Take the win but that fake punt was horrible play calling

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1540ayh1 said:
nash72":1540ayh1 said:
It was a jerk call. There's 6 minutes left and up by 21 points and fake punts are being called? Kick the ball and show some dignity. The only thing that play accomplished was getting Ryan hurt and giving the Rams a reason to take cheap shots. Not needed.

Agreed. A fun call? Sure.
A smart one? No.

Not needed, too cute, and overall, just another sign of odd play-calling from the sideline. (confirmed via Pete himself.)

I understand people wanting to support the call because it's fun, but between fun and smart, smart will get us further in the playoffs and smart is what has so often been lacking from our offensive decisions too often of late.

It was smart because:

a) It allowed the Hawks to keep possession rather than turning it over in a punt
b) It moved the chains and acquired a first down
c) It moved the ball into Ram's territory
d) Helped the Hawks win the game

This is what good football coaches do--win games. There was nothing cute about the play, only tactically advantageous. Not sure what "cute" even means here, other than the possible "unexpected" which worked to a tee.

Ryan's injury is his own fault.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
[/quote]Ryan's injury is his own fault.[/quote]

I agree there. That fumble was pretty ugly. Hope he's ok. One of my favorite Hawks and a world-class punter who the team needs healthy come playoffs.

chawx1

Reaction score
Great call. Folks thinking we might piss off the rams by running up the score may have forgotten that the rams do not like us much anyway.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":39s3leac said:
Hasselbeck":39s3leac said:
I doubt it was a specific call. They probably had an automatic fake on if they got a certain look from the Rams punt return unit, and on this particular punt it was there.

Either way it was awesome, I was disappointed we couldn't score a TD after it just because I wanted to humiliate these guys.

Once again Pete said it was called on the sideline.

...in response to the Rams' alignment on that play? Or was it called before the Rams lined up? Was he clear on that?

White Devil

Reaction score
This place kills me sometimes. It's called football.

The history between these 2 teams over the last couple of years is exactly why you make that call. You play the game to win. You don't stop playing until the final whistle blows. That's it.

If you don't think that team would have made the exact same call if the roles were reversed, then you're fooling yourself.

You play to win the game.

Football isn't for snowflakes.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Pete just said on 710, in regard to this play.... "you're either competing or you're not" and that pretty much sums it up.

oasn - Pete's interview with Brock and Salk is pretty good. He was having some fun with the guys but also addressed his talk with Sherm.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
LolaRox":296suz5f said:
Pete just said on 710, in regard to this play.... "you're either competing or you're not" and that pretty much sums it up.

oasn - Pete's interview with Brock and Salk is pretty good. He was having some fun with the guys but also addressed his talk with Sherm.

The fact he's addressing it shows more than a few consider it a controversial call.

It's a "W", so we'll take it and move on.

sutz

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2f8amnmz said:
LolaRox":2f8amnmz said:

The fact he's addressing it shows more than a few consider it a controversial call.

"Moving on" is a talent this board seems to be lacking in, at times. ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
semiahmoo":15k4vcmm said:
LolaRox":15k4vcmm said:

Just cause it's controversial doesn't make it wrong. I can't even comprehend the thinking there.

It's pretty simple clock management. PETE thought they had a chance to convert the 4th and keep the clock moving and pretty much end the game. They took the chance. It worked.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
White Devil":1nlwnvni said:
This place kills me sometimes. It's called football.

The history between these 2 teams over the last couple of years is exactly why you make that call. You play the game to win. You don't stop playing until the final whistle blows. That's it.

If you don't think that team would have made the exact same call if the roles were reversed, then you're fooling yourself.

You play to win the game.

Yep exactly. They have killed us with fake gadget plays on special teams. Fake punts, fake punt returns, fake FGs... you name it.

Payback!

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
I think Pete is great/already a Seattle legend.

But that call? Not so much, though it certainly qualified as HIGH ENERGY and it was fun to watch.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Are we confusing the Rams' fake punt as being the horrible play call? Yes, now that skip pass was a thing of beauty!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
White Devil":ypmvn1sj said:

But kickers are snowflakes, as we found out last night with Ryan looking like a hobo running from the cops with a loaf of bread in his hand.

If we were only up 13-3? I'm down for a fake punt to try and ice the game. But 24-3 with 5 minutes? That's just a dumb unnecessary play call.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37lmw6z8 said:
White Devil":37lmw6z8 said:

But kickers are snowflakes, as we found out last night with Ryan looking like a hobo running from the cops with a loaf of bread in his hand.

If we were only up 13-3? I'm down for a fake punt to try and ice the game. But 24-3 with 5 minutes? That's just a dumb unnecessary play call.
Or in his case, the Royal Mounties.

nash72

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":1mkfqdyu said:
nash72":1mkfqdyu said:
It was a jerk call. There's 6 minutes left and up by 21 points and fake punts are being called? Kick the ball and show some dignity. The only thing that play accomplished was getting Ryan hurt and giving the Rams a reason to take cheap shots. Not needed.
Sorry but I dont agree what if Austin takes it to the house. 5 minutes left down by 14 you never know what could happen. We were not moving the ball on the ground at all. I have seen teams come back from that.

Come on. The horse was dead. No need to keep beating it. If you think the Rams could have scored 14 more points in 5 minutes when they couldnt score all game, I dont know what to say to you.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":3cidsx3v said:
thegreeninyoureye":3cidsx3v said:
nash72":3cidsx3v said:
Sorry but I dont agree what if Austin takes it to the house. 5 minutes left down by 14 you never know what could happen. We were not moving the ball on the ground at all. I have seen teams come back from that.

Come on. The horse was dead. No need to keep beating it. If you think the Rams could have scored 14 more points in 5 minutes when they couldnt score all game, I dont know what to say to you.

But if they see that big of a hole, why would they not exploit it?

It's not like the fake call was some carefully crafted play. He literally ran through a hole a 747 could've parked in.

nash72

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":7utbvtvy said:
semiahmoo":7utbvtvy said:
nash72":7utbvtvy said:

Agreed. A fun call? Sure.
A smart one? No.

Not needed, too cute, and overall, just another sign of odd play-calling from the sideline. (confirmed via Pete himself.)

I understand people wanting to support the call because it's fun, but between fun and smart, smart will get us further in the playoffs and smart is what has so often been lacking from our offensive decisions too often of late.

It was smart because:

a) It allowed the Hawks to keep possession rather than turning it over in a punt
b) It moved the chains and acquired a first down
c) It moved the ball into Ram's territory
d) Helped the Hawks win the game

This is what good football coaches do--win games. There was nothing cute about the play, only tactically advantageous. Not sure what "cute" even means here, other than the possible "unexpected" which worked to a tee.

Ryan's injury is his own fault.

It was dumb because it was done out of spite. The game was already over at that point. We were up by 21. It accomplished nothing because it didnt lead to more points and the team was in no need of the results. It did get the punter knocked out though. Great call.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Just sayin'
:{)
6ea67c11e7e18f0dec61f37ab1fb5b0a.jpg

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2ed3grl3 said:
nash72":2ed3grl3 said:
It was dumb because it was done out of spite. The game was already over at that point. We were up by 21. It accomplished nothing because it didnt lead to more points and the team was in no need of the results. It did get the punter knocked out though. Great call.

This just isn't true, and isn't looking at the big picture. It effectively iced the game. Plain and simple, Pete was going for the kill shot. Was there some wink wink nudge nudge type stuff going on, in regards to the Rams' trick plays in the past? Sure. Was that the motivating reason for the call? I think you would probably have to be crazy to think that was the sole reason Pete called that play there.

Not to mention it was wide, wide open.