The Denver pick can easily move down to 5

Smellyman

Reaction score
Some would say Russ didn't take enough risks. How many three and outs did we endure watching Russ huck it out of bounds when he could have possibly made a tight completion like Geno's done dozens of times this year?

Hard to say, and I certainly get this criticism of Geno. But it doesn't preclude me from thinking he can still be a very good above average QB for the next 2-3 years for the Hawks.
chuck it out of bounds? Russ rarely did that. Much better for his own stats just to take the sack

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Geno just turned 32, don't sell him like he's 35. He's younger than Russ, Tannehill, Cousins... He's got a solid 3 year peak left. You have a ton of holes to fill and an opportunity to get some of the best talent available and you'd rather use it on a roll of the dice QB when you don't have to?

End up with Zach Wilson out here when we could've just kept a top 10 QB. Guy who's #1 in CP% with minimum 100 attempts. 4th in TDs. 8th in yards. And a winning record. And the playoffs. You can assume regression all you want, but you can't assume that us getting the 'third' rated QB in the draft is going to pan out.

But Geno isnt a 10 plus year answer and one of these guys could be

How many opportunities to you get to draft a franchise QB?

Going with Geno is the safer choice now, but what if passing on one of these guys lowers our 10 year ceiling?

Ozzy

Reaction score

Going with Geno is the safer choice now, but what if passing on one of these guys lowers our 10 year ceiling?
Yeah I promise JS knows the value of the position and if his guy is there he will take him, it would be stupid not to. But geno is good enough he doesn’t have to desperately force a QB either if he’s not confident in one. The idea they can’t fill other holes while securing an elite QB is odd too, they have another first and two seconds

SonicHawk

Reaction score

I don’t have any concept of 10 years from now as a roster. Do you know what our roster was 10 years ago? Literally no one left. Except Irvin who left.

We are in the playoffs today. With the QB we have now. And it certainly wasn’t in spite of his play.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I don’t have any concept of 10 years from now as a roster. Do you know what our roster was 10 years ago? Literally no one left. Except Irvin who left.

We are in the playoffs today. With the QB we have now. And it certainly wasn’t in spite of his play.

My post wasnt a knock on Geno. I like him

It was referring to what a franchise should do when they get an unexpected opportunity to draft a franchise QB, if you think that guy is there

And a drafted QB isnt going to only have an impact 10 years from now.

He'd be an immediate starter now AND 10 years from now

Geno will not

Its something to consider

Ozzy

Reaction score
My post wasnt a knock on Geno. I like him

It was referring to what a franchise should do when they get an unexpected opportunity to draft a franchise QB, if you think that guy is there

And a drafted QB isnt going to only have an impact 10 years from now.

He'd be an immediate starter now AND 10 years from now

Geno will not

Its something to consider
Yeah there isn’t a franchise in the league who would not draft a burrow, Herbert, Allen if they thought the prospect was graded that high because they have Geno, not one. But I also agree in a sense bc like I said geno is good enough that you aren’t forced to take a guy you’re sort of high on.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I’m not saying I’m Nostradamus here. I accept the opportunity is great, but either commit to that guy or geno for 3 years and see if we can win it all.

I don’t think any of the top QBs are a Joe Burrow. Is there a Josh Allen or Mahomes available? That’s the kind of upgrade we need to get with such a serviceable, potentially top 8 QB option in Geno.

You’re using a top pick on a question mark when you could be filling a huge hole with a top 3 non qb.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m not saying I’m Nostradamus here. I accept the opportunity is great, but either commit to that guy or geno for 3 years and see if we can win it all.

I don’t think any of the top QBs are a Joe Burrow. Is there a Josh Allen or Mahomes available? That’s the kind of upgrade we need to get with such a serviceable, potentially top 8 QB option in Geno.

