Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Chapow

Reaction score
Smurf":24jjz3dp said:
Sgt. Largent":24jjz3dp said:
Smurf":24jjz3dp said:
Tonight's the night lads. Lets see if we can make history.

Hell yeah, I'm excited.

Reminder: The game is on FS2, so make sure you have a way to actually watch the game before 7pm rolls around.

Also, I can't read. The game is TOMORROW night. ....damn leap year...

Just to clarify, the game is on at 5pm (Pacific time zone) tomorrow, March 2nd.

Not trying to be a dick, it's just you had both the wrong day and time. I see you corrected the day, but not the time. If you're a Sounders fan and looking forward to this game, it would be awfully disappointing to tune in at 7pm.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I am a little nervous for the match, after the beating the Galaxy took last night.

Very hard to win in Mexico, so I hope we don't get embarrassed. It'll be interesting to see how Sigi plays this match, go for broke being aggressive trying to get that away goal..............or sit back and play more of a counter game.

I can see us playing well to a 1-1 draw, but I can also see us being aggressive and the back line torched again and losing 4-1.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Deja vu. Seattle scores late in the 1st half, then immediately give up the equalizer. Our defense is horrible.

Edit: and then give up another goal before halftime.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Brad Evans is a liability at center back. Arguably at faulty for both goals. Need Torres back asap or sign Chen.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle's going to have to press now for second goal, which is going to lead to them getting carved up on the counter. I'm thinking it will end 4-1.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I hope the loss of Oba doesn't bite us in the ass. We looked disjointed up front today and I worry if Dempsey gets hurt. I think Morris is a good player but will take time and goals to get to Oba's quality.

I know it's early but from these games and last season i've not been impressed with Kovar or Darwin Jones.

Hope the defense do better in MLS. Frei looked much better today but Marshall and Evans seemed off.

knownone

Reaction score
Brad Evans and Erik Friberg are two above average players in MLS. In champions league they are liabilities.

It's still early, but the calm composed Kovar I saw in preseason appears to be a mirage, dude looked like his frantic self the last two games.

Morris looks lost out wide. This is a big problem because Valdez appears to have the potential to be a dominant #9 in MLS...

This team needs a creative force in the midfield.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":q9xkjbkd said:
Brad Evans and Erik Friberg are two above average players in MLS. In champions league they are liabilities.

It's still early, but the calm composed Kovar I saw in preseason appears to be a mirage, dude looked like his frantic self the last two games.

Morris looks lost out wide. This is a big problem because Valdez appears to have the potential to be a dominant #9 in MLS...

This team needs a creative force in the midfield.

They should be playing a 4diamond2 with Dempsey underneath Morris and the other striker. but that's just me.... (again, for like the 20th time since they picked up Morris).

Disappointing. Get the gifted goal and the lead so desperately needed... and literally concede seconds later... again. Preseason, midseason, postseason... that's poor.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3pbrc69m said:
Disappointing. Get the gifted goal and the lead so desperately needed... and literally concede seconds later... again. Preseason, midseason, postseason... that's poor.
This. If this team could've just managed to play defense for the final five minutes of the first half in both games they would've advanced. But they couldn't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":1ued6m5k said:
Pretty much what I expected....

Yep, as I said on the previous page this match had the potential to get ugly...........and it did.

Not sure why Sigi switched Dempsey and Valdez, Dempsey did a fantastic job in the first match I thought of moving around getting everyone involved.

Valdez is way too old and slow to play a wide mid having to run for 90 minutes, plus his offensive touches were awful. Maybe Clint didn't want to run like that again? idk, but it sure as hell didn't work.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if Club America is that good or if the Sounders are that horrible. Either way, that was a horrible effort and result by the rave green. Hopefully they got that out of their system and are ready for the MLS season opener this weekend.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Positives: Ivanschitz has been decent, Left back looks okay, Ozzy and Dempsey have started the season well and Anderson looked like he has potential when he came on.

Areas of concern:

Evans at CB- Still not convinced, the sooner Torres is back the better

Frei- Iffy today and the first CCL game but I think he turns it around.

Valdez- From the start of this season and parts of last season i'm wondering if he is worth the DP tag. He has quality but not sure if he is DP quality rather than TAM and can only last 60 minutes. I feel like he loses possession at ton.

Roldan- Does he provide anything other than energy? I've not been impressed so far, looks like a poorer Andy Rose (at least Rose got the odd goal)

I think it was a red card. Fisher was playing well up till that point. It annoys me though as not all refs call it consistently and in another game might have only been a free kick or yellow. We were playing well till that point.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
From a Sporting standpoint they will be well pleased with the three points, but probably fairly disappointed they didnt do more with the man advantage. The goal wasn't coming, and Frei just misplayed a rather tame shot.

Defense held well for the most part. They are an experienced group outside Dia and did enough prior to the red card. The midfield 3 was a bit over run at times. Sporting wants to control pace and possession with a mixed press but weren't winning the ball. The front line wasn't able to help getting forward much as they were constantly retreating to help cover the wings.

With the man advantage they were able to possess more, but lacked bite in their attack. to be honest, its very similar to their developmental system. They might be playing for 1-0 wins quite a bit.. which is somewhat unfortunate given the quality of players in the squad they have.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2bqsqpin said:
Valdez- From the start of this season and parts of last season i'm wondering if he is worth the DP tag. He has quality but not sure if he is DP quality rather than TAM and can only last 60 minutes. I feel like he loses possession at ton..

This.

Maybe I'm missing something, but having an aging oft injured target hold up forward as the center of your offensive attack is confusing to me.........especially coming off two years of amazing creative and dynamic success with how Oba and Clint played off each other.

Now we have to count on Clint to incorporate a rookie and an old target forward to score goals?

idk, seems like a bigtime regressive strategy to let Oba go for not much, and keep Valdez. Why btw his asset is suppose to be his passing touch and vision, and I've seen a LOT of bad passes out of him so far this year. I expect better quality if we're going to be counting on Valdez to create for Clint and Morris.