Shelby Harris being released

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
otc.com has us at $20.1M in total cap space... and $9.0M in what they call Effective Cap Space, which takes into account rookie salaries for our 10 draft picks at their slotted salaries... and to account for having a minimum of 51 players under contract. We're currently at 49 according to otc.com.
Additionally, they have to save some money for in season injuries so they can pay the guys on IR and their replacements.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
This is where I am at, as well. No doubt the ever-optimistic Pete believes we can contend this year. I don't see him adding an abundance of rooks to any single position group...at least not with this draft. And I see no sense in drafting a QB. I have a sneaking suspicion that Geno, with a new found level of comfort / confidence, is going to eclipse what was a pretty solid campaign last year. Not fantastic, but solid. I'm finally ready to move forward with him as the guy. If a Jake Haener is available late, I could see us busting a move there, but I don't see us going after any of the big 3. And IF we don't trade down I think Jalen Carter will be a Hawk ...should the team's investigators feel he will be exonerated by both the law and Roger. That is also a big IF and as always, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

On that note, I've been advocating trading out of 5. But because I'm pretty bi-polar about these things, I now hope we manage to keep that 5 while adding another first. I'd be pretty ecstatic with the additions of Carter, Robinson and Branch. But again, I'm sure I'll again change my mind sometime between now and dinner. Several names could replace any of my favorite 3 and I'd still be happy and in agreement. This is just a lot of fun. Innit?
"This is just a lot of fun. Innit?"
Itis. LOL

AgentDib

Reaction score
The relatively weak FA class probably hurt us here. We save $8.9m but at the cost of $3.3m in dead cap and losing our only remaining DE who was good against the run. An extension or restructure in line with his valuation would have been better for the team. Harris is betting he'll get more on the open market and maybe he's right.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So far this is just a tentative announcement of the team releasing Harris. Likely it is a done deal but they could still be discussing contractual variations.

it is clear that the team is chopping wood though, and that big contracts will need to be justified to be kept on the books.

Latest posts