Unlock Lock?

Are You Ready To "Unlock Lock?"

• Total voters

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I don't think Geno will survive an entire season. Whenever he goes down we will have no choice but to get behind Lock. For the time being I favor sticking with Geno to give Lock more time to get his mind fixated on not making stupid decisions. I do believe given enough time to improve on his deficiencies Lock can be a very effective QB.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I was all for Lock being the better option during the offseason until the preseason when Drew revealed that his football IQ is lower than his shoe size. I think Lock has the most physical potential, but he's not an NFL caliber starting QB between the ears. Stick with Geno, give him a chance to get settled as the #1 and for the other guys on offense get in rhythm with him. It won't be pretty at times and there's zero chance of a Wildcard, but Geno is the most logical answer under center as the starter.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I spoke to an acquaintance from Denver before the season started. He was asking about any shortcomings that #3 might bring, but also mentioned Drew Lock's problem with decision making. We sure saw an example of that when he threw that ugly interception.

He has polished skills and a lot of potential, but is maybe just insecure and is trying too hard. I think he can grow out of this "nervous-ness", but putting him in as a starter this early in the season will only make his insecurities worse. His career has started off with coaching changes and the pressure that expectation brings. But now with the Seahawks, he has a chance to sit back, learn and develop his self confidence.

I believe that he can still be an excellent quarterback, but right now he reacts like a puppy seeing the "rolled up newspaper".

Rosco

Reaction score
There is too much risk in benching Geno while he's playing well, and the team is still in contention. So I don't think we'll see Lock until at least week 8.

Geno is a strange QB to evaluate. He's elite in almost every advanced category besides points and yards, and 2 or 3 explosive plays per game from being a top 8 QB. It will be interesting to see how those stats change as he's given more control because, despite the overwhelming pessimism surrounding him, Geno's played reasonably well against two elite defenses.
SMH, there’s nothing elite about Geno. There has never been anything elite with Geno. If there was, he’d still be the Jets starter.

Rosco

Reaction score
At this point I'm happy to just play out the season with Geno.

The ugly INT Lock threw in preseason was unforgivable, and that was only one of his mistakes.

Leaving Geno in as a stable guy who knows the system makes much more sense while you're evaluating your young offensive line and trying to get the run going. Bringing Lock in doesn't help that process at all.

Neither of them are taking us to the playoffs, so leave the guy there who knows the system and can help the guys around him learn and improve.
You need competent QB play in order to evaluate a offense.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You need competent QB play in order to evaluate a offense.
Geno's play IS competent. It isn't explosive or creative. Important distinction.

You can evaluate the offense just fine when the passer is playing within structure.

xray

Reaction score
What difference does it make this season ? Play em both at once , for all I care . This year is for fun .

CPHawk

Reaction score
Will the result be any different whoever starts at QB?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Will the result be any different whoever starts at QB?
Most likely not.

We'll likely get to see both. It likely won't be fun to watch averaged over any multiple game stretch. Just have to enjoy the little moments when they happen.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Pete said during his Monday presser that they have been holding back with Geno, given the youth of our tackles and San Fran's pass rush. He said the tackles have shown enough and it's time to "let him go" (meaning Let Geno Cook). So, I need to see Geno unleashed for at least 2-3 games before deciding on Lock.
I saw this also. I don't believe Pete will open things up, but we'll see.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I was on board with starting Lock after the first preseason game, but by the end of camp I had to hit the pause button.

With a young set of tackles, Gabe Jackson having his worst year yet, and absolutely no run blocking yet, I think it’s best to ride Geno for a few more weeks and see what happens. He is calm. If he continues to not score, well, we all know it’ll be next man up time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Like I said before, let Geno play through a few more games and even Geno's hardcore supporters will give in.
And IF he's playing CONSERVATIVELY per Pete/ Shane, and they go Willy-Nilly with called schemed plays AND THE turnovers start mounting up LIKE THEY DID WITH Lock. That would make your sorry asses happy????????
Enter Lock...The turnovers AGAIN start destroying the Continuity that Waldren & Carroll have been trying to build with Lucas & Cross...in other words, EVERYTHING GOES INTO THE SHITTER TO PLEASE Some of y'all SORRY ASSES here on .NET, yeah...I DON'T THINK SO.
Time to Get a Clue guys.
I'll be the very first to admit that I am NOT AN EXPERT, I'm also ready to ADMIT that Husky, Fade, Chukkar, & Titus Pullo AINT EXPERTS EITHER.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
And IF he's playing CONSERVATIVELY per Pete/ Shane, and they go Willy-Nilly with called schemed plays AND THE turnovers start mounting up LIKE THEY DID WITH Lock. That would make your sorry asses happy????????
Enter Lock...The turnovers AGAIN start destroying the Continuity that Waldren & Carroll have been trying to build with Lucas & Cross...in other words, EVERYTHING GOES INTO THE SHITTER TO PLEASE Some of y'all SORRY ASSES here on .NET, yeah...I DON'T THINK SO.
Time to Get a Clue guys.
I'll be the very first to admit that I am NOT AN EXPERT, I'm also ready to ADMIT that Husky, Fade, Chukkar, & Titus Pullo AINT EXPERTS EITHER.
Scutter, I love the enthusiasm. But I'm getting you a new keyboard for Christmas. I think your caps lock button is possessed.

knownone

Reaction score
SMH, there’s nothing elite about Geno. There has never been anything elite with Geno. If there was, he’d still be the Jets starter.
Cool. Maybe take the team to read what I wrote.

He's #1 True Comp, #3 Deep Ball Comp, #5 Pressure Comp, and #5 in True QBR. He qualifies as elite in those categories. Sorry if that doesn't suit your narrative.

BASF

Reaction score
Cool. Maybe take the team to read what I wrote.

He's #1 True Comp, #3 Deep Ball Comp, #5 Pressure Comp, and #5 in True QBR. He qualifies as elite in those categories. Sorry if that doesn't suit your narrative.
But the eye test! The damn eye test!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Time to Get a Clue guys.
Averaging 1 TD a game is a guaranteed L. Geno is incapable of pushing the ball downfield. Run Lock, he at least has a chance of winning games and give the kid some reps. Geno will never be anything more than he is now. He will never magically become a starter in this league. 3 and outs are effectivley the same as turnovers as far as getting reps. This offense with Geno at the helm is DOA and 100% ineffective. Let the kid sling it and let the chips fall where they may. Its far better than watching Geno march out there and throw checkdowns all day.

BASF

Reaction score
Let the kid sling it and let the chips fall where they may. Its far better than watching Geno march out there and throw checkdowns all day.
Carroll said in his press conference that they have not been allowing Geno to sling it downfield. Maybe they should let Geno sling it before we start declaring that he is incapable of it. He throws the route that are called. Perhaps we should talk about leaving training wheels on the offense when the QB has been in the system for over a year. That is a failure of both head coach and offensive coordinator.