We Lost Because...

We lost because...

• Our defense didn't play up to expectations.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • We were out-coached for most of the game.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The worst play call in the history of the SB at the end of the game.

Votes: 110 66.7%
  • Wilson threw a bad pass at the end of the game.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Lockette didn't fight for the ball.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 16 9.7%

• Total voters

bostonhardo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3liijvr2 said:
kjreid":3liijvr2 said:
Worst call ever, run the ball, that is who we are, run the ball

This i agree with.

Look, i dont mind throwing a pass play on 2nd down. incomplete (which apparently PC thought was the only other option outside a TD) wouldve given us 2 plays from 1 yard out plus a TO.

But why "that" throw?

i dont know. im still in disbelief we lost. hell of a year, hell of a game. but this whole team's identity is built on the run. lose the game with the ball in Lynch or Wilson's hands power for power.

When I saw them in the gun I figured Wilson would roll out and unless someone was wide open he'd throw it away. That inside slant is always dangerous. Its prime for a deflection that just falls in someone hands. The kid made a great play. Stupid play.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2z5cxd33 said:
You lost because you played a better team. Green Bay was also better. I said before the game that the Seahawks peaked a year ago, you lost a lot of guys to FA and injuries, and just weren't nearly as dominant as last year. All true statements, face the reality.

Go F yourself. Brady threw two picks in this game. You won but you also were pushed to the hilt and we were on your door about to know it in. Lets see how your team would of done if your starting DE goes down and your key niclkle corner.

Great play by you DB, props to him. Brady was great today but not perfect. This game showed why both teams were here.

45Hawker

Reaction score
* Loss of Avril - our QB pressure really dropped off after that.
* Loss of Lane.
* Injuries in General
* Edelman
* The non-PI call on Lockette.
* That dropped passed by Kearse. Tough catch. But we get at least 3 there and I think it puts the game away.
* The last play call.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3d6yvs10 said:
You lost because you played a better team. Green Bay was also better. I said before the game that the Seahawks peaked a year ago, you lost a lot of guys to FA and injuries, and just weren't nearly as dominant as last year. All true statements, face the reality.

Ban this classless fool. It's one thing to talk smack leading up to a game in the Shack. It's another to post smug bullshit in the main forum after a tough loss.

ivotuk

Reaction score
And a serious case of bad luck.

Lane broken arm. How does that happen after 2 years of playing good ball?

Avril a concussion? Really? That happens now?

Mebane IR'd. We really could have used him....

45Hawker

Reaction score
bostonhardo":2bob9e8m said:
When I saw them in the gun I figured Wilson would roll out and unless someone was wide open he'd throw it away. That inside slant is always dangerous. Its prime for a deflection that just falls in someone hands. The kid made a great play. Stupid play.

If we're going to pass there, why not run play-action with Lynch? Why run a slant into the 9 defensive players that are in the box???

Did you hear Brady's answer when asked if he would have checked out of that play if he had Marshawn behind him? Something like, "I'm glad they didn't"

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
After the emotion of the play and stepping back from it all I do not see this as the worst call ever. THe DB makes a great play and jumps the route. But it was not as bad as it first seemed. It a game of inches sometimes and that one a few more to the right and it may be a different outcome. I will needs to relook at the play again but it was not as bad as I first thought.

The "what if's" will haunt if us all year. But that was a great an entertaining game to watch and it hurt so much because I was sure we were going to win.

talic7

Reaction score
I think we have to try and look past the last play here. I know it's hard because it hurts like hell but I think we win this if:

1) Lane (and Avril, but i think mostly Lane) doesn't get hurt. Simon just couldn't cover Edelman, and that cost us i think at least 7 if not 14 points.

2) We dont punt twice after the Pats' 3 and out early in the 4th. We had all the momentum, we should've iced the game then and there. If we'd scored on at least one of those drives I think we'd be back to back champs right now.

