistant HC. It's all Bevell all the time.

The obsession continues.

Maybe, just maybe, Carroll knows what he's doing?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DavidSeven":r27ybenn said:
austinslater25":r27ybenn said:
Did Bevell get any interviews last off season? For the supporters can you find any evidence of people defending his decisions?

He interviewed with the Bills and Raiders last offseason.

Brock Huard and Hugh Millen defend him all the time, and they are the only ones locally who study the tape every week. They put forth reasonable critiques as well.
Neither does Wyman.....
If you noticed, ex-players rarely call out coaches, as players they were practically brainwashed to believe that the coach is always right and never makes mistakes, and if a mistake is made it is due to lack of execution on the players part.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3genyvtq said:
chris98251":3genyvtq said:
You mean when he helped get them to the NFC championship and only an errant Favre pass likely kept them from the Super Bowl. Oh sure, I remember that year. So do Bev and Tarvaris.

Oh you mean the historic meltdowns on the sideline year that Farve refused to run plays he called and called his own in the huddle, the year that he would not even talk to Bevell at times, yeah I remember it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2v1svx9v said:
Siouxhawk":2v1svx9v said:
chris98251":2v1svx9v said:

Oh you mean the historic meltdowns on the sideline year that Farve refused to run plays he called and called his own in the huddle, the year that he would not even talk to Bevell at times, yeah I remember it.
I think you are confusing Bevell with Childress in this instance. Bevell and Favre were actually pretty tight.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":271jkdbf said:
Siouxhawk":271jkdbf said:
chris98251":271jkdbf said:

You mean like Steve Young? You do know like Young scripted plays are worse than ridiculous and useless? Like Favre, Rothliesburger, Young and others like Tarkenton they shine when the plays are off schedule? Pete needs to give Wilson the reins and relax while worrying about what he actually knows (defense).

He needs to take a page from Kam and swallow his pride and accept the fact that he must realize he has limitations and plan accordingly.

Simply put...."A man must know his limitations" -Clint Eastwood in the Deadpool.

Best advice you will ever receive in life especially if you actually understand what it means beyond the obvious.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
"A man must know his limitations."

That's brilliant. Not because it's true but because it may seem true by being self-fulfilling. If his character was written to be as accurate with his words as he was with his bullets, he would have said, "A man must know his current limitations." Nice quote, nonetheless. It applies to Bevell as well since we want to watch a better performing offense but are generally clueless about how to contribute to improving an offense as fans. Some are willing to ride out this low and others want something to dramatically change right now. In the end, we're all just hoping for the best, now aren't we? A man must know his current limitations... Perhaps we do and that's why we're here just hoping away.

morgulon1

Reaction score
AgentDib":2gd0o71h said:
scutterhawk":2gd0o71h said:
Interesting.....So, you're saying that Bevell isn't responsible for ANY share of the mistakes, and that all the woes are on Poor Execution, HC, QB, WR, OL, TE, assistant HC?
I haven't seen a single person claim that. Bevell shares responsibility for both the ups and the downs, and I bet we could list 25 individuals who had a major impact on our offense without breaking too much of a sweat. We could probably agree that Bevell shares more responsibility than some (Lockette), less responsibility than some (Wilson), and there's a middle range that's hard to estimate from the outside (Cable).

Putting him in the middle of an even distribution would give him 4% of the responsibility for both the good and the bad. If you feel that he is a major problem than you probably would estimate it a bit higher than that. I'm quite certain it isn't 100%, 50%, or even 25%, and not a word in this post would change if this was a mirror universe where our record was flipped and everybody was attributing that mostly to Bevell.

Wait, you're saying the offensive coordinator (the offensive coach,playcaller,schemer,) is 4% responsible? I would think AND hope that an NFL coach making probably at least a couple of million dollars per season would have more than a 4% impact with the group of players he is in charge of.

The OC would be in charge of the gameplan, preparation, in game adjustments but most importantly the end of the game where say you might have the ball with a lead. Bevell seems to call very shitty stupid plays at this point IMHO.

