CB: Julius Brents
MLB: Bobby Wagner
MLB: Jack Campbell
EDGE: Uchenna Nwosu
EDGE: Will Anderson Jr.
DE: Bryan Bresee
DE: DeForest Buckner
NT: Mazi Smith
What are you giving Indy for Buckner that you’re still able to draft Anderson, Bresee, Mazi, Campbell, and Brents?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I sure hope they bring back Bobby for a year-to-year deal if he's open to it.

I re-watched week 17 game of the 2013 Hawks season vs Rams, and watching that (arguabley) GOAT defense work together like a well-oiled machine was a thing of beauty. Not to mention watching prime Beastmode get his yards against a tough Rams D. However, a couple things that stood out were the excellent performance of the "role players" on that D, specifically, DTs Brandon Mebane and Clinton McDonald, and CB Byron Maxwell. Especially Mebane.

I don't know if Mebane ever made a Pro Bowl; IIRC, I think he was overlooked every year. But wow, he was a force in the middle when healthy and a key part of that LOB defense. Plus, we had a DT rotation, with Clinton McDonald (and others). Younger and quicker, DTs that don't get pushed aside, via draft and free agency. Hope to see it happen!

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I suspect there will be a few more DL cuts. As of right now with Geno's cap hit and Harris being cut, they have $6m in cap space, after accounting for rookie salaries and in season IR costs. Not a whole lot they can do with that and it would be nice to sign a cheap veteran or three for the defense.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I suspect there will be a few more DL cuts. As of right now with Geno's cap hit and Harris being cut, they have $6m in cap space, after accounting for rookie salaries and in season IR costs. Not a whole lot they can do with that and it would be nice to sign a cheap veteran or three for the defense.

I find it funny that you keep talking about "Geno's cap hit" as if the $10.1M cap hit in the first year of Smith's contract, for a 2022 Pro Bowl starting QB in 2023, were somehow harming the Seahawks.

Well, I guess the username checks out. 🤷‍♂️

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I find it funny that you keep talking about "Geno's cap hit" as if the $10.1M cap hit in the first year of Smith's contract, for a 2022 Pro Bowl starting QB in 2023, were somehow harming the Seahawks.

Well, I guess the username checks out. 🤷‍♂️
Geno has a phenomenal team friendly contract with a great cap number this year. My point is that there is no money for free agents and the main place to get some additional cap space is cutting DL.

Not sure what my username has to do with anything. I was happy Russ helped win a SB 10 years ago and I was happy when we traded him last year. My complaints about Geno are purely about where the team stands now. Geno is an incredible story and signed one of the most team friendly contracts outside of anyone not named Brady. I just think the team is a draft or two away from really being a threat in the NFC. If Geno was 30 I would've been rooting for a 5 year extension.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Harris seemed like a good locker room guy. So hopefully, they can find a way to bring him back on a smaller deal after he tests the market.
Yeah I haven’t heard anything from the organization yet maybe they’re trying to work him a deal for cheaper

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I sure hope they bring back Bobby for a year-to-year deal if he's open to it.

I re-watched week 17 game of the 2013 Hawks season vs Rams, and watching that (arguabley) GOAT defense work together like a well-oiled machine was a thing of beauty. Not to mention watching prime Beastmode get his yards against a tough Rams D. However, a couple things that stood out were the excellent performance of the "role players" on that D, specifically, DTs Brandon Mebane and Clinton McDonald, and CB Byron Maxwell. Especially Mebane.

I don't know if Mebane ever made a Pro Bowl; IIRC, I think he was overlooked every year. But wow, he was a force in the middle when healthy and a key part of that LOB defense. Plus, we had a DT rotation, with Clinton McDonald (and others). Younger and quicker, DTs that don't get pushed aside, via draft and free agency. Hope to see it happen!

Mebane was a stud for the Hawks, always did his job and swallowed up many double teams. Very underrated. A very well rounded DT, good against the pass and the run.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
According to Spotrac, the Seahawks have $21M in cap space after accounting for Geno's new contract, rookie salaries, etc. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/

WarHawks

Reaction score
This is why I think we're going hard at the front 7 in the draft, and aren't even considering drafting a QB with our first pick.

Interior O-line is an issue as well, but that can be much easier addressed mid draft and free agency than D-line and LB. I fully expect 4 of our first 6 picks to be front 7.

This team isn't going anywhere without a complete front 7 upgrade.
It's not an either/or, zero sum game. We have the draft capital and cap space to do both.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
You would prefer Bresee over Kancey if they both available at #20?
well, i don't think kancey makes it to #20. and i would have no problem drafting kancey at #20 if he's still there. he's the ultimate disruptor. only issue is his small arms. i grade kancey higher than bresee, but as kancey is an undersized 3T, bresee might actually make as much sense for the seahawks as a DE that can kick inside on passing downs

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Pop in Gervon Dexter at #83, and that’s a young and talented unit.
yeah, gervon could be that guy. pretty good athleticism for a guy that's 6-6 310lbs. my issues with him are the short"ish" arms, and the fact he's a project. deforest buckner is a probowl level DT/DE ready to go and a team leader. we know what we would be getting with him.

toffee

Reaction score
well, i don't think kancey makes it to #20. and i would have no problem drafting kancey at #20 if he's still there. he's the ultimate disruptor. i grade kancey higher, but as kancey is an undersized 3T, bresee might actually make as much sense for the seahawks as a DE that can kick inside on passing downs
My thought exactly!! Lately, I am in on the Kancey-Mazi tackles thought, sounded pretty good to me for 4-3 tackles. Although the idea of starting two rookie tackles sounded risky, but we might just get lucky again after the two OTs. If we lucky into Anderson at #5, which is not impossible, I would be so looking forward to Anderson-Kancey-Mazi-XXX DL.

nwHawk

Reaction score
yeah, gervon could be that guy. pretty good athleticism for a guy that's 6-6 310lbs. my issues with him are the short"ish" arms, and the fact he's a project. deforest buckner is a probowl level DT/DE ready to go and a team leader. we know what we would be getting with him.
Agreed. Would love it if his arm length was 34+, but he should be available later in the draft and given the upside vs slot, the risk is worth a look. Buckner would be great, but $$ and compensation might make it a stretch.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
According to Spotrac, the Seahawks have $21M in cap space after accounting for Geno's new contract, rookie salaries, etc. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/
otc.com has us at $20.1M in total cap space... and $9.0M in what they call Effective Cap Space, which takes into account rookie salaries for our 10 draft picks at their slotted salaries... and to account for having a minimum of 51 players under contract. We're currently at 49 according to otc.com.

CPHawk

Reaction score
well, i don't think kancey makes it to #20. and i would have no problem drafting kancey at #20 if he's still there. he's the ultimate disruptor. only issue is his small arms. i grade kancey higher than bresee, but as kancey is an undersized 3T, bresee might actually make as much sense for the seahawks as a DE that can kick inside on passing downs
Lots of recent mocks have him late first. So it’s entirely possible he is available at 20.

McShay has him going 30 to Philly as of today.

Last edited: