The Brand vs Colts TNF Game thread

BASF

Reaction score
Question for those who watched the game (only listened to it while putting hammer to steel at work), about something Sherman said. He was apparently talking about regulation and the Broncos had the ball with the lead on fourth and 1 and the Colts had no timeouts.

Is that accurate?

In that situation, they decided to throw from the pocket when they could have just run out the clock to win the game with gaining one yard.

Is that accurate?

In that throw from the pocket Wilson decided to throw to the right while looking the opposite direction presumably to look off the safety at a former defensive player of the year. Who of course intercepted the pass allowing the Colts to move down the field and tie the game.

Is that accurate?

chrispy

Reaction score
Question for those who watched the game (only listened to it while putting hammer to steel at work), about something Sherman said. He was apparently talking about regulation and the Broncos had the ball with the lead on fourth and 1 and the Colts had no timeouts.

Is that accurate?

In that situation, they decided to throw from the pocket when they could have just run out the clock to win the game with gaining one yard.

Is that accurate?

In that throw from the pocket Wilson decided to throw to the right while looking the opposite direction presumably to look off the safety at a former defensive player of the year. Who of course intercepted the pass allowing the Colts to move down the field and tie the game.

Is that accurate?
Yes. Accurate. In fact, they were well within FG range too. They could have gone for the yard running and, if unsuccessful through 3 downs, kicked a FG to go up by 6. Since there were no TDs the entire game, it's a very safe bet that that would have iced the game with a kick too. But...RCW had 0 TD passes and already one Int. Rushing would have only won the game. Kicking would have only won the game. ...not good enough if a QB wants MVP status and personal stats and endorsements and recognition and...and...and. So...you throw it and hope Malcolm Butler isn't paying attention...oh, I mean Stephon Gilmore.

chrispy

Reaction score
Tom Brady does it all the time and he is much older than Wilson.
That only goes into QB stats as 1/2 yd gain. Why waste an opportunity to bomb it 40yds? The only downside is another 3 and out....

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Kurt Warner did some breakdowns and it is clear that RW has to trust his WRs more when it comes to YAC opportunities with underneath routes. Teams are going to keep playing cover 2 and forcing RW to become a precise passer to beat cover 2. Beating cover 2 is easier with simple runs but the Broncos are starting to sustain injuries on offense. Still, Gordon and Boone looked competent running the ball at a decent clip so the Broncos can beat these cover 2 looks. But only if they take what they are being given. RW passing 30+ times per game is not working.
The issue is processing speed or ability or both. The examples Warner goes through are all showing Russell come off the primary option too late. Often times the look he gets should eliminate the primary pre-snap, but he doesn't see it. At times it's his desire to hang onto the big shot too long, which causes him to be late through his progression. It all comes back to Russell being a poor processor.
Whether he really doesn't understand what he's seeing or does, but stubbornly thinks he can overcome the defensive look is the question. Only he and the coaches in the film room know the answer. Either way, the results won't change much because he ain't gonna change.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The issue is processing speed or ability or both. The examples Warner goes through are all showing Russell come off the primary option too late. Often times the look he gets should eliminate the primary pre-snap, but he doesn't see it. At times it's his desire to hang onto the big shot too long, which causes him to be late through his progression. It all comes back to Russell being a poor processor.
Whether he really doesn't understand what he's seeing or does, but stubbornly thinks he can overcome the defensive look is the question. Only he and the coaches in the film room know the answer. Either way, the results won't change much because he ain't gonna change.
Your analysis is very good, and I agree with it completely. But I don't agree with your conclusion, that the results won't change because he won't change.

Say what you want about Russell, but no one works harder at mastering the game as he does. Whether or not he has a "come to Jesus" moment and realizes his faults and corrects them, I couldn't say. But I wouldn't make the assumption that he won't.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
And to go back to memory lane one more time:

Kap vs. Wilson.......yeah I think Wilson was better long term, but back then it was close, and Carroll managed Wilson way better than Harbaugh did Kaepernick. I think with Kap in Seattle instead of Wilson from the beginning, he's very likely a starting NFL QB.

Carroll did even better coaching the Seahawks than I thought previously.
Solid take

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Your analysis is very good, and I agree with it completely. But I don't agree with your conclusion, that the results won't change because he won't change.

Say what you want about Russell, but no one works harder at mastering the game as he does. Whether or not he has a "come to Jesus" moment and realizes his faults and corrects them, I couldn't say. But I wouldn't make the assumption that he won't.
The only possibility for improvement is if Russell is willfully ignoring the proper reads in order to make the big play. If that's the case, he could decide to play the position properly at some point, I guess, but why would he after 10 years of not doing it? He's got his extension. They won't bench him or cut him for at least 3 more seasons.

If his processing problem is ability based. Meaning he just isn't good at deciphering pre/post snap defenses, no extra amount of work is gonna make him smarter in that capacity 11 years into his career. If he was 2 or 3 years in, sure, it would be possible, but he's now on his 11th season and 4th OC. If he hasn't picked it up by now, he's not going to.
The only that might change his attitude is getting released and having no teams p8ck him up the rest of the season. That slap of reality might be enough to get through. He's surrounded with too many yes people to change on his own. That's why that extension was deadly. It's all the cover he needs. Imagine this same start to the season without that extension! The media and fans would be screaming to bench or cut his ass after 5 games

Rainger

Reaction score

Say what you want about Russell, but no one works harder at mastering the game as he ONCE DID. Whether or not he has a "come to Jesus" moment and realizes his faults and corrects them, I couldn't say. But I wouldn't make the assumption that he won't.
Fixed it for you!!

RiverDog

Reaction score
The only possibility for improvement is if Russell is willfully ignoring the proper reads in order to make the big play. If that's the case, he could decide to play the position properly at some point, I guess, but why would he after 10 years of not doing it? He's got his extension. They won't bench him or cut him for at least 3 more seasons.

If his processing problem is ability based. Meaning he just isn't good at deciphering pre/post snap defenses, no extra amount of work is gonna make him smarter in that capacity 11 years into his career. If he was 2 or 3 years in, sure, it would be possible, but he's now on his 11th season and 4th OC. If he hasn't picked it up by now, he's not going to.
The only that might change his attitude is getting released and having no teams p8ck him up the rest of the season. That slap of reality might be enough to get through. He's surrounded with too many yes people to change on his own. That's why that extension was deadly. It's all the cover he needs. Imagine this same start to the season without that extension! The media and fans would be screaming to bench or cut his ass after 5 games
Again, good analysis and I agree, except for your last paragraph.

Russell has taken an absolutely ruthless and severe beating in the press and on social media. Unless he lives on another planet, he's seeing and hearing the same stuff we've all been exposed to. This is the same Russell Wilson that was so concerned about his image that it truly became an obsession with him.

In addition, if KJ Hamler's reaction at the end of the Colts game is by any means representative of his teammates' attitude, Russell could be facing some pretty severe criticism within his own locker room. Would that be enough to cause him to experience that "come to Jesus" moment I referred to? It sure would if it were me.

So we'll see how this all plays out. We're all in agreement that what Russell and Hackett are doing in Denver has been a huge failure to this point of the season. But at 2-3, Denver is still very much in the hunt, and this has been one strange start to the season. I heard yesterday that this season has set a record for the most teams at 2-2 after Week 4. There were 4 divisions that didn't have a team with a plus .500 record. Denver and Russell are not dead, not by a long shot.

Last edited: