The Brand vs Colts TNF Game thread

Scout

Reaction score
About the 4th and 1: Do you recall Russ ever doing a QB sneak? If so, when was the last time he did one? Seems as if that's not a play he makes, which is a problem in my opinion. That's a play I'd want in my toolbox for short-yardage situations.
Tom Brady does it all the time and he is much older than Wilson.

toffee

Reaction score

NINEster

Reaction score
Wilson is going anywhere. That coach is going to get ran off and they'll hire Sean Payton.

#3 is what he is . Smoke and mirrors , cringe-y sayings . 3 and outs and an occasional jump ball
That's makes him look like he knows what he's doing. The Bronco fan base doesn't appear to have the same patience that the 12s had.
He's going to lose his team .

Bummer 😜

I've been critical of the guy for a decade, but of course being outnumbered a million to one here, nobody would ever listen to me....a "hater" 49er fan. :)

Eventually the things he was really really good at (mobility, deep ball) would come to an end, and I knew when it did, this was what it would look like.

And yeah, Lockett and Metcalf are underrated.

NINEster

Reaction score
I felt Richard Sherman was a bit of a jerk at the end of his Seahawks career, but damn! He spoke the truth tonight!

He's smart, he's passionate. He deserves to be on one of the major Networks!

Sherman is fantastic.

For him to be such a hated guy by Niner fans and now beloved by them, is an accomplishment that I have no words for.

It turns out he was just being a dick because of Harbaugh, and maybe to an extent that LOB culture.

But he was never once a fake, always genuine and real, and definitely more humble now than before.

Wilson on the other hand was never genuine, and I hated the fact that he was given a majority of the credit for beating the 49ers. If anything, his 17-4 record against SF is channeling his defense to shut down the Niners' offense enough that he can win a close game, whenever the teams were evenly matched.

He even managed to pull that off a few weeks ago. Only difference then was Jimmy and the Niner offense was even more inept than Indy's tonight.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I've been critical of the guy for a decade, but of course being outnumbered a million to one here, nobody would ever listen to me....a "hater" 49er fan. :)

Eventually the things he was really really good at (mobility, deep ball) would come to an end, and I knew when it did, this was what it would look like.
the majority would never allow us to criticize "the BRAND" despite the obvious flaws and limitations.

during our superbowl runs, the site was FLOODED with people that simply don't know football or were (non-seahawk) wilson fans. and subsequently, criticizing their demi-god was sacrilege. :rolleyes: but those flood waters subsided once the losing started, wilson forcing his way out, and the final death-blow being wilson's performance last night. the wilson apologists who always put the blame on pete carroll are gone from the site. nowhere to be found.

today even the most die-hard wilson apologists can't support wilson on this site without looking like complete and utter fools.

we respect what he did. that's not the issue. he's a ring of honor guy, borderline HOF. but the reality is he's a diva, a manipulator, is diminishing, and he's been a detriment to the organization for atleast a few years. and that's what normies are finally waking up to. at this stage in his career wilson's not worth near what the broncos gave up. but seemingly everybody criticized pete carroll and john schneider for trading wilson during the offseason. pete carroll's no genius, but wilson is certainly making him look like one right now.

... btw don't you got your own problems at qb? :sneaky: what's the plan at qb for the 49ers going forward? is trey still the future? how far will jimmy g take you this year?

NINEster

Reaction score
the majority would never allow us to criticize "the BRAND" despite the obvious flaws and limitations.

during our superbowl runs, the site was FLOODED with people that simply don't know football or were (non-seahawk) wilson fans. and subsequently, criticizing their demi-god was sacrilege. :rolleyes: but those flood waters subsided once the losing started, wilson forcing his way out, and the final death-blow being wilson's performance last night. the wilson apologists who always put the blame on pete carroll are gone from the site. nowhere to be found.

today even the most die-hard wilson apologists can't support wilson on this site without looking like complete and utter fools.

we respect what he did. that's not the issue. he's a ring of honor guy, borderline HOF. but the reality is he's a diva, a manipulator, is diminishing, and he's been a detriment to the organization for atleast a few years. and that's what normies are finally waking up to. at this stage in his career wilson's not worth near what the broncos gave up. but seemingly everybody criticized pete carroll and john schneider for trading wilson during the offseason. pete carroll's no genius, but wilson is certainly making him look like one right now.

... btw don't you got your own problems at qb? :sneaky: what's the plan at qb for the 49ers going forward? is trey still the future? how far will jimmy g take you this year?

