Unlock Lock?

Are You Ready To "Unlock Lock?"

• Total voters

hoxrox

Reaction score
"We are just going to take what they give us until they start to play us more in man coverage and up in our faces," Smith said. "It doesn't make sense just to try and air it out just for the sake of doing that. I'm always going to take what they give us and try to be efficient on offense. That's the main goal, to be efficient and to move the ball to score."

"As the run game begins to come along more and as we continue to stay efficient, they are going to get tired of the completions and things like that," Smith said. "They are going to press us, get in our faces, and try to make us beat them by getting behind them, which I have full confidence in.

"The past two games, again, it's been a lot of shell coverage. Even when there has been press coverage, the safeties are playing over the top, so they are really mindful of No. 16 (Lockett) and No. 14 (Metcalf) out there.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
because all he throws are checkdowns
Geno is not the problem. First of all ALL the passes Geno throws are NOT all check downs , a large majority working the short passing game .Geno is playing the way the Hawks are asking him to play. The reason they are not throwing the ball down field is because of the young tackles. The Hawks are giving these guys a chance to get some confidance, as they are good players that just need reps to hone their skills at an NFL level play. So in a since the Hawks are protecting the young tackles with scheme rather than throwing the ball down field and getting 6-8 sacks a game not to mention turnovers and lacknof continuity that would occur.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
More fun stats...

The Seahawks haven't scored in 92 minutes 24 seconds of game time. Seattle has averaged 234.5 total yards per game this season, the fewest through two weeks by the Seahawks since 2011 (191.5, finished 7-9).

No matter. I haven't been this aloof during a Seahawks season since, well, never. Great for the ol' blood pressure. Let the chips (or L's) fall where they may and let's go grab a POTENTIAL franchise QB in the draft next April.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
"We are just going to take what they give us until they start to play us more in man coverage and up in our faces," Smith said. "It doesn't make sense just to try and air it out just for the sake of doing that. I'm always going to take what they give us and try to be efficient on offense. That's the main goal, to be efficient and to move the ball to score."

"As the run game begins to come along more and as we continue to stay efficient, they are going to get tired of the completions and things like that," Smith said. "They are going to press us, get in our faces, and try to make us beat them by getting behind them, which I have full confidence in.

"The past two games, again, it's been a lot of shell coverage. Even when there has been press coverage, the safeties are playing over the top, so they are really mindful of No. 16 (Lockett) and No. 14 (Metcalf) out there.
Geno's comments from the following article - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...A12capo?cvid=a50f1a78cc6048a98f1f1663a62b72d8

"I haven't felt hindered," Smith said.

"We are not trying to go out there and throw the ball up into double coverage. ..So we are going to be efficient and will do whatever it takes to score, whether it's throwing it deep, short, or intermediate. We are trying to get points on the board. I think that is the main thing. Whether it's long or short, when you are scoring points, it's not an issue.

"But when you don't score points, it becomes an issue."

Guess what Geno, it's an issue because you aren't scoring points. Haven't been for the 4 out the 5 regular season games where you were the QB1.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno's comments from the following article - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...A12capo?cvid=a50f1a78cc6048a98f1f1663a62b72d8

"I haven't felt hindered," Smith said.

"We are not trying to go out there and throw the ball up into double coverage. ..So we are going to be efficient and will do whatever it takes to score, whether it's throwing it deep, short, or intermediate. We are trying to get points on the board. I think that is the main thing. Whether it's long or short, when you are scoring points, it's not an issue.

"But when you don't score points, it becomes an issue."

Guess what Geno, it's an issue because you aren't scoring points. Haven't been for the 4 out the 5 regular season games where you were the QB1.
You sure did tell him... exactly what he already said?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
You sure did tell him... exactly what he already said?
Wasn't he the guy that was saying people had written him off but he didn't listen after the Monday night game? Then he lays a goose egg against 49ers. Well when a team struggles to score in 80% of the games while he's the QB, then he's part of the problem. IMO, Waldron is a bigger problem but Smith isn't helping matters when it comes to scoring points.

BASF

Reaction score
Wasn't he the guy that was saying people had written him off but he didn't listen after the Monday night game? Then he lays a goose egg against 49ers. Well when a team struggles to score in 80% of the games while he's the QB, then he's part of the problem. IMO, Waldron is a bigger problem but Smith isn't helping matters when it comes to scoring points.
Do you feel that the offensive line getting manhandled might have had something to do with the fact that we didn't score last game? If DJ Dallas had made a better pass and we scored, do you still harp on Geno not scoring points?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Do you feel that the offensive line getting manhandled might have had something to do with the fact that we didn't score last game? If DJ Dallas had made a better pass and we scored, do you still harp on Geno not scoring points?
I'm not just talking about the last game. In every game he's played in the regular season except for one, this has been an issue (including the 3 games from last season) -

Against the Steelers (2021) - 20 points scored
Against the Saints (2021) - 10 points scored
Against the Jags (2021) - 31 points scored
Against the Broncos (2022) - 17 points scored
Against the 49ers (2022) - 7 points scored (on special teams) so technically 0.

That's an avg of 17 points scored in the games he's been the QB. That's not enough scoring to win games in the NFL. The lack of scoring is not just because of Geno. It's a bigger issue than just him. However, he is a piece in that problem.