You’re using a top pick on a question mark when you could be filling a huge hole with a top 3 non qb.
Really we don’t disagree. It all comes down the grade. I think there is that guy in this class potentially but I’m not an nfl scout so I’m fascinated to see what JS thinks

Ozzy

Reaction score
I watched Carter on most snaps and I’m still not convinced he’s so good that you draft an interior guy with your top 5 pick, he didn’t have an Aaron Donald type impact where you notice him snap after snap just manhandling people. He wasn’t good against Ohio St either. He’s very good but if I have a top 5 pick it’s either an edge guy or a QB and after tonights game I’m even more convinced

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I watched Carter on most snaps and I’m still not convinced he’s so good that you draft an interior guy with your top 5 pick, he didn’t have an Aaron Donald type impact where you notice him snap after snap just manhandling people. He wasn’t good against Ohio St either. He’s very good but if I have a top 5 pick it’s either an edge guy or a QB and after tonights game I’m even more convinced
I really like the idea of Myles Murphy.

seahawks08

Reaction score
We need to take and develop QBs, that’s something KS regrets. Part of it could be at that time to keep RW happy. We need to pick QBs in 3rd or later rounds and develop them. Pete’s system doesn’t call for a big time cerebral QB but more accurate complementary QB that develops more on in the future. We are going to take a flyer on a signal caller but mostly round 2 or higher

bigskydoc

Reaction score
This was my immediate reaction to the idea. My mind snapped to the first possession fumbles, easy balls thrown at receivers feet, etc.

Russ, in particular, needed those early series scripted plays, to get in a rhythm, and get the yips out. Every QB does better if he has a chance to settle in, but Russ was uniquely bad in the early game, before he had a chance to calm the nerves.

The weird thing about Russ, was, as bad as his nerves woukd get to him in the early game, fee have his nerves of steel when it came time to close out a game. By keeping games close, Pete let him do what he excelled at, closing out the game.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I honestly did not watch the whole game, but with that said, in my opinion, Carter was very disruptive in the parts of the game I did see. Honestly, outside of Aaron Donald, how many defensive tackles do you see consistently disrupting plays? To me he is the perfect pick for the Hawks to transform their defense once again.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I honestly did not watch the whole game, but with that said, in my opinion, Carter was very disruptive in the parts of the game I did see. Honestly, outside of Aaron Donald, how many defensive tackles do you see consistently disrupting plays? To me he is the perfect pick for the Hawks to transform their defense once again.
In college? Most of the interior guys picked in the top 5 are about 3 times as productive. I think he has 6 sacks total at Georgia? I could be wrong there I’ll check but regardless he hasn’t been as productive as you’d like.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If they go non-qb, I think Murphy looks fantastic. Trading up with their next pick to snag a developmental qb like Richardson also seems like a possibility, although they would probably need to get into the top ten to do so, which isn't likely.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This was my immediate reaction to the idea. My mind snapped to the first possession fumbles, easy balls thrown at receivers feet, etc.

Russ, in particular, needed those early series scripted plays, to get in a rhythm, and get the yips out. Every QB does better if he has a chance to settle in, but Russ was uniquely bad in the early game, before he had a chance to calm the nerves.

The weird thing about Russ, was, as bad as his nerves woukd get to him in the early game, fee have his nerves of steel when it came time to close out a game. By keeping games close, Pete let him do what he excelled at, closing out the game.
Very good point. I'm a Russ homer by this boards standards but it was so unique how bad he was early until he got going and got settled in. One of his best qualities was no matter how bad he was playing he could turn it on at any point and take a game over which he did about as often as any QB in the league did during that time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chuck it out of bounds? Russ rarely did that. Much better for his own stats just to take the sack

Rarely did that?

Dude rolled out of pressure and threw it out of bounds like 10 times a game. Not sure what games you were watching. Same thing's happening in Denver, ol' Russ led the league again in three and outs.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

I like Geno, but you're not winning superbowl with that guy. You need a top 5 QB to win it all with our defensive issues