I don't know bro.....it will be Jimmy as far as he can take us with the rest of the team pulling heavy weight.

Lance will be the future, whatever that is.......boom or bust......it's what you need nowadays. The safe choice for QB requires a 2013 level Seahawk defense with a power run game, and that formula I don't think can be replicated anymore (or at least the Niners aren't lucky enough to win that way).

I'm jaded.....you can't make me feel bad about Jimmy, LOL, and besides nobody thinks he's good anyway. So it will likely be business as usual this season.

And to go back to memory lane one more time:

Kap vs. Wilson.......yeah I think Wilson was better long term, but back then it was close, and Carroll managed Wilson way better than Harbaugh did Kaepernick. I think with Kap in Seattle instead of Wilson from the beginning, he's very likely a starting NFL QB.

Carroll did even better coaching the Seahawks than I thought previously.

NINEster

Reaction score

As far as your post, good stuff.

Not easy to dissect QB play.

People associate W/L too much with QB play.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with going for it on 4th and 1 either, but why not put Russ in a roll out/bootleg option to utilize his legs (yes he's lost several steps but can still pick up a first down) so he has the option to pass or pick up the first down on the run? Seems so simple to me. Why are they making it so damn difficult on themselves? Roll out, pass or run for the TD or first down. Game over.
Agreed. I couldn't believe it when they came out in the gun on 4th and 1 with everything on the line. Why give the defense the luxury of not having to worry about the run, which had been relatively effective? It also would have made it a little easier to draw the defense offside.

But most of all, it was Russell's execution that killed them, especially at the end of regulation when a FG would have forced the Colts to score a TD. Although Hackett has gotten a ton of blame, it was Russell that killed them last night.

Scout

Reaction score
Kurt Warner did some breakdowns and it is clear that RW has to trust his WRs more when it comes to YAC opportunities with underneath routes. Teams are going to keep playing cover 2 and forcing RW to become a precise passer to beat cover 2. Beating cover 2 is easier with simple runs but the Broncos are starting to sustain injuries on offense. Still, Gordon and Boone looked competent running the ball at a decent clip so the Broncos can beat these cover 2 looks. But only if they take what they are being given. RW passing 30+ times per game is not working.

schkoot

Reaction score

I’ve been here under this ridiculous*** screen name going all the way back to the Kitna era. On previous iterations of this board, I would post more frequently than I do now.

The reason for that is perfectly stated in your opening paragraph. I just never bought into Russell Wilson as some super great QB the same way other people did, and any attempt to say so would result in a dog pile.

So I’ve been pretty much lurking the whole time. I imagine there are others like me.

***(joined in my early 20s and screen name was a nickname I got from an old Japanese lady who couldn’t pronounce my name right).

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
As far as your post, good stuff.

Not easy to dissect QB play.

People associate W/L too much with QB play.
it's one thing for casual fans to misdiagnose or not understand a player. for the broncos, who were a qb desperate team (still are 😜) to not do any real homework into russell wilson, how he operates, and his limited/diminishing gameplay, is really, really baffling.

it's almost like the broncos decided to trade for him once he was made available having only looked at wilson's stats and his superbowl ring. and then to top it all off, they doubled-down and extended him for an additional 5 years ⁉️ based on those past accomplishments. they made these franchise altering decisions seemingly impulsively, rather than doing the nitty gritty homework and studying film, talking to players, truly finding out who wilson really is at this point. they didn't do any substantive research and it shows. the glove doesn't fit. by doing substantive research, they could have avoided their whole mess... ahahaha 😭.

and it was one thing to trade for him, but it's another thing blindly extending him. they really shouldn't have extended him without truly understanding his limitations and seeing the product on the field first. it's like buying clothes online without even looking at a size chart or reading reviews and then being stuck with clothes that don't fit or match the description. and there's no returns allowed!

unbelievable, really.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score

And yeah, Lockett and Metcalf are underrated.

