Seahawks vs. Buccaneers in Munich, Germany!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Happy for European fans and I used to live in Budapest. But sucks for me now as Tampa is so close being in Orlando

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Too bad that the game is scheduled for mid-November.

Had it been scheduled for Sunday, October 2nd, it would have been a perfect opportunity for me to fly over for the game and also celebrate what could have been a 52-year reunion with Octoberfest.

In the fall of 1970, I was a 21-year-old SP4 in the Army stationed in Neckarsulm, West Germany (about 90 km north of Stuttgart). My buddies and I drove down to Munich for Octoberfest that year and had an absolute blast. It was a helluva party weekend.

Great memories for a 73-year-old dinosaur. lol

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've already bought my plane tickets. I went to the London game a few years back and it was awesome. As far as the complaints about it interrupting our sleep schedules, losing home games, et al, you might as well get used to it, the international series is here to stay and likely to be expanded.

In 2021, the league established a process to make it more fair as some teams, including the Seahawks, have yet to donate a home game to the cause while others, specifically the Jags, have been losing a home game each season for years:

Starting in 2022, there will be at least four games played internationally every season. Over the first eight years of that agreement, the league will select four clubs from the conference that would host nine regular season home games to be designated to play internationally. That will be the NFC in 2022, AFC in 2023 and so on. This means each NFL team will take a turn to host an international contest once every eight seasons.

The new rotational formula will see four of the 16 new AFC-NFC matchups moved overseas to venues in the United Kingdom, Mexico and potentially further afield with Germany reportedly being considered, according to Peter King, of NBC Sports. Canada has also been reported as a potential site for future international games.
Teams may still protect certain games on their schedule from being played internationally. And teams will not be required to play more than one international game in any season.

While clubs will not be mandated to play more than one international game per year, they may still volunteer themselves for multiple international contests. This is what the Jacksonville Jaguars have been doing in London with games played every year at Wembley Stadium from 2013.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are 16 'extra' games per season via the 17 game schedule. What I would like to see happen is for the league to mandate that the odd game, always an AFC vs. NFC matchup, that are not designated for the international series be played at an out of market venue here in the US and Canada. For example, cities like Boise, Salt Lake, Birmingham, Honolulu, Vancouver BC, et al, would be given a chance to host a game. Playing at a neutral site would even out the current inequity where one team has more home games than another while giving those fans in other cities an opportunity to see an NFL game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Come on man.
Its only one game for you guys.
Im a german guy and i must watch the seahawks games every sunday to monday at 01/02:30 am and can directly go to work, haha.
Im so pumped for this game.
Seahawks fan for over 10 years and living 30 minutes away from the Stadium.

Like I said, I don't mind having the occasional international game, and I'm happy you get to see a game locally. I hope you get to enjoy it fully.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's some bull$#!+, but it's less bull$#!+ than it could have been.

The game was s'posed to be played in Tampa, so at least the Seahawks don't lose a home game. But travel and rest have been shown to be really important factors in the NFL, and the Seahawks already out-travel every other team every year. Adding thousands more miles to the Seahawks' already-long in-season travel is some bull$#!+.
Here's something to consider. Had this game been played in Tampa, we would have had a 5.5 hour flight and 3 time zone changes. The Bucs would had stayed at home, sleeping in their own beds with no changes to their biological clocks, and would have played in front of their home crowd on a familiar field.

Now that it's being held in Germany, we have an 11 hour flight while the Bucs have a 10.5 hour flight, as our geography of being so much further north equalizes the distance compared to Florida's southern location. The Bucs will have to go through the same travel routine that we will. In addition, the Hawks are one of the most popular NFL teams in Germany and our fan base travels much better than the Bucs, meaning that the crowd is going to be pro Seahawks.

If anybody has a reason to be pissed off, it's the Bucs fans. Seahawk fans should be doing backflips and cartwheels.

GemCity

Reaction score
Bucs? This may be a quick ausfahrt.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not convinced a flight to Munich is that much worse for the team than a flight to Tampa. The team will be on a charter plane and able to get a nights sleep on the flight.
I do think however when West Coast teams play in Europe the game should be an evening kickoff (about 9am pacific time) like the Raiders game was. Good for the fans watching back home and can reduce jetlag for the team.
Yeah, they'll be flying in style, that's for sure.

Part of the league's motivation for playing games in Europe is that it gives them a 4th time slot on Sunday. Since it will be 9:30am on the east coast, it's likely that the game would attract more viewers as the lone game in the 6:30am PT time slot than it would competing with 5 or so other games at 10am PT.

As in everything with the NFL, it's all about money.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
Having NFL games in Germany is long over-due. It's a huge financial opportunity for the NFL.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'll tape it, and possibly watch it, but I'm SAF not getting up at 2am to watch a game -

Honestly, the Hawks are probably gonna fight it out on Red Zone with me this year. It'll still catch the highlights, and I won't have to actually watch .500 or sub-.500 ball ;)

This whole international thing is just goofy to me. I get that the UK people have become accustomed to it - but meh.

toffee

Reaction score
Too bad that the game is scheduled for mid-November.

Had it been scheduled for Sunday, October 2nd, it would have been a perfect opportunity for me to fly over for the game and also celebrate what could have been a 52-year reunion with Octoberfest.

In the fall of 1970, I was a 21-year-old SP4 in the Army stationed in Neckarsulm, West Germany (about 90 km north of Stuttgart). My buddies and I drove down to Munich for Octoberfest that year and had an absolute blast. It was a helluva party weekend.

Great memories for a 73-year-old dinosaur. lol
You and me both, I went to Okertoberfest in 2008, with an extremely young and beautiful lady, well my daughter. I long to go back again, and enjoy it one more time, without her. She is a mid 30s career woman now, too busy with her own career and family to go and get drunk with ole man.

toffee

Reaction score
Sucks that of all of the NFC south we drew the bucs
For 2022, one would be happy if we win against the Bronco, bucs, Ramsx2, 9ersx2. Even if our season goes 6-11, if we can have those six games, I am good.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
All 4 of them!!!
Rumor is 700k German fans are wanting to get tix to the game.
Got my tix today as I applied for them a while back and got an email yesterday stating as an STHr, I could have a chance to purchase them. Done deal. Tix weren’t expensive compared to a Seattle game. About $140 total for 2 seats, 200 level, end zone, row 2, aisle.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Rumor is 700k German fans are wanting to get tix to the game.
Got my tix today as I applied for them a while back and got an email yesterday stating as an STHr, I could have a chance to purchase them. Done deal. Tix weren’t expensive compared to a Seattle game. About $140 total for 2 seats, 200 level, end zone, row 2, aisle.
Yeah, I've heard that there is a lot of interest in this game over there. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a season ticket holder, so I have to get up this Tuesday at 1am PST to attempt to buy 6 tickets when they go on sale to the general public.