The last play was a bad call if you ask me. It can definitely work, but a lot is on the line and it's a timing play, so basically its': "put the ball in a spot and the reciever has to get there at the same time". I think that kind of plays gives the defense too much of a chance to beat the reciever and pick the ball, which is exactly what happened. I'm no coach or anything but i would never call a quick slant with the game on the line like that, especially with Wilson/Lynch on my offense. One possible call is , of course, give the ball to Beast and he scores. But if you want to pass, roll Wilson out and let him do his magic. I'd bet my left nut he doesn't throw a pick if the play isn't a timing play. If he had time to look around he would either throw the ball out the back, find a receiver who's actually open, or run it in if he had the chance.

Again, I am not, nor have I ever been a coach so correct me if I'm wrong, but i think most of you agree.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":27oafgs0 said:
50yrpatsfan":27oafgs0 said:

Ban this classless fool. It's one thing to talk smack leading up to a game in the Shack. It's another to post smug bullshit in the main forum after a tough loss.

It's not smack. The question of this thread is Why did we lose? and nobody has offered the theory that the Seahawks faced a better team.

It's freakin' hard to repeat. So many things have to go exactly right, 2 years in a row, and they usually don't.. Hawks are a very dangerous team, but luck plays a huge role and last night their luck ran out.

StoneCold

Reaction score
We were beyond fortunate to be in the position where today we can claim a single call was the reason we lost. We had to stop the Patriots offense from scoring that last TD that put them ahead. Credit them for being able to give Brady the time to find open receivers.

And while I hate the pass call, and think it was the wrong call, there were 10 other plays that, if we make them, turn that last play into a kneel down.

Love the Hawks. That was a heartbreaking loss. Wait till next year.

Go Hawks.

SC

Uncle Si

Reaction score
45Hawker":1jpnayrl said:
bostonhardo":1jpnayrl said:

If we're going to pass there, why not run play-action with Lynch? Why run a slant into the 9 defensive players that are in the box???

Did you hear Brady's answer when asked if he would have checked out of that play if he had Marshawn behind him? Something like, "I'm glad they didn't"

or throw to Lynch, i think he had his guy beat on the edge...

damn it... so stupidly close

chawx

Reaction score
Don't pass. Run Read Option play, let Russell decide to run or handoff. +1 Championship.

IF they stuff the run. Call timeout and have 16 seconds or so left.

Same read option, fake Lynch, roll Russell out and let him make a play... (x2 if necessary)

If the Pats stop all 3 tries from the 2, shake their hand and pat em on the ass and tell them they earned it, but for the love of God DO NOT DO WHAT YOU DID!

Hindsight: 20/20

morgulon1

Reaction score
CHawK247":3n37eoya said:
TwistedHusky":3n37eoya said:
Bevell blew it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This.

I disagree. It isn't that simple, but it would be cool if it were the case. I could point to every option in the poll and still add
one or two more. I can't put my finger on it but I feel like our defense wasn't the same as they usually are. I think they were a little beat up BEFORE we lost Lane and Avril. ETIII and Sherman ? No telling what level they were at but you know they were hurt . and Kam? They didn't seem hyped and vicious like they usually are. I think the distraction of our defensive coordinator taking a new job was a factor.

The New England Patriots dropped 14 on us in the 4th quarter. They beat us in a fair game. Inflated balls or not. My congratulations to them . Brady is an awesome quarterback that IMHO is arguably is the G.O.A.T .

Now having said this I am so damn proud of my team and what they've accomplished. I'm excited for the future . I never
thought that Seattle Seahawks and World Champions would be words used in the same sentence. Losing stings but I'm going to dust my self off and move on and try to stay classy about everything if at all possible. I love my team, always have.......

Is the draft here yet?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The play screamed run Marshawn Lynch and he would have been mvp.

Lame.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2ony0o2s said:
volsunghawk":2ony0o2s said:
50yrpatsfan":2ony0o2s said:

It's not smack. The question of this thread is Why did we lose? and nobody has offered the theory that the Seahawks faced a better team.