Re your last line: One of the analysis of Russ in Denver going into the season that really ticked me off was one that said Russ had "the best group of skilled position players he's ever had by far". Lockett, Metcalf, Baldwin to catch passes. Rice and Tate were very good his first couple of years too. Lynch in the backfield then Carson. That comment was unfair and terrible

Ruminator

Reaction score
Re your last line: One of the analysis of Russ in Denver going into the season that really ticked me off was one that said Russ had "the best group of skilled position players he's ever had by far". Lockett, Metcalf, Baldwin to catch passes. Rice and Tate were very good his first couple of years too. Lynch in the backfield then Carson. That comment was unfair and terrible
Oh, absolutely by far! The Seahawks' skilled position players, in comparison, are barely any better than quadriplegic and blind three-toed sloths!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I’ve been here under this ridiculous*** screen name going all the way back to the Kitna era. On previous iterations of this board, I would post more frequently than I do now.

The reason for that is perfectly stated in your opening paragraph. I just never bought into Russell Wilson as some super great QB the same way other people did, and any attempt to say so would result in a dog pile.

So I’ve been pretty much lurking the whole time. I imagine there are others like me.

***(joined in my early 20s and screen name was a nickname I got from an old Japanese lady who couldn’t pronounce my name right).
That does it. Everyone DOGPILE ON SCHOOT!!!!!
LOL LOL LOL

The Russ 'legacy' is still taking aftershock waves today, but I think that may not be the whole story. That game was so bad I worry the nfl product as a whole might have taken a serious hit. When home town fans leave with the game tied going into an overtime there is more disgust involved than just disappointment with the play of their QB. I wonder how many Amazon viewers turned it off long before the OT ever happened. In short, Russ's legacy may have changed from just being a Denver Disappointment to 'the guy who brought down the NFL'.
It will be interesting to see how viewer ratings react going forward.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
That does it. Everyone DOGPILE ON SCHOOT!!!!!
LOL LOL LOL

The Russ 'legacy' is still taking aftershock waves today, but I think that may not be the whole story. That game was so bad I worry the nfl product as a whole might have taken a serious hit. When home town fans leave with the game tied going into an overtime there is more disgust involved than just disappointment with the play of their QB. I wonder how many Amazon viewers turned it off long before the OT ever happened. In short, Russ's legacy may have changed from just being a Denver Disappointment to 'the guy who brought down the NFL'.
It will be interesting to see how viewer ratings react going forward.

Interesting points. I was thinking that TNF and Amazon might take a hit due to this week and next (Washington Commanders and the Bears) but didn't think about the total NFL picture.

I also wonder how Denver's new owners will respond. Not the product they thought they were paying for I'm sure.

BASF

Reaction score
it's one thing for casual fans to misdiagnose or not understand a player. for the broncos, who were a qb desperate team (still are 😜) to not do any real homework into russell wilson, how he operates, and his limited/diminishing gameplay, is really, really baffling.

it's almost like the broncos decided to trade for him once he was made available having only looked at wilson's stats and his superbowl ring. and then to top it all off, they doubled-down and extended him for an additional 5 years ⁉️ based on those past accomplishments. they made these franchise altering decisions seemingly impulsively, rather than doing the nitty gritty homework and studying film, talking to players, truly finding out who wilson really is at this point. they didn't do any substantive research and it shows. the glove doesn't fit. by doing substantive research, they could have avoided their whole mess... ahahaha 😭.

and it was one thing to trade for him, but it's another thing blindly extending him. they really shouldn't have extended him without truly understanding his limitations and seeing the product on the field first. it's like buying clothes online without even looking at a size chart or reading reviews and then being stuck with clothes that don't fit or match the description. and there's no returns allowed!

unbelievable, really.
I truly believe that he was holding in without making it public. I also believe that Team3 knew that his skills are diminishing and that they needed to get their next contract before anyone but the Seahawks knew it for a fact.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Some of the (anti-Carroll) experts around here agreed, and told us that the Seahawks were headed into a decade of miserable failure, while Wilson was headed for great success, starting immediately. They told us the Broncos were finally giving Wilson a decent offensive line, plus lots of "weapons," and they assured us that the Broncos organization is being run much better than the Seahawks.

One of my all-time favorite posts here (for its unintentional humor value) just makes me laugh every time because of how dead-wrong it is on so many points, and it's a great example of this kind of expert opinion. Here's a choice excerpt about how much better Wilson's new environment is than his old one:
Simply the Broncos have drafted better, signed better free agents, made better trades than the Seahawks since 2015, save for the QB. Which are hard AF to find.

Of course, now that Wilson's on-field performance is blowing diseased goats, I fully expect the experts to explain to us why it's anyone's fault but Wilson's. That means Broncos players and management will come under fire. And I still wonder if they'll find a way to blame Pete Carroll for Wilson's current on-field failures.