Saints fan here :) We have a looong wait so...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Looking over everything at Football Outsiders, the following statistical trends stand out to me:

DEFENSE:
The Saints are ranked 10th defensively. So they are a very balanced team, like the Hawks. However, their defense is 5th against the pass, 29th against the run. Seattle is a run first team, so if the Saints can defy the odds and stop our running game, they will be tough to beat. It isn't likely though and I'd expect Lynch to have a very big day. What NO is really good at is rushing the passer. That's got to be a concern to any Hawk fan as we've only just gotten our oline back and let's face it, they weren't all lights out before they got injured. Wilson's going to have another tough day. But at the same time, NO's is starting a rookie CB and we've got Baldwin, Tate and Harvin, so I expect the rookie to get burnt at least once.

This looks like a great night for Lynch to carry the team.

OFFENSE:
The Saints are ranked 3rd offensively. This is the best offense we've faced. 3rd in passing, 16th in rushing. They don't let Brees get sacked either, ranking 7th in that stat. So expect Drew to have a good day passing on us. Over the middle. For dink and dunks and 3rd down conversions. I'd expect the Saints to put up decent yardage against us...until they reach the red zone. Then the LOB will shut them down. NO ranks a surprising 20th place in Red Zone TD's this season.

On the road, they rank dead last in the Red Zone.

Special teams is our advantage, but FO puts the Saints at 22nd while PFF puts them at 5th. Regardless, both sides put Seattle at 1st. The field position battle should be ours.

This is a great Saints team and this will be a great game, but I don't see the Saints scoring more than 2 TDs and I think it will likely be only one. Hawks 30 Saints 16.

Mick063

Reaction score
Get ready for reality Saints fans.

You will get a few first downs from penalty. It comes with the physical nature of the defense. Saints will likely get a few good plays by isolating a RB on our linebackers. Other than that? Zilch. Nada. Saints fans will discover how Carroll loves team speed on defense. Gaps will close fast. Passing windows will be small. Timing will be rushed.

Lynch is going to stomp on a few chests on his way to the goal line.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Jabari Greer being out is going to haunt you guys the rest of the season. A few solid runs by the beast and I feel it will soften up your Cb's (especially the replacements) to become extremely vulnerable to Russell's play action.

The thing I keep thinking about is when Dallas came into the Clink last year when Ryan was their DC, and he got out schemed by pete and the fellas.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
What's stopping us from putting Sherman on Graham? It worked against Boldin and for New England with Talib quite well if you ask me.

Laloosh

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2abwvro1 said:
What's stopping us from putting Sherman on Graham? It worked against Boldin and for New England with Talib quite well if you ask me.

I think NY and NE took that approach but I'd imagine it could depend where he lines up. Maybe Sherm gets him when he lines up wide like a receiver and when he's up on the LoS Kam and a backer bracket him. They won't ignore the guy, that's for sure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2nf81674 said:
KCHawkGirl":2nf81674 said:

I think NY and NE took that approach but I'd imagine it could depend where he lines up. Maybe Sherm gets him when he lines up wide like a receiver and when he's up on the LoS Kam and a backer bracket him. They won't ignore the guy, that's for sure.
That makes sense but I saw that that they seem to treat him as a wide receiver far more than a tight end so it may not be an issue.

Laloosh

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":20r5byqr said:
E.C. Laloosh":20r5byqr said:
KCHawkGirl":20r5byqr said:

That makes sense but I saw that that they seem to treat him as a wide receiver far more than a tight end so it may not be an issue.

I haven't watched all of their games yet (will before we play them). I'd be able to speak to that more clearly then.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":xxi6939u said:
Jabari Greer being out is going to haunt you guys the rest of the season. A few solid runs by the beast and I feel it will soften up your Cb's (especially the replacements) to become extremely vulnerable to Russell's play action.

The thing I keep thinking about is when Dallas came into the Clink last year when Ryan was their DC, and he got out schemed by pete and the fellas.

I'm not so sure about Greer being a big loss. He's not so hard to replace and it seems their rook is doing OK. Our priorties should be establishing the run and at least making Brees move off his spot with some regularity. Our passing game will open up just fine if we can loosen them up a bit. Very important to get on the board early because it's a bad situation playing catchup with that team, even though the Hawks are really good at it.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
I'd say one concern I have lengai for my Hawks has to do with the very words in the title of your OP, "we have a long wait".
I don't like a bye at this juncture.

Other than that, I still feel the Hawks and stadium take over early and win.

AgentDib

Reaction score
saints2k8":33lw625z said:
He'll be lucky to get a return w/ the way Morstead kicks off. all it takes is one, though
Perhaps, but remember how different conditions will be in CenturyLink to what you see in your dome.

During the Seahawks-Jags game, Haushka (our place kicker) was sending kickoffs 10 yards out of the back of the endzone when kicking south. His kicks were ending up on the 5 yard line when kicking north, however, due to wind that was gusting through the stadium.

Furthermore, cold temperatures also slightly reduce the distance of both kickoffs and punts. Low temperatures reduce the compression of the football which leads to lower elasticity of the gas, which results in less efficient energy transfer from the kicker to the ball. Remember those 80's era kickers who took the footballs into the sauna before games? They were trying to get additional distance on their kicks.

pmedic920

Reaction score
After reading the above I figure you've gotten your questions answered. I will add that we heard the chants after the falcons game.
There is and old saying " be careful what you wish for".......
Any way thanks for the respectful and reasonable post.
GoHawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts