Shaggy Deserves Kudos

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So why did you or the other owners stop going with the articles? Hoping to start that back up some time.

It was a combination of several factors. Ultimately we decided to create a premium membership paradigm which didn't take off (at the time I was pretty much paying the overhead myself out of pocket before donations took ahold) and my most talented writers kind of went their separate ways. My Editor in Chief (Doug Farrar who has done quite well for himself post .NET) and I had a falling out (we have since reconciled) and left, so I decided just to simplify things and make .NET a forum community only.

It was the wild wild west back then. Time's have indeed changed. The landscape is markedly different than it once was in those earlier years of the Web. Perhaps a blog or articles ala Fieldgulls wouldn't be a bad offset to the forum community.

Rainger

Reaction score
It was a combination of several factors. Ultimately we decided to create a premium membership paradigm which didn't take off (at the time I was pretty much paying the overhead myself out of pocket before donations took ahold) and my most talented writers kind of went their separate ways. My Editor in Chief (Doug Farrar who has done quite well for himself post .NET) and I had a falling out (we have since reconciled) and left, so I decided just to simplify things and make .NET a forum community only.

It was the wild wild west back then. Time's have indeed changed. The landscape is markedly different than it once was in those earlier years of the Web. Perhaps a blog or articles ala Fieldgulls wouldn't be a bad offset to the forum community.
Yup I remember. Joined in 2011 as Rainger and think I even donated at the time. Glad you have always hung in with .NET through all the times.

NoChops

Reaction score
Funny, I remember Doug more for his conversations about KISS than about his football writings, but whatever. And big ups to you Shaggy, this place became unbearable with all the advertisements and flashing backgrounds and such. Now its lean, mean and running clean!

notyou

Reaction score
Funny, I remember Doug more for his conversations about KISS than about his football writings, but whatever. And big ups to you Shaggy, this place became unbearable with all the advertisements and flashing backgrounds and such. Now its lean, mean and running clean!
Should have gotten an ad blocker. I saw ads once, blocked them and never saw them again. I'll never turn off my ad blocker. If a site says to turn off ad blocker to view the site, I just leave and go to another site.
The site now is good. A couple more tweaks and it'll be perfect.

NoChops

Reaction score
Should have gotten an ad blocker. I saw ads once, blocked them and never saw them again. I'll never turn off my ad blocker. If a site says to turn off ad blocker to view the site, I just leave and go to another site.
The site now is good. A couple more tweaks and it'll be perfect.
just lazy I guess

Omahawk

Reaction score
I too have noticed the efforts and improvements made to this site.

Big kudos.

Untitled 1

Last edited:

acer1240

Reaction score
It would be really neat if you had a casting call of sorts for writers Shaggy. Not sure if they are interested, but pehawk and Aros delivered some great content back in the day. I even submitted a few. The articles were published in such a way that there was no comment option. It was nice to write a piece without getting ripped to shreds.

Are you going to have a donation drive? I'll kick in as I always have.

RockHawk

Reaction score
And hey to all my old friends around here. Sorry I haven't logged in for a couple years, but.. well.. you probably understand.

@Aros, @sutz, Acer, @kidhawk... great to see you guys again. Hope you don't hold the whole "Owner for 9 years then disappears completely" thing against me! Burn out. Todd understands .

Last edited:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
And hey to all my old friends around here. Sorry I haven't logged in for a couple years, but.. well.. you probably understand.

Aros, Sutz, Acer, KidHawk... great to see you guys again. Hope you don't hold the whole "Owner for 9 years then disappears completely" thing against me! Burn out. Todd understands .
Hey man...I do understand. I moderated another site for a while....I DO UNDERSTAND. Be happy....

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score

Aros, Sutz, Acer, KidHawk... great to see you guys again. Hope you don't hold the whole "Owner for 9 years then disappears completely" thing against me! Burn out. Todd understands .

So @Aros sold the site to you?

RockHawk

Reaction score
So @Aros sold the site to you?
Correct. Owned it from around 2010 until selling it to the previous owner you purchased it from. I haven't logged in or even visited here for well over 2 years, but heard from a .NET friend that things were better and I should introduce myself. I miss the old girl, for sure. Like Aros, I'm more then happy to help in whatever ways I can. PM me for my contact details.

It was certainly something taking Todd's baby and watching it grow into the behemoth it became during the SB years.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Mark, good to see you! You didn’t miss much. The site was unbearable in a number of ways.
Back at you, my friend. Yeah, I'm sorry things went so poorly. Given I was soft-banned by previous ownership, I missed a lot of the stuff you put up with. My apologies for that. Hope you and yours are well!

sutz

Reaction score
Welcome back! No harm, no foul.

Friendship Hug GIF

acer1240

Reaction score
Hell yeah! Mark is back and he kept his kickass avitar. Thank you for all you did for this site. As I've had issues with almost everyone it's weird to think I cannot say a bad word about you.

Welcome back

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
If you 2 care to share @Aros and @RockHawk. why did you sell the site at the time? If you don't want to share the reason, I understand.