Pete Carroll Philosophy

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
That was six years ago. Any other hand picked stats you want to throw out there?
Why does that six years matter to you? Pete has been coaching football for a long time. There's a lot of great history to review and a lot of great recent success to review as well. To formulate a proper well researched opinion, there's a good set of data to work through to reach a conclusion. This poster was nicely assisting you in doing so.

The other option, is to completely make stuff up based on your own bias and myopic view. That's the path you take.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Individual play has nothing to do with it huh? As for Geno, Pete and Waldron did well with the system they are running. The issue is when its not working. Thats where Geno fails. He's incapable of doing anymore when asked or needed.
No one said individuals aren't involved. This is again the problem you have when attempting to discuss things with others. You make things up. You insert completely unrelated and unnecessary data points into the discussion. You have to avoid direct discussion because you have no idea what you're talking about.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yes. The Steelers sucked six years ago.

Ahhhh.......Babbling nonsense. Now we are getting somewhere. Project much?

Lol. Again, why are you hung up on the Steelers? Why bring them up at all?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Why does that six years matter to you? Pete has been coaching football for a long time. There's a lot of great history to review and a lot of great recent success to review as well. To formulate a proper well researched opinion, there's a good set of data to work through to reach a conclusion. This poster was nicely assisting you in doing so.

The other option, is to completely make stuff up based on your own bias and myopic view. That's the path you take.

Because i'm not living and hanging onto the past like so many do. If we want to do that then you better start looking at that post season record for the past 7 or so years.

Nostalgia only goes so far.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No one said individuals aren't involved. This is again the problem you have when attempting to discuss things with others. You make things up. You insert completely unrelated and unnecessary data points into the discussion. You have to avoid direct discussion because you have no idea what you're talking about.

How is Geno Smiths ability unrelated? He has been shown to turn the ball over in vital moments time and time again. He also has like one come from behind win for Seattle and thats it. So what direct discussion do you want to talk about.

Mick063

Reaction score
Lol. Again, why are you hung up on the Steelers? Why bring them up at all?
Lol. Why are you hung up on the Seahawks? I'm just adopting another team for you. I'm trying to make you happy, and you are not appreciating it. Do I have to cycle through 30 other teams before I can find one for you? Or do you just hate them all? I thought the Steelers were a good one to start with. I mean your name has Pitt in it. Are you a closet Steeler fan? C'mon. Come clean.

LTH

Reaction score
How is Geno Smiths ability unrelated? He has been shown to turn the ball over in vital moments time and time again. He also has like one come from behind win for Seattle and thats it. So what direct discussion do you want to talk about.
I'm in full support of Geno but you bring up a good point about turnovers. Even though there are not a bunch compared to the rest of the league, they come at bad times... and I would like to see more come from behind wins. That might be why he didn't get a longer term contract.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Because i'm not living and hanging onto the past like so many do. If we want to do that then you better start looking at that post season record for the past 7 or so years.

Nostalgia only goes so far.
Your predictions leave a lot to be desired considering how ass backwards your posts were last offseason and how catastrophically incorrect almost everything you said was. I'd wanna forget the past too.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lol. Why are you hung up on the Seahawks? I'm just adopting another team for you. I'm trying to make you happy, and you are not appreciating it. Do I have to cycle through 30 other teams before I can find one for you? Or do you just hate them all? I thought the Steelers were a good one to start with. I mean your name has Pitt in it. Are you a closet Steeler fan? C'mon. Come clean.

Lol. I've told the story a bunch of times. You must of missed it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Your predictions leave a lot to be desired considering how ass backwards your posts were last offseason and how catastrophically incorrect almost everything you said was. I'd wanna forget the past too.