Your obviously taking up for Bevell, I respect that.

cHawkPhan

Reaction score
I truly think Pete thought Bevell would be gone by now. He was interviewed for a few jobs, as I remember, as far back as when then DC Gus Bradley was shopping around, but he still lingers.
He was alright when we had few weapons, and could do enough to win with our defense dominating. But it seems to me, he is having trouble incorporating all the new talent on offense. I feel (I think we all feel this way) that we have more talent on the offensive side of the ball this year by adding Lockett, Graham and Jackson, and thus far our offense has looked "pedestrian".
I'm hoping he figures it out, gets us another SB win and gets recruited out of town. If that's not the case, I hope the front office decides it's time for a change in offensive philosophy.

BlackDiamondHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":25ibmwqj said:
Name someone that you know is better who is available to replace him.

Bevel's a good OC, he gets back up from some important people like Warren Moon, Brock Huard (although it's not blind support), Dave Wyman, and others here and there.

I think the OCs lack of adjustments are a fault. Whoever makes the half time adjustments has bee pretty successful. I would vote for that person to be OC. If that person is Bevell then give him some help, (coaching not OL)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think Pete is grooming him to be his successor. I would be in favor of that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1ejrlz61 said:
"A man must know his limitations."

That's brilliant. Not because it's true but because it may seem true by being self-fulfilling. If his character was written to be as accurate with his words as he was with his bullets, he would have said, "A man must know his current limitations." Nice quote, nonetheless. It applies to Bevell as well since we want to watch a better performing offense but are generally clueless about how to contribute to improving an offense as fans. Some are willing to ride out this low and others want something to dramatically change right now. In the end, we're all just hoping for the best, now aren't we? A man must know his current limitations... Perhaps we do and that's why we're here just hoping away.

You do know this is Pete's team right?

So all you guys who think Bevell can just do whatever the hell he wants on offense are wrong, WAY wrong.

Pete and John have built this team in their image, which is a nasty physical punishing run first offense and same on the defensive side of the ball.

I highly doubt Pete would allow Bevell to change that philosophy and go to some exotic pass happy let Russell throw it around offense. He has to stay within that philosophy, so that's how he, Pete, Russell and Cable design plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":pz7f6fz5 said:
............Simply put...."A man must know his limitations" -Clint Eastwood in the Deadpool.............
It was "Magnum Force" and the quote is "A man's got to know his limitations".

[youtube]_VrFV5r8cs0[/youtube]

massari

Reaction score
kearly":gw9f2yrh said:
Last year, Seattle tried to evolve into a more complex offense. It backfired. They got the ship righted when they reverted to a simple offense in the second half.

This year, they are again trying to evolve into a more complex offense yet again. It's not working so far. But this time, we probably don't have the running game we need to simply revert to basics and be okay.

What's worse is that even these attempts at complexity are still less nuanced in terms of route trees than pretty much any other NFL team. Bevell isn't just vanilla, he's simple. At this point I think it's fair to say that no other OC in the league is more challenged by complexity. Seattle has the ingredients to be a scary good multi-dimensional offense.

There's a reason why our offense looks so much better in the 2 minute drill or when Wilson is running the offense. The more simple the offense becomes, the more success it has. This is partly a credit to Wilson's magic, but also a testament to Bevell's inability to effectively install complexity into the offense.

I think part of the problem too is that there has long been an issue with the offense being less than the sum of its parts, while the defense has been the opposite. Seattle spends most of their high picks on offense, and has brought in several big names on the offensive side of the ball. But with the lone exception of Lynch, none of those big names have fit our offense the way we had hoped.

There's also a now well documented issue with Bevell making bad situational playcalls and play designs because he thinks defensive coordinators won't see it coming. The element of surprise is Bevell at his core, and that's not a way to build a proper offense, IMO.

I think Bevell still has a job here mainly because Pete takes a 'buck stops here' mentality to accountability. He does not believe in scapegoating, even when merited. I think Pete views his players and fellow coaches as family. I think to Pete, firing Bevell would be like firing a close relative.

Interesting post.

Am curious why you think they don't have the run game this year? Is it because of the OL or do you think Lynch lost a step?