Is it possible OC runs with Lock?

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The way the cap jumps every year, Geno is really not that overly pricey for what he will be getting paid in 2024. I can see WHY people want to move on from him, but I also still say he would be a hell of a mentor to the next QB that they hopefully draft.
Agreed people think $30 should get you an elite QB because it could a few years ago. Now the elites are getting $50m+ and anyone expected to be a starter who isn't on a rookie contract gets over $30m.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
On 710, they listed a bunch of guys making around or more than Geno. And he was better than most of them.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Some keep 3 on the 53 man roster. Seattle hasn't done so in years but it's not uncommon.
12 teams did it last year an Im willing to bet they were all teams that had their starter hurt for an extended amount of time.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I don't think Geno is $25 million better than Lock. Not for where this team is, currently. I expect a vet and a rookie will compete in TC. It might be Lock. It might Geno. It might be another FA.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Good lord.
Lock?
Fields?

Are we trying to get top ten first-round picks several years in a row?

You know that both Lock and Fields suck right?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I seriously doubt it. Starting Lock smells of desperation. Lock has not shown enough to convince me he should get a shot to start.

Parallax

Reaction score
On 710, they listed a bunch of guys making around or more than Geno. And he was better than most of them.
To me, that's the wrong analysis. Doesn't matter if he would be a good value to another team. The question is whether he's a good value for us. It's hard for me to see why any team should want to pay an average salary to an average QB. It's alright to pay a load to a guy who's world class like Patrick Mahomes. But $60M to a guy like that doesn't make Geno worth $30M. Far better value to pay $5M to $10M to Lock.

I don't see Geno as significantly better than Lock and, in fact, think that with the right coaching and the right opportunities, Lock might be just as good or better. I like his arm more. I like his mobility more.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Thread started with a lot of questions, so here's some answers:

Is it possible the new OC runs with Lock and cuts Geno? Yes, anything is possible right now and almost impossible to really know.

Has Lock been given a fair chance to prove his worth? Yes, multiple times.

Could Grubb work with Lock and unlock his potential? Yeah, sure. Absolutely possible, decidedly NOT probable.

The biggest problem with this plan is that Drew was getting paid like a better than average backup and he wasn't one. After that drive against the Eagles he's going to get more than that, most likely. It makes no sense from an investment standpoint because he's not under contract. He's a free agent who didn't play up to the contract we already gave him, why sign him to an even bigger contract?

We can probably get Josh Dobbs or Mitch Trubisky for similar play for cheaper or grab Easton Stick for probably half the price but who played much better.

I like Drew (or, at least I did until that haircut this year...) but he didn't play well in Denver and he hasn't played well here. If he is willing to take a 'hometown' discount and we really are in a complete rebuild mode? Sure, maybe. But this move makes no sense otherwise.

Parallax

Reaction score
Has Lock been given a fair chance to prove his worth? Yes, multiple times.
Here's where we differ. In year one, Pete set Geno up as QB1 right at the start of training camp and gave him the reps with the starters. He claimed Geno would get a chance. Was supposed to start in third preseason game but then he got covid. Started the fourth but you could tell he was pressing. Then he sat on the bench all season.

In year two, this past season, he got the first three starts in preseason and played really well. His timing and chemistry with the receivers looked better than Geno's. But Geno got the last preseason start and we next saw Drew when Geno went down for a series against the Giants.

In that game, Geno came in and led a drive just before halftime that scored and extended the lead. In one particularly nice play, he gets chased out of the pocket and throws on the run to an open Fant who tiptoes down the sideline 50+ yards to the 1. Looked great on that drive but Geno returned in the second half and we didn't hear from Lock again.

When Geno injured his elbow against the Rams and Drew came in, he looked bad. But he was straight off the bench and they had him immediately chucking it down field. I don't think it was all on him, as the play calling was atrocious, but the last pass looked really bad and that was mainly on Lock. Threw it short and it got picked off.

Geno went down in practice just three of days before the San Francisco game on December 10th so Drew finally got a few reps with the starters. Like two days worth. He was then on the field against our toughest opponent and he looked pretty good. Didn't win but that wasn't his fault. The defense was terrible. It's the game where Adams looked horrid. Drew kept us in it and gave us a chance. His first drive looked great. Led Seattle to a game tying touchdown. On the next drive, we took and held the lead for a while.

Threw two interceptions in the fourth quarter when he was pressing, the team down by 12, but even then he mostly remained poised and he threw a lot of nice passes for completions. On the road, the team outmatched, he mostly earned praise. One has to consider how little warning he got, how tough the opponent was, and how few reps he got with the starters. He's a pretty good recap:

And here are the highlights:

And then the Eagles game. Here, Geno was trying to start and got most of the first team reps through the week. As the game drew near, Carroll gave Drew some but he wasn't announced as the starter until right before the game began. Geno was fully dressed on the sideline and, to his credit, was cheering Drew on.