The one thing i've stood by for years now is that Carroll will never sniff another Super Bowl and i'm not wrong on that account. At this point just enjoy the early playoff exits because thats all your going to get.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot about Pete Carroll’s philosophy since the last draft. The recent thread talking about Jamal Adams being such a bad trade factored into this as well. IMHO Pete Carroll is a guy who believes in people. He believes that if they are competitive and have a chip on their shoulder then he can work with them. I feel this goes into how he views the world. He used to work (not sure if he still does) with kids in reallllly bad neighborhoods at his own risk. Because of this unwavering belief in people and trying to help is at his core thus bleeding into his football philosophy.

You could look a the Jamal Adams trade as see this. JA when we traded was considered top tier if not the best in his position in the league. He had no injury issues and he has an undeniable competitive attitude and swagger (even if you don’t like it).
Percy Harvin was an extreme talent and a bit of a head case but because Pete feels that he can guide/reason/coach even the worst of head he taught this was a good move. He turned out injury prone and was a definite head case. Pete could not work around that one.
Marshawn Lynch was very rough around the edges coming from Buffalo but this was someone who Pete thought he could get the best out of. And he did.

While his philosophy may not work out as often as we like it is more than just football to Pete. Say what you will but the culture he has created in Seattle keeps the castoffs coming back and the loner coming here for a home.

We have seen this mentality in drafts as well. I think hopefully he has softened a bit on this mindset and has begun to take note of some of the red flags and may take a pass on some (looking at you Jalen Carter). There are those whose who feel that Pete is stuck in the past and can’t keep up with the modern league. No way. He is the modern league. He has adjusting many things over the years because he has the mentality of someone half his age.

Sorry for the rambling but hopefully you get the idea of what I am trying to say. I think Pete is the best thing to happen to this team (maybe second after Paul Allen). Despite his flaws all his positives outweigh the minuses by a huge margin.
Excellent. Well put. Agreed with all of it. Look at Charbonnet. Many here are pissed off with the pick but he can be a 3 down back if Walker fails to impress consistently. Training camp is going to be lit this year

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I know remember why I took a vacation you guys can very venal. Luckily most people either ignore me or for some reason tolerate me so I'm fine.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Disagree, this forum is more critical then the general public, yes we have extremes in views, but the general knowledge of long time fans here is extremely high, new fans still learning the game will gain perspective and get keener insight spending time here versus shock and awe sites looking for clicks. Casual fans out there, well those are the ones that sit and don't cheer, complain when other stand up to cheer, refuse to go to games when they don't have a winning record or are front runners, or if it's going to rain.

Also when you ask who's the best player for the franchise or first owner they say Richard Sherman or Kam who were good, and stare at you blankly when you say John Nordstrom.
Great post Chris.

I think Pete is a great head coach, but he interferes too much. When Schotty moved upstairs, the offense came alive. I think Schotty's limitations, and Russell's ego put an end to that.

The Superb Owl we lost, Pete's asking Bevell questions while the clock is ticking down to the last seconds. Pete said "I asked Bevell, 'What've we got?'" So DB is explaining to Pete his plans, instead of focusing in a high pressure situation.

And I wonder why former DC's never come back here?

Pete's other downfall is when he gets flippant about something. Like when someone asked him about the heat and humidity in San Diego. His response? "They have to play in it too!" I'll never forget seeing people holding 4' x 8' white boards over the players for shade.

1st game last year, a couple of minutes left, and Pete throws a horrible red flag on a 1st down, and lost. Luckily we didn't need them, but Monday morning when Salk asked him if that was risky, Pete said "I don't care about them time outs!"

I was dumbfounded. RW had the 2nd most 4th quarter come backs, using time outs...

If he had cleaned that stuff up, the wasted challenges, or the inexplicable time outs, the interfering, we probably would have had more home playoff games, and advanced further in to the playoffs each time.

Despite my complaints, I think he's the 2nd best head coach in the NFL, behind only Andy Reid. Carroll is easily a Hall of Fame coach, and he should be a First Ballot Half of Famer.

I'm not sure, but he might become the only head coach in 2 Hall's of Fame, NFL, and NCAA.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Great post Chris.

I think Pete is a great head coach, but he interferes too much. When Schotty moved upstairs, the offense came alive. I think Schotty's limitations, and Russell's ego put an end to that.