My initial point is that just because one puts up gaudy numbers for comp pct. It means nothing if there aren't any points scored to show for it.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So you are satisfied with his 81.5 completion percentage yielding only 24 total points in 8 quarters with 3/4 of that coming in 2 quarters? Once again, how is his 81.5% leading to scoring points? Last I checked comp pct doesn't lead to wins. Scoring more points than the opponent does. How is he accomplishing the scoring points with his 81.5% comp pct so far?
Because their 1st priority is taking care of the ball, playing the Waldren/Carroll system until he & his Offensive Linemen learn/grow WITH one another, their strengths & their weaknesses THEN you can open things up.
Pete is building on Geno's 81.5% completion numbers and with just 2 games into the season, it's way too early in the Process /season to just start "slinging the ball'', playing helter-skelter-sandlot-football....I've seen enough of that crap in the last two + years.
Hackett & the Donco's are learning what Pete & John already knew...Building a System around a Sandlot Quarterback is a lot tougher than they expected it would be...Russ has a lot of bad habits to get shed of.
Geno is not now nor has he really ever been a 'Scramble First QB', so that's one habit that doesn't need to be broken, or worked around by Pete & Shane.
I get it, Incremental Growth is boring, but right now it's the right call.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I just think everybody needs to have some patience and let things come together instead of expecting perfection. Is there an issue scoring points? Maybe Carroll knows this give them a chance to make the adjustments as well as coaching up the players. Its going to come together

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No way around it; YOU and several others are comparing Geno Smith's play to that of Russell Wilson, y'all are expecting that he should be able to come in and kick ass right off the bat, HELL, Russ ain't even doing that for the Damned Denver Broncos.
Who y'all SHOULD be comparing Geno to is that other Shane Waldron Quarterback 'Jarred Goff' & how he GREW his craft to a damned decent level.
Systems like that take a while to come together, Goff wasn't 'Mr. Tear it Up' right out of the chute.
New Offensive Tackles (ROOKIES), new Quarterback working WITH ROOKIES...S#*t ain't going to come together overnight.
I guess you don't know what you don't know SMH.

BASF

Reaction score
No way around it; YOU and several others are comparing Geno Smith's play to that of Russell Wilson, y'all are expecting that he should be able to come in and kick ass right off the bat, HELL, Russ ain't even doing that for the Damned Denver Broncos.
Who y'all SHOULD be comparing Geno to is that other Shane Waldron Quarterback 'Jarred Goff' & how he GREW his craft to a damned decent level.
Systems like that take a while to come together, Goff wasn't 'Mr. Tear it Up' right out of the chute.
New Offensive Tackles (ROOKIES), new Quarterback working WITH ROOKIES...S#*t ain't going to come together overnight.
I guess you don't know what you don't know SMH.
Are you aware that Waldron was the passing game coordinator for the Rams for the seasons Goff was there? He was only promoted to QB coach for 2019 which was Goff's worst season for protecting the ball and completion percentage since his second season. If anything, Goff regressed under Waldron. Waldron was demoted to just passing game coordinator his last season with them.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
People had written him off. The guy had a good moment and a dominant first half - let the dude celebrate. No one's calling him the future, but he deserves to celebrate a big win, just like everyone else on the team did. I really don't get that criticism.

I agree that he isn't necessarily helping matters, but the offense was admittedly a training-wheel type of one that they're going to try to open up. He's playing within structure. Nothing else is working, either - run game included. No quarterback on the roster is going to succeed with the other phases failing to launch.

I don't know why people talk about the guy like he's an opponent.

BASF

Reaction score
People had written him off. The guy had a good moment and a dominant first half - let the dude celebrate. No one's calling him the future, but he deserves to celebrate a big win, just like everyone else on the team did. I really don't get that criticism.

I agree that he isn't necessarily helping matters, but the offense was admittedly a training-wheel type of one that they're going to try to open up. He's playing within structure. Nothing else is working, either - run game included. No quarterback on the roster is going to succeed with the other phases failing to launch.

Because he isn't Baker damn it!

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Because he ain't Russell Wilson, oh and, he got caught speeding like an ass whole, and has never coined the phrase "Go Hawks"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Are you aware that Waldron was the passing game coordinator for the Rams for the seasons Goff was there? He was only promoted to QB coach for 2019 which was Goff's worst season for protecting the ball and completion percentage since his second season. If anything, Goff regressed under Waldron. Waldron was demoted to just passing game coordinator his last season with them.
My mistake, I did not realize that Goff hadn't gotten a grasp on the complexities of Waldron's system.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
Yes, you get what you get with Geno. Below average QB that can’t really win anything meaningful.

It’s probably not better with Lock but he can speed up the tank

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
With Lock it's feast or famine....Which I rather have over us eating bland tofu for several weeks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Change for changes sake = stupidity.
Lock would likely speed up the action in battle alright, but, he'd also just as likely have more turnovers or 3 & outs...Throwing Hurt's Defense to the wolves would have them gassed by half time.
At least with Smith, the turnovers don't happen quite as frequently, the Offensive Line has more time to jell & get the needed reps to become their best.
People preferring sensationalism over constructive growth would make for sh*tty Head Coaches.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If we lose to Atlanta today, or whenever Geno elects to use his legs more often, I suspect Locks chances for PT will be elevated. But if Drew hasn't made significant progress in his decision making I doubt the end result will be satisfying to anyone outside the negative Nancie's with their volume turned on high.