Shelby Harris being released

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I didn't see anybody say he had a great season. He was a solid contributor in my opinion.

The thing is, teams need solid contributors too. Can't really have a team full of Aaron Donald's with the salary cap.
True. Also can't have Harris' performance last year at this year's cap hit, either. Some were wanting to extend him. You don't pay out an extended contract to shift his cap hit to futures years unless you think he's had a great year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't know where people are getting that he had a great season last year.

Definitely too inconsistent and what, missed 2 games with an injury?

This all equals pretty easy to cut him to save this much cap. But again, good locker room guy and still can contribute........but at a much lower salary.

nwHawk

Reaction score
They better be eying DT's, in the draft and free agency now. Poona and Collier are also gone, so Woods is our only starting DT right now.
After the past couple of seasons the feeling I have is “blow it up” (defensive line). Look to upgrade Harris, Poona, and Collier. Hell, QJeff can go too. Upgrade that unit!

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Free agency looms. I feel like the Hawks can make a few quality moves and additions this year

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
After the past couple of seasons the feeling I have is “blow it up” (defensive line). Look to upgrade Harris, Poona, and Collier. Hell, QJeff can go too. Upgrade that unit!

This is why I think we're going hard at the front 7 in the draft, and aren't even considering drafting a QB with our first pick.

Interior O-line is an issue as well, but that can be much easier addressed mid draft and free agency than D-line and LB. I fully expect 4 of our first 6 picks to be front 7.

This team isn't going anywhere without a complete front 7 upgrade.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd bet this is the follow up to negotiations that didn't go well.

From my perspective Harris outplayed his 4.7m cap hit last season and was our best DL, so a reasonable extension would have made sense. However, maybe Harris's agent was stuck on the 12m as an anchor rather than the 5m and felt that they would rather test FA right now than sign an extension somewhere in the middle.

We'll see what kind of deal Harris gets. It's possible that both parties are correct here and Harris will be more valued elsewhere.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
This is why I think we're going hard at the front 7 in the draft, and aren't even considering drafting a QB with our first pick.

Interior O-line is an issue as well, but that can be much easier addressed mid draft and free agency than D-line and LB. I fully expect 4 of our first 6 picks to be front 7.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Anderson is the only front 7 player who can justify the 5 slot and odds are good he’s gone by that point. Carter was borderline to begin with given the lack of productivity and conditioning. He’s likely off the board with recent events. Wilson has yet to prove the testing / athleticism, but even then seems like a system mismatch.

Still plenty of quality players available in the latter first and second round to stock the shelf. Wouldn't argue against a tier 1 free agent, but it’s not really their MO. No doubt there’ll be some tier 2 & 3 FAs mixed in.

Would it even be out of character for Pete to look at a reclamation project like Clowney?

Own The West

Reaction score
As things sit now, we're going to get whomever AZ doesn't take between Will Anderson and Jalen Carter. There will be another DE/DT at either 20 or 37, then a blue chip FA with Nwosu and Woods.

Depending on whether we need a IDL or OLB type we could be looking at Javon Hargrave or a Leonard Floyd.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I liked having him this year and I’m happy he finally got to see a playoff game but his cap hit was too much for what he could deliver. This is one that stood out as a necessary business decision.

I wish him well

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan

I think you chose the right trail to follow and I kind of hope you are right. But, I can't see us going very far with a front 7 entirely made up of rooks either, so I'm interested to see what we do about providing solid/vet leadership for that group. Personally I'm good with getting as much quality youth as we possibly can but we have a lot of other places that need new blood besides the D Line. I'm good with waiting until next year to grab our new QB.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I think you chose the right trail to follow and I kind of hope you are right. But, I can't see us going very far with a front 7 entirely made up of rooks either, so I'm interested to see what we do about providing solid/vet leadership for that group. Personally I'm good with getting as much quality youth as we possibly can but we have a lot of other places that need new blood besides the D Line. I'm good with waiting until next year to grab our new QB.
This is where I am at, as well. No doubt the ever-optimistic Pete believes we can contend this year. I don't see him adding an abundance of rooks to any single position group...at least not with this draft. And I see no sense in drafting a QB. I have a sneaking suspicion that Geno, with a new found level of comfort / confidence, is going to eclipse what was a pretty solid campaign last year. Not fantastic, but solid. I'm finally ready to move forward with him as the guy. If a Jake Haener is available late, I could see us busting a move there, but I don't see us going after any of the big 3. And IF we don't trade down I think Jalen Carter will be a Hawk ...should the team's investigators feel he will be exonerated by both the law and Roger. That is also a big IF and as always, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

On that note, I've been advocating trading out of 5. But because I'm pretty bi-polar about these things, I now hope we manage to keep that 5 while adding another first. I'd be pretty ecstatic with the additions of Carter, Robinson and Branch. But again, I'm sure I'll again change my mind sometime between now and dinner. Several names could replace any of my favorite 3 and I'd still be happy and in agreement. This is just a lot of fun. Innit?

Lennie

Reaction score
As things sit now, we're going to get whomever AZ doesn't take between Will Anderson and Jalen Carter. There will be another DE/DT at either 20 or 37, then a blue chip FA with Nwosu and Woods.

Depending on whether we need a IDL or OLB type we could be looking at Javon Hargrave or a Leonard Floyd.
I would not be surprised if Carter wasn’t even on the Seahawks draft board.

Lennie

Reaction score
Too good to pass up he’s on everybody’s draft board
You know, I respectfully disagree with you. JS, and PC have placed a lot of emphasis on character. I think Carter has compiled some concerns about his character.
Could be wrong though.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Imagine this defense

FS: Quandre Diggs
SS: Jamal Adams
CB: Tariq Woolen
CB: Darius Slay
MLB: Bobby Wagner
MLB: Jordyn Brooks
EDGE: Uchenna Nwosu
EDGE: Nolan Smith
DT: Jalen Carter
DT: Al Woods

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Imagine this defense

CB: Darius Slay
MLB: Jordyn Brooks
EDGE: Nolan Smith
DT: Jalen Carter
DT: Al Woods
sick 😮

let me try

CB: Julius Brents
MLB: Jack Campbell
EDGE: Will Anderson Jr.
DE: Bryan Bresee
DE: DeForest Buckner
NT: Mazi Smith

knownone

Reaction score
Harris seemed like a good locker room guy. So hopefully, they can find a way to bring him back on a smaller deal after he tests the market.

Latest posts