Quarterback options for 2024

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Because we already are and he'll want more? He was one of the ONLY backups with 2-3 starts to not be able to surpass his starter in a wide variety of metrics: Completion percentage, success rate, passer rating, QBR, ANY/A, sack rate... he did worse than Geno in all of those.

Most backups have at least one thing they do that they pass their starter on just due differences in their style or the way defenses adjust to playing a backup.

Drew did not.

Geno is playing like a top 15 QB. He has a top 15 QB contract. He's not playing like a top 10 or top 5 QB (this year) but he doesn't have a top 10 or top 5 QB contract.

Drew played like a bottom 5 QB2. He has a top 5 QB2 contract. That's the definition of overpaying.
If you're gonna compare 2 games to 15 games than why bother. One game he played against the niners and didn't play any worse than Geno did when he played against them at home. Second game he played he won in Philly on a come from behind win that some praise Geno for doing. If you call that over paying for some one who can, again probably give the same production as a guy making twice as much than ok. Stats are over hyped, in a game that has changed to cater too offensive production.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
If you're gonna compare 2 games to 15 games than why bother. One game he played against the niners and didn't play any worse than Geno did when he played against them at home. Second game he played he won in Philly on a come from behind win that some praise Geno for doing. If you call that over paying for some one who can, again probably give the same production as a guy making twice as much than ok. Stats are over hyped, in a game that has changed to cater too offensive production.
The point isn't how Drew did vs. Geno, it's how he did compared to other backups.

I don't expect Drew to do better on everything or even most things than Geno. That's not realistic. I'm saying he did better on nothing. And that was a uniquely bad statistic. There were a dozen backups who had similar playing time to Drew. Almost all of them had at least ONE metric they could point to where they bested their starter.

Drew was one of only 3 who didn't. And he's making twice as much or more than those guys.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It must be a sign of the apocalypse that we're arguing about Geno vs Lock, as though it really matters either way. Good grief. Can't wait until we move on and draft a qbotf...

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Alright well my bad you made it seem like the dude was crazy for saying Goff is better. I think the Geno we saw this year was the same Teno we saw the second half of last year and not so much because of the issues you listed BUT to be fair we don’t really know and I could very well be wrong. We just have 10 plus years of Geno vs half a season so to me, I think he is what he is this year for the most part. Sure he could be a little better if they fix the issues listed and if they keep him I hope that’s the case.

Anyway even though I don’t think Geno is as good as Goff I also don’t think he’s miles worse so I understand the argument. It’s well within the range of outcomes.
I didn't make it seem like he was crazy. I responded to a post saying the singular thing that Geno has over Goff is mobility, which is a beyond questionable take. That take, of course, was posted directly after him responding to a decently reasoned post with "Geno sucks that's why, stop fooling yourself."

I don't think he's crazy, I think he's engaging in bad faith. Difference.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It must be a sign of the apocalypse that we're arguing about Geno vs Lock, as though it really matters either way. Good grief. Can't wait until we move on and draft a qbotf...
Very well could matter. Jared Goff is about to play in a championship game.

Here's Geno's 2022 vs. Goff's 2023.

@PNW25, just to loop this into our discussion, this is WITH that reviled 2nd half of 2022 that was brought up.

Ozzy

Reaction score

View attachment 63794

@PNW25, just to loop this into our discussion, this is WITH that reviled 2nd half of 2022 that was brought up.

But Geno did it once and was worse this year. I think that’s Goff and I’m not convinced it’s Geno moving forward I guess is my point. Goff has a history of repeating that and Geno doesn’t. Now that doesn’t mean I’m right because he very well could prove me wrong and started to late this year honestly. But if I was picking one I’m picking Goff. But like I said in the beginning I think it’s probably closer than the Geno haters would like to admit.

JGreen79

Reaction score
The point isn't how Drew did vs. Geno, it's how he did compared to other backups.

I don't expect Drew to do better on everything or even most things than Geno. That's not realistic. I'm saying he did better on nothing. And that was a uniquely bad statistic. There were a dozen backups who had similar playing time to Drew. Almost all of them had at least ONE metric they could point to where they bested their starter.

