Top Tier QBs…”Pass” on Seattle?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Don't forget those 3rd down passing stats...
I pulled up 2021 NFL passing splits - 3rd down. Russell is toward the middle of the list (right behind Josh Allen) but he still had a higher rating (91.1) than Geno Smith (85.2). Some of the other notable QBs with a lower rating than RW were Ben R, Mac Jones, Derek Carr, Tua T, Jared Goff, Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Tyler Huntley, Lamar Jackson, Drew Lock, Baker Mayfield, ....

keasley45

Reaction score
I pulled up 2021 NFL passing splits - 3rd down. Russell is toward the middle of the list (right behind Josh Allen) but he still had a higher rating (91.1) than Geno Smith (85.2). Some of the other notable QBs with a lower rating than RW were Ben R, Mac Jones, Derek Carr, Tua T, Jared Goff, Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Tyler Huntley, Lamar Jackson, Drew Lock, Baker Mayfield, ....

That's about right. Over his career, Russ is squarely middle of the pack and usually lower. Best he's ever finished is maybe 8... once and 11th once or twice ( going off of memory). On average, he's between 14 and 21.
Of the established, top tier, franchise qbs, he's the only one to not finish consistently in the top 5 to top 10. Rodgers has had years where he was outside the top 10, but those are rare. Russ... the rarity was breaking in the top 10.

GemCity

Reaction score
I certainly hope not. To be stuck in a Cleveland/Cincie loop of drafting one 1st rd bust after another seems to be an awful and highly negative way of thinking about restocking the position.

Jn’P were pretty good at recognizing RW, and expressed draft interest in both Allen and Mahommes, something that got RWs camp annoyed.

I think the RW replacement will be found but odds are the player will never be as talented as Wilson although serviceable and more than adequate.
Maybe….I’m hearing about a certain QB that may have Josh Allen like ability. That’s a bold statement but after watching a few games and numerous YouTube videos, I’m praying to the football gods that we get Will Levis.

Torc

Reaction score
The last QB on a rookie contract that the Seahawks drafts was Alex McGough
I amend my statement - "the last rookie who started for the Seahawks". I really wasn't thinking of 7th round throwaway picks to poke the tires, I was thinking of QBs that were drafted to play. Any QB that the Seahawks draft in what all observers believe will be the first round is going to be expected to start his rookie year. I stand by my conclusion - any QB that the Seahawks draft next year will be 1000% thrilled to be here.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Well for one we don't know about this year at all yet.

As to last year
Ahh who here is anything but avg to below avg
Eskridge who had a whole 4 rush attempts, 10 pass, and played in only 10 games
Brown he of the whopping 10 tackles in 5 games
Forsythe played in only 10 games, only 14 snaps.

None of the one's last year as of now have done squat
Forsythe was drafted as a project in the sixth round. He wasn't expected to play much or do much. Eskridge and Brown got injured. Are Pete and John supposed to know ahead of time that that would happen? Taylor couldn't even play his entire first season and then looked really good last year, leading the team in sacks. And he's been said to be pretty much unstoppable in camp so far.

You can't make assumptions after just one year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

As to last year

Somehow I'm not surprised that you'd sit there and take the time to type out a post where you shamelessly judge a cornerbacks worth by his tackle total.

This, folks, is what you get when you tangle yourself ass-backwards in box scores to attempt to arrive at a conclusion that you DECIDED to arrive at before looking at the facts. A completely disingenuous bastardization of statistics being used incorrectly to "support" conclusions that they simply aren't related to.

Do not be like this. Do not be intellectually dishonest. It's absolutely poisonous to this board, and it makes *absolutely no goddamn sense*.

I'm ahh-palled, ahh-ghast, and frankly, this is ahh-gitating to read.

keasley45

Reaction score

As to last year

This is typical of those claiming that the reality of who we are is an untalented team with years to go before we can be good again, because we lost the guy who was polishing the turd of a team that we actually were. And that talk of us actually being 'OK' is blind optimism.

Forsythe was never expected to start. he was expected to be a good backup if needed while he developed, and this year, is fighting for time at RT.

Eskridge - if you want to ignore the reality of who he was in college and the obvious talent he has, because he got injured and missed the season, cool. But to me, that's negating the obvious, in favor of a circumstance that couldnt have been predicted. Eskridge showed nothing to make anyone question that he wont be as good as advertised. When he touched the ball in th elone game he played, he certainly looked the part of the electric player he was brought in to be.

The same nonsense was leveled at Daryl Taylor - wasted pick, reach. How has that turned out?

And Tre Brown... really? Here

In his limited opportunities as a cold ROOKIE, he was the 7th ranked corner IN THE LEAGUE.

1st in man coverage

33rd in zone

7th overall

So, John, he actually showed a little bit more than 'squat'. He was one of the best in the league. But that doesnt jibe with your narrative that the entire team sucked, Russ had to save it, and now that hes gone, we're just going to be what we only would have ever been with Pete as coach - a .500 or worse team. Your logic is clear and i have to admit, i admire its consistency. The sun rises and sets everyday, and Russel Wilson was the only thing that ever REALLY made us great.