The Superb Owl we lost, Pete's asking Bevell questions while the clock is ticking down to the last seconds. Pete said "I asked Bevell, 'What've we got?'" So DB is explaining to Pete his plans, instead of focusing in a high pressure situation.

And I wonder why former DC's never come back here?

Pete's other downfall is when he gets flippant about something. Like when someone asked him about the heat and humidity in San Diego. His response? "They have to play in it too!" I'll never forget seeing people holding 4' x 8' white boards over the players for shade.

1st game last year, a couple of minutes left, and Pete throws a horrible red flag on a 1st down, and lost. Luckily we didn't need them, but Monday morning when Salk asked him if that was risky, Pete said "I don't care about them time outs!"

I was dumbfounded. RW had the 2nd most 4th quarter come backs, using time outs...

If he had cleaned that stuff up, the wasted challenges, or the inexplicable time outs, the interfering, we probably would have had more home playoff games, and advanced further in to the playoffs each time.

Despite my complaints, I think he's the 2nd best head coach in the NFL, behind only Andy Reid. Carroll is easily a Hall of Fame coach, and he should be a First Ballot Half of Famer.

I'm not sure, but he might become the only head coach in 2 Hall's of Fame, NFL, and NCAA.

If the second best coach struggles with some things, maybe it's because those things aren't easy. I never understand folks wanting mea culpas for these things and Pete being flippant is just him saying "screw you, I don't have to say sorry every time you guys think I messed up."
You'll find that Andy Reid gets just as much criticism for challenges and clock management from his fan base.

FOr all the Pete Haters, my pat line is, "Be careful what you wish for." The next coach is much more likely to be worse than better. By a large margin.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Individual play has nothing to do with it huh? As for Geno, Pete and Waldron did well with the system they are running. The issue is when its not working. Thats where Geno fails. He's incapable of doing anymore when asked or needed.
Geno was incapable until he got the chance to start, too. He did better than he ever had before. Now he has the opportunity to better what he did last year. We'll see how that works with a surrounding cast that is even more improved.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Lol. I've told the story a bunch of times. You must of missed it.

Yeah, he's told the story many times about how he just wants Pete gone & it doesn't matter who replaces him or how it works out & that he's more than willing to be wrong & endure multiple 2-14 seasons for us all as long as Pete is gone.

He just wants to be able to claim he's right & the only way he can claim he's right is for Pete to be gone & we win a SB with someone else.

Yes, this is the story he's told many times here that you must have missed.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Geno was incapable until he got the chance to start, too. He did better than he ever had before. Now he has the opportunity to better what he did last year. We'll see how that works with a surrounding cast that is even more improved.

Yes we will.

Credit to Geno for the season he had last year, but his weaknesses and limitations were still clearly evident.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah, he's told the story many times about how he just wants Pete gone & it doesn't matter who replaces him or how it works out & that he's more than willing to be wrong & endure multiple 2-14 seasons for us all as long as Pete is gone.

He just wants to be able to claim he's right & the only way he can claim he's right is for Pete to be gone & we win a SB with someone else.

Yes, this is the story he's told many times here that you must have missed.

Yep, i'll take the chance of a few losing seasons if thats how it plays out rather than coming up short year after year and reading the same old book.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Yep, i'll take the chance of a few losing seasons if thats how it plays out rather than coming up short year after year and reading the same old book.

The chance is more than a few losing seasons. Before Holmgren we were a franchise mired in mediocrity. We’ve had it good for two decades but it could just as easily be two decades of awful.
When was the last time the Cowboys were in a bowl?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The chance is more than a few losing seasons. Before Holmgren we were a franchise mired in mediocrity. We’ve had it good for two decades but it could just as easily be two decades of awful.
When was the last time the Cowboys were in a bowl?

1995 under Barry Switzer. You didnt see the Cowboys clamoring to keep him when he resigned 3 years later.

Like I said, nostalgia only goes so far.

Latest posts