For much of the game he was alright but not great. His overall stats for the night were Lock was 22 of 33 for 208 yards. There were no major mistakes. No interceptions and you could see the talent. Down by four near the end, he led a game winning touchdown drive that was amazing. Particularly the game winning pass into the end zone to JSN, which appeared to drop straight down over the receivers shoulder as if dropped from a hot air balloon. He was poised and under control the whole drive. The best any Seattle QB looked all season.

Here's the QB school evaluating that winning drive against the Eagles:

Of course, after the game, Pete made clear that Geno would start the next game. No question. Geno was Pete's guy. Now that Carroll's gone, Geno's in trouble.

The fans tended to follow Carroll and assume that if Lock wasn't given the nod, it was for good reason. What i saw with my eyes, both years, told me Lock had never gotten a fair test. Geno was Pete's guy, period, end of story. I don't think Schneider feels that way. I don't think McDonald does either. They're going to review the film for the entire season and decide what makes sense. In my view, given the difference in cost, there's no question that Geno should be cut or traded and Lock signed. Will probably cost $7 to $10 million. At that price, I think he should be the presumptive starter with a QB taken in the draft or signed as a free agent given a fair chance to battle it out in camp.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Maybe, if he wants to stay. He'll probably be looking for a team with an eye at a chance at starting. That might be here, but who knows? If they keep Geno around, the chances that Lock will start go down a bit.
He has the opportunity last year and stayed. Not going to try an argue as if someone elite but the kid has talent and has never been properly coached up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
To me, that's the wrong analysis. Doesn't matter if he would be a good value to another team. The question is whether he's a good value for us. It's hard for me to see why any team should want to pay an average salary to an average QB. It's alright to pay a load to a guy who's world class like Patrick Mahomes. But $60M to a guy like that doesn't make Geno worth $30M. Far better value to pay $5M to $10M to Lock.

I don't see Geno as significantly better than Lock and, in fact, think that with the right coaching and the right opportunities, Lock might be just as good or better. I like his arm more. I like his mobility more.
Hey, I'm just passing on what I heard on 710. I don't care if Geno comes back or not. Totally on the fence about it. Also, on the fence about who they take in the draft.

BASF

Reaction score
Looked great on that drive but Geno returned in the second half and we didn't hear from Lock again.
He was one for five on that drive apart from Noah Fant bailing him out with his run down the sideline. Fant was completely open, and I mean no one within fifteen yards of him. A kid in high school could make that play. The pass to Metcalf for his first completion was a single read, stop route at the sticks with the DB six yards away from Metcalf. Again a kid in high school can make that play. Weird that Lock fans keep bringing this up.

Parallax

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just passing on what I heard on 710. I don't care if Geno comes back or not. Totally on the fence about it. Also, on the fence about who they take in the draft.
I don't trust the media at all. It's way more about entertainment than analysis or providing real insight. They need to preserve access to the coaches so they have to hold the company line. None of the Seattle milktoasts would criticize Carroll. To get any real analysis, one had to look past the MSM.

Parallax

Reaction score
He was one for five on that drive apart from Noah Fant bailing him out with his run down the sideline. Fant was completely open, and I mean no one within fifteen yards of him. A kid in high school could make that play. The pass to Metcalf for his first completion was a single read, stop route at the sticks with the DB six yards away from Metcalf. Again a kid in high school can make that play. Weird that Lock fans keep bringing this up.
Will have to go back and review the game. That's not how I remember it. I remember him looking impressive. Then and at other times too. In the San Francisco game, for instance, though obviously not the interceptions in the fourth quarter.

renofox

Reaction score
Will have to go back and review the game. That's not how I remember it. I remember him looking impressive. Then and at other times too. In the San Francisco game, for instance, though obviously not the interceptions in the fourth quarter.
I wouldn't say impressive, but I think Lock looked better against SF than Geno did in any of his 4 losses to SF.

Parallax

Reaction score
I wouldn't say impressive, but I think Lock looked better against SF than Geno did in any of his 4 losses to SF.
Have you looked at the highlights I posted above? He was poised and in rhythm most of the time. Made a number of clutch passes, leading his receivers. I see a lot of potential in Lock. I understand why Schneider likes him. I get that a lot of fans don't see it. Neither does Rob Stanton, whom I respect very much.

It's not likely that anyone will develop into a franchise QB but I think it's at least as likely for Lock as it is for Penix, Nix, McCarthy, Rattler and a lot of other guys fans seem to be willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't it be sad if we let Lock get away and another team develops him? We know that won't happen with Geno. He is what he is.