Poll: Can Geno Take Us All The Way

Do you believe Geno Smith can take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl and win?

• Yes

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 41.6%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 22 14.8%

• Total voters

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I like Geno. But I've seen him throw way too many int's in crucial situations or when battling from behind for my liking. Can he? Sure. I suppose. But without a terrific supporting cast, namely a defense, it may be a lot to ask.
That "Supporting Cast" HAS TO include much better play @ RG, Center, & a FOR REAL #3 WR, oh and, the Run Game needs to be a LOT MORE CONSISTENT, so Geno doesn't feel the need to take those unnecessary chances.
It's a no brainer that the Defense will need to make some massive changes with the Front-Line Defense...LINE-BACKERS are supposed to pick up the players who seem to be CONSTANTLY slipping by the Front-Line of our front 3, or 4, not play 'Chase em Down' for a full hour, THAT IS NOT on Geno.

BASF

Reaction score
He could take this years Bengals, Bills, Chiefs, Cowboys, Eagles and Niners to the super bowl and probably win.

The question is can Geno take the Seahawks in 2024 to the Super Bowl, because this team is two years away from having a super bowl worthy roster unless we get seriously seriously lucky with the draft and free agency in 2023. I believe he can if he can duplicate his play this season in 2024, but I put not sure, since there are so many variables.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Mahomes can carry his 16th ranked defense to the SB. Geno, probably not. We need to be top 10, within the next year or two.
I havent looked it up but I'm guessing KC has a top ten Offense. I'm not arguing agsint having a top ten D, just noting that being in the top ten on either side of the ball can get you there. If we get the Oline, I think we could have a top ten Offense with Geno.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mahomes can carry this 16th ranked defense to the SB. Geno, probably not. We need to be top 10, within the next year or two.
I don't care how ya sugarcoat it, Mahomes would Not be able to get much more out of a craptastic/faltering Defense, and a stuttering Run Game like Geno had, and on top of that, a Center & RG that were consistent turnstiles.
Over 4,200 yards passing, and one of the League leaders in Pass Completion % says that Geno IS a "Top Ten" Quarterback.
Geno is not the end-all-be-all Quarterback, but he IS a damned good Quarterback that NEEDS his "Supporting Cast" UPGRADDED to be in that next level.
Some of y'all think that the Seahawks can easily replace Geno with a take a BIG CHANCE Drafted Quarterback, NOT realistic, Some hits, but mostly MISSES.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I don't care how ya sugarcoat it, Mahomes would Not be able to get much more out of a craptastic/faltering Defense, and a stuttering Run Game like Geno had, and on top of that, a Center & RG that were consistent turnstiles.
Over 4,200 yards passing, and one of the League leaders in Pass Completion % says that Geno IS a "Top Ten" Quarterback.
Geno is not the end-all-be-all Quarterback, but he IS a damned good Quarterback that NEEDS his "Supporting Cast" UPGRADDED to be in that next level.
Some of y'all think that the Seahawks can easily replace Geno with a take a BIG CHANCE Drafted Quarterback, NOT realistic, Some hits, but mostly MISSES.
Yea Mahomes wouldn't be able to carry OUR defense to the SB. But he is elite enough to carry HIS defense.

Point is, Geno needs a top 10 defense. He cannot carry a middling or bottom 10 defense to a SB.

I'm cool with keeping Geno if the price is right. Felt like he regressed a bit towards the end, but overall he proved more than serviceable.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting, the poll is currently nearly dead even.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Interesting how the "Do you want Geno next year?" poll is 66%, while the "Can Geno take us all the way?" is only 44%

Mick063

Reaction score
The proper question for any given player is if he is providing "on the field" value relative to the sum of two parts: (the size of his contract) + (the draft capital expended to acquire him). If the answer to that question is yes for the majority of the players on your roster, then any given team under those circumstances can legitimately make a run. If the answer is yes for a single player, then that player warrants a roster spot.

Hence, Geno warrants a roster spot and "going all the way" is irrelevant with respect to his relative value. The "team" is not, nor will it ever be a single player. Even if that player is a quarterback.

A better question would be if Jamaal Adams can live up to his contract. That has much more relevance with respect to "going all the way". Another way to put is "Which players made the pro bowl and don't cost a fortune?" and conversely, "Which players cost a fortune and didn't make the Pro Bowl?" Hint: Rookie deals are your best chance at the former, but not necessarily the ONLY means. That is what really determines "going all the way".

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson... Is Geno better than those 3 Super-Bowl Winning QBs? I'd say YES. So, obviously, if the Seahawks assemble a dominant defense reminiscent of, on par with, the 2000 Ravens, 1990 Giants, or 2002 Buccaneers, then we have to say, clearly YES, Geno can take us to a Lombardi with the right pieces around him.

BASF

Reaction score
Interesting how the "Do you want Geno next year?" poll is 66%, while the "Can Geno take us all the way?" is only 44%
That is actually simple. Most intelligent people know the Seahawks roster will not be super bowl worthy next season regardless of who we have at QB. Even if we draft as well this year as last, those players won't be compete for a super bowl ready until year two.

Despite what posters believed about Geno and never let go of as he has progressed.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
That is actually simple. Most intelligent people know the Seahawks roster will not be super bowl worthy next season regardless of who we have at QB. Even if we draft as well this year as last, those players won't be compete for a super bowl ready until year two.

Despite what posters believed about Geno and never let go of as he has progressed.
It would be possible if we stuck generational gold at 1.5 ie game wrecking DL

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I voted NO due to the way the poll question was presented. I do not believe Geno is good enough to carry a team with holes to a Super Bowl win. I have always supported Geno as our backup QB and think he did a bangup job this year. But we lost in the first round of playoffs because there is currently an insufficient cast of supporting players to carry him to big wins.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Geno is fine. The rest of the team is a shell of itself. He has no defense (2-3 CBs), 2/5 of an offensive like, 2 WR, 1 RB, and 1-2 TE.

Help the guy out a little, haha.