Drew was one of only 3 who didn't. And he's making twice as much or more than those guys.
In terms of facing the 49ers Drew did score more TD's in one game than Geno has his entire career. And over the entire year Drew has more yards per completion than Geno

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score

Even if you're point is to compare Lock to other backups it still dosent justify why we shouldn't move on from our current Qb situation. My point is that if we want to be more than mediocre we need to Move on from mediocrity at the Qb position. Does that mean we might take a step back, yes but who knows if we let Lock start over Geno that we will infact take a step back. That's the point

If the point is to compare Lock to other backups, then it still won't justify how he was compensated. Again numbers never tell the full storyline. Games are judged by wins and loses and if he can be a 500 Qb than we are in good shape, because that's basically what we are with our current starting Qb. And my point is that we can save money because Lock is cheaper, inreturn we can add other pieces to be a more complete team.

flv2

Reaction score
Most back-up QBs are on rookie contracts or accept vet minimum just to stay in the league. Some fans were happy that the Seahawks paid a bit more to secure a vet with starting experience. Apparently one, some, or more fans were not and would have preferred a cheaper option. I'm not a fan of Lock but I think the Seahawks got their money's worth out of him. I think they would have been out of the playoff hunt going into Week 18 if they had gone with a cheaper option.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I think we're forgetting an option that hasn't been talked about at all surprisingly. He has a name, and his name is...

Holton Ahlers

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I'd rather see a qb at least keep getting better lol. Geno is not the answer at all and never will be. The way Drew drove down and scored the game winning td and also his speech after the game was over was amazing. That builds confidence, he should have been the starter the rest of the year at that point. Geno wasn't anything spectacular at all this year, why not try and fire up the team? The defense was done minus a couple players in the last few games.
Good God

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
The only stat that jumps out at me comparing 2022 vs 2023 are points.
Our defense allowed virtually the same number of points in 2022 vs 2023.
The offense had a drop-off in 2023 in points scored.
In 2023, Geno threw for 0 TDs in three games.... All of them were losses.
In two of those games, we were getting blown out. Probably wouldn't have matter.
In the Bengals game, we loss 13-17.

Seattle ranked 9th in PF for 2022 and 17th for 2023.
Lions ranked 5th in PF for 2022 and 5th for 2023.

Seattle ranked 25th in PA for 2022 and 25th for 2023.
Lions ranked 28th in PA for 2022 and 23rd for 2023.

2022 Geno - TDs = 31
2023 Total - TDs = 24 (Geno - TDs = 21) (Lock - TDs = 3)

2022 Goff - TDs = 30
2023 Goff - TDs = 32

SEATTLE 2022 - PF = 407 PA = 401 DIFF: +6
SEATTLE 2023 - PF = 364 PA = 402 DIFF: -38

DETROIT 2022 - PF = 453 PA = 427 DIFF: +26
DETROIT 2023 - PF = 461 PA = 395 DIFF: +66

Last edited:

Threedee

Reaction score

View attachment 63794

Whoever produces the most fantasy points is the one we should go with.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
DeBoer and Penix owe each other BIG time. But for all the good DeBoer did for him, he did him no favors keeping him out of the weather during practices. DeBoer stated early (and right then I knew he was just passing through) that he hated the rain. DeBoer said publicly that anytime there was as much as a few drops, he rushed the team into the Dempsey. And on game day, despite his gargantuan hands, it didn't take many raindrops (see ASU) to totally discombobulate Penix's throws. I bleed purple and I love Michael Penix (GOAT) but this is just one reason (imo) he could possibly slip to day 2.

WarHawks

Reaction score
^I'm still a bit torn on Penix, since he's been compared to a left handed version of Geno except with an injury history. Even so, he may be better than we think. Or not. At least we would be building towards the future, rather than just bemoaning the present.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Geno's 2022 performance was an anomaly.

His numbers went down in 2023 and will go down further in 2024.

He'll only be getting older and slower from this point on.