The Brand gets flack for his truck...

Jac

Reaction score
I was in self-denial about all this when he was here...but there are just so many levels of cringe in that tweet (starting with the fact that he's the one that tweeted that collage).

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Funny how Tom Brady never gets criticism for being too much of an aloof, nice guy. Or for his spouse. Or the way he dresses (Ugh Uggs). Or his political affiliations. Or his sometimes awkward, public interactions with his kids.

Aaron Rodgers never gets criticized for being a self-absorbed egomaniac, who is arrogant, and condescending, with no personality, and who's teammates admit to "respecting him, even if they don't like him."

Brett Farve was never criticized for. "reckless(ly) running around like a beheaded barnyard fowl and eventually, almost as often throwing a touchdown as heaving an interception."

Joe Burrows doesn't get criticized for his choice of suits, or his accoutrements.

Garoppolo never gets criticism for his "lack of awareness and accountability," while offering little more than his GQ looks.

Mayfield is never criticized for dressing "like Marv, the house-robbing bad guy played by Daniel Stern in the “Home Alone” franchise." Or any of his well publicized, off-field antics, or his erratic play.

May as well toss Manziel in here. He was never criticized for his recklessness, nor his erratic play, nor his discipline, nor his lack of studying game film. His off the field antics were clearly off limits, and nobody cared about his girlfriend's public photos and videos.

(/sarcasm)

I suppose the NFL's treatment of Watson will be compared to how they reprimanded Roethlisburger. It isn't a fair comparison because the NFL, and the world, is very different now than it was in 2010.

This whole Mahomes, Jackson, Murray stuff is just another tempest in a teacup. If one is an NFL QB, he is going to get these kinds of weird criticisms.

Last edited:

Slick

Reaction score
Maybe instead of NFL Nation, this thread could be moved to a new category called wierd criticisms of black quarterbacks. Also included could be new threads about Mahomes streetball/no second read, Murray's independent study clause and Lamar Jackson's throwing ability/not a quarterback.

Discuss? (or maybe best not)
Miniature violin being played so hard for you right now.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Maybe instead of NFL Nation, this thread could be moved to a new category called wierd criticisms of black quarterbacks. Also included could be new threads about Mahomes streetball/no second read, Murray's independent study clause and Lamar Jackson's throwing ability/not a quarterback.

Lulz.

Are you on purpose skipping the fun being made of non black QBs?

Jac

Reaction score
Lulz.

Are you on purpose skipping the fun being made of non black QBs?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lock was the most mocked QB all offseason. It was pretty relentless. Manziel was a distant second.

Jac

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lock was the most mocked QB all offseason. It was pretty relentless. Manziel was a distant second.

* Mayfield. Hadn’t bad my first coffee yet. Maybe helps the point, though…

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He always have his brand, but his brand's presentation evolved over time. This is my take.
Money and fame breaks down inhibitions. Young Russell Wilson came into the building without money or fame. Once he found success is when we saw the transformation. He's always talked about his brand even from day one. There is a quote that goes like this: "money makes you more of what you always are". I'm not surprised in the least at Wilson's evolution.

Wilson has built a reputation and level of success such that he no longer needs to put on a front. People want to blame Ciara, but Wilson was like this before Ciara if we believe reports about him throwing fits in training camp because the LOB trash talked him. The ego exist in all of us and if gone unchecked, this sort of thing is what happens.

Wilson to some degree was always cocky and full of himself. He just tried to put a nice guy veneer over it. Confidence is important but just like anything, too much can be the downfall of you.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Anyone who says Aaron Rodger in particular hasn't been called out, especially with that vaccine fiasco other hasn't been paying attetinon or purposely not acknowledging it. Actually Brady, Mayfield etc have all been made mocked in the NFL world for the stuff they supposedly haven't been mocked for.

toffee

Reaction score
Money and fame breaks down inhibitions. Young Russell Wilson came into the building without money or fame. Once he found success is when we saw the transformation. He's always talked about his brand even from day one. There is a quote that goes like this: "money makes you more of what you always are". I'm not surprised in the least that Wilson's evolution.

Wilson has built a reputation and level of success such that he no longer needs to put on a front. People want to blame Ciara, but Wilson was like this before Ciara if we believe reports about him throwing fits in training camp because the LOB trash talked him. The ego exist in all of us and if gone unchecked, this sort of thing is what happens.

Wilson to some degree was always cocky and full of himself. He just tried to put a nice guy veneer over it. Confidence is important but just like anything, too much can be the downfall of you.
It's like a guy who always talk about wanting a Cadillac. In 2012-14, this is the caddy he talked about: Sculpted and sexy at 60 beautifully restored 1960 cadillac eldorado biarritzs l1600

Now his preference as evolved into this:
I010686

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If you've ever read "No More Mr. Nice Guy," you know exactly who Russell Wilson is, and exactly why he rubs so many the wrong way.

balakoth

Reaction score

You tried I guess.. terribly.. but you tried

keasley45

Reaction score

Bro. It's not about criticizing a black qb. It's that he's a socially awkward (at times seemingly bordering on aspergers, awkward), yet a calculated narcissist at the same time. He's a Bible thumper, yet has no qualms giving the media, that lazy, sleepy eyed gaze and lying straight into the camera. He's a goof ball nerd, and yet hooks up with one of the hottest (appearance wise - subjective, I know) 'entertainers' in the music industry.

And then on top of all of that, he's a HOF talent that struggles to read defenses.

He's a walking f'ing contradiction who in his very person, will invite criticism from every corner.

It's a classic case of, it's not us, it's him.