It's freakin' hard to repeat. So many things have to go exactly right, 2 years in a row, and they usually don't.. Hawks are a very dangerous team, but luck plays a huge role and last night their luck ran out.

do you really think the Patriots are a better team then the Seahawks. Were you thinking that when it was 1st and goal from the 5 with 1 minute left?

come on man. the "its hard to repeat" works in the offseason. but with one minute to go, its a game with no parallels to last year. to suggest otherwise is either hyperbole, ignorance or mysticism.

our "luck" ran out, for sure. I dont believe in luck, i believe in execution and coaching. in that one play, the Patriots got it right, the Hawks got it wrong. if it goes the other way and we win, there is no way i'd suggest that makes the hawks better. you know when noone's paying attention that you were watching your team's Super Bowl dream die. dont be an ass because it worked out for you. it was a great game. you could acknowledge it, or settle in on the false bravado you've been pumping this morning. its not sincere, makes you look like a clown.

A championship game between the 2 best in the NFL down to one play at the goal line. there is no separation here. one play.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
All of the above. The last play sucked hard, but the defense gave up 14 points in the fourth quarter.

Tom Brady was clutch when he needed to be.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":bj7783oa said:
50yrpatsfan":bj7783oa said:
volsunghawk":bj7783oa said:
50yrpatsfan":bj7783oa said:

do you really think the Patriots are a better team then the Seahawks. Were you thinking that when it was 1st and goal from the 5 with 1 minute left?

come on man. the "its hard to repeat" works in the offseason. but with one minute to go, its a game with no parallels to last year. to suggest otherwise is either hyperbole, ignorance or mysticism.

our "luck" ran out, for sure. I dont believe in luck, i believe in execution and coaching. in that one play, the Patriots got it right, the Hawks got it wrong. if it goes the other way and we win, there is no way i'd suggest that makes the hawks better. you know when noone's paying attention that you were watching your team's Super Bowl dream die. dont be an ass because it worked out for you.

A championship game between the 2 best in the NFL down to one play at the goal line. there is no separation here. one play.

I'd say the teams are evenly matched, we definitely weren't clearly better.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Just a little food for thought here.

1. If we leave the game up to one play at the end of the 4th quarter we could have executed a lot better for the previous three.

2. Had lane taken the touchback he wouldn't hawe been injured.

3. We should have kept the pressure on Brady in the 4Q. Playing soft D at the end of games has been a thorn in our side for years.

4. When will we build a reliable receiving corps and some pass protection?

Personally, I like the idea of a short pass play on 2nd and goal. Wilson is a playmaker, let him do it. However, it should have been a tight end slant. Putting the rock in Russ' hands is never the wrong call. If Marshawn had failed to run or fumbled on the goalline, we would be asking why it was not a pass play etc. It was a great game and I hope the front office finds areas to improve on during the off season.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
So much went wrong:
- Kearse drops a ball he gets 2 hands on inside the 20 on 3rd and 3 (tough catch, but one a champion makes)
- A defense in the running for GOAT gives up 3rd and 14 and 3rd and 8 on the way to 14 fourth quarter points
- key injuries
- horrendous tackling
- Tharold Simon

And still, the win was theirs for the taking. I can understand the decision to pass there, but not THAT pass play. God it was so stupid! I don't know which of all these things I blame the most (I voted for the defense) but it was truly a comedy of errors in the 4th quarter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
The two main things I have a problem on the play call are this:
1. Why was it so transparent? Are our plays so simple minded and predictable that Belichick had his DB's expect that play and run through it a million times in practice? Some teams at least take the time to go over their own tendencies, and I don't think Bevell acknowledges his enough, even throughout the regular season.
2. As stated by many others, he had a converted track star with 18 receptions run the most critical route in the whole game, and then after the game, with Caroll and Wilson both taking their fare share of the responsibility, Bevell throws his WR under the bus. That irritates me.