Pay Geno

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
He has a gimpy knee. Left one I believe. That would be the front leg if he's in throwing stance. Just a decent thump on the turf lights it up. Happened once already pre-season this year. He gets a good hit he'll be out for awhile.

samwize77

Reaction score
There is so many variables its difficult to say what is going to happen.
Maybe Pete recently saying Lock is nipping at Genos heels is something to think about. It could mean many things or it could mean nothing.
I have it in the back of my mind, with no evidence to put forward, but I'm thinking the FO just doesn't wish to be saddled with a large QB contract at this point.
If Geno lights it up the rest of the year, but demands $30+ mil do you let him walk?...and go with Lock who will obviously re-sign for less and then put most of your capitol/draft picks towards the defense (if they continue to play like s**t)?....somewhere in the draft grab a QB.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
He has a gimpy knee. Left one I believe. That would be the front leg if he's in throwing stance. Just a decent thump on the turf lights it up. Happened once already pre-season this year. He gets a good hit he'll be out for awhile.
Ahh okay. I'll have to watch for that. I didn't see that.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
There is so many variables its difficult to say what is going to happen.
Maybe Pete recently saying Lock is nipping at Genos heels is something to think about. It could mean many things or it could mean nothing.
I have it in the back of my mind, with no evidence to put forward, but I'm thinking the FO just doesn't wish to be saddled with a large QB contract at this point.
If Geno lights it up the rest of the year, but demands $30+ mil do you let him walk?...and go with Lock who will obviously re-sign for less and then put most of your capitol/draft picks towards the defense (if they continue to play like s**t)?....somewhere in the draft grab a QB.
Pete never said Lock was nipping at his heels. Lock doesn’t have command of the offense like Geno has shown. Lock might be trade bait when all is said and done.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

samwize77

Reaction score
Pete was alluding to their competitiveness as a team so try to not get confused next time guy. To keep it within context, Lock won’t be supplanting Geno as the starter anytime soon barring injury. BTW is there a reason you don’t like Geno? Just curious man the hate has got to stop
Nowhere did I say I do not like how Geno is playing. As a matter of fact I've stated just the opposite I am surprised and happy he is playing the way he is. Look it up. Before the season I was like many here and did not have any confidence in Geno. But Like many here I have also stated my change in feelings on how he is doing. And I've eaten my share of crow.

“He’s doing everything we could ask of him right now,” Carroll said (via The Athletic). “It’s good, too, that he’s got Drew (Lock) nipping at his heels every day in practice. Every day in practice, Drew does stuff. He’s got good stuff going right there in support of what Geno does."

That quote is from Pete. He is NOT talking about the team. He is being specific to Geno and Drew. What does it mean??????????? Like I said 2 times previously..."it could mean nothing"

I have no "hate" for Geno.

BASF

Reaction score
“He’s doing everything we could ask of him right now,” Carroll said (via The Athletic). “It’s good, too, that he’s got Drew (Lock) nipping at his heels every day in practice. Every day in practice, Drew does stuff. He’s got good stuff going right there in support of what Geno does."
That could easily be interpreted as a shot at Wilson and his being butt hurt about having any possible competent QB behind him that would push him. Remember that it was said that Geno was having to do most of his work with the offense after Wilson was done and in the locker room.

samwize77

Reaction score
That could easily be interpreted as a shot at Wilson and his being butt hurt about having any possible competent QB behind him that would push him. Remember that it was said that Geno was having to do most of his work with the offense after Wilson was done and in the locker room.
Yeah, certainly. Or he is just "talking" like he sometimes does. It did not go unnoticed though.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Nowhere did I say I do not like how Geno is playing. As a matter of fact I've stated just the opposite I am surprised and happy he is playing the way he is. Look it up. Before the season I was like many here and did not have any confidence in Geno. But Like many here I have also stated my change in feelings on how he is doing. And I've eaten my share of crow.

That quote is from Pete. He is NOT talking about the team. He is being specific to Geno and Drew. What does it mean??????????? Like I said 2 times previously..."it could mean nothing"

I have no "hate" for Geno.
Oh ok. My bad. I misunderstood what you were getting at. Look the way I see it is we have a quality, budget friendly quarterback that wants to finish the script with Pete in Seattle, the man that believed in him and gave him a shot at redemption. Does Pete need validation? Not in a million years. But wouldn’t it be cool if we used the same blue print as 2011 and ran it back? We already have key pieces in place with guys like Woolen, Brooks, Mafe, Cross, Lucas, Nwosu, Walker and Bryant. They just need to stack the D line next draft

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No need to pay Geno right now. The Hawks have done a lot of in season extensions in December.

He's playing better than everyone's expectations, so let's see if he can keep that up into November and December. If so? Hell yeah I'm down with a 1-2 year nice 15M per year type of extension with some serious guaranteed cash.

Lord knows we need to use ALL the draft picks next year on the defense.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
No need to pay Geno right now. The Hawks have done a lot of in season extensions in December.

He's playing better than everyone's expectations, so let's see if he can keep that up into November and December. If so? Hell yeah I'm down with a 1-2 year nice 15M per year type of extension with some serious guaranteed cash.

Totally aligned, but I don't think 15m/year for 2 years gets it done if he keeps this up.

samwize77

Reaction score

I completely agree....I would think everyone here, at this point in the season, is stoked about Geno. Going forward, if he continues playing this way is only a matter of how much to pay him and for how long, right?

Maui12thman

Reaction score
Hahaha, no way Geno is paid top starter money long term. Hawks brass wants to run ball and play defense. That isn’t happening with a high priced 32 year old QB who is not yet a proven commodity. Hawks brass will build the roster and compete for championships with a QB under rookie contract. And there will be QBs available to them in rounds 2-4 that could sit and develop. I’ll say it one more time- Geno Smith is a bridge. Why would they pay him top starter money after a one-hit wonder of a season where we finish sub .500? We coulda just kept Russ if we wanted to be mired in mediocrity for the next five years. If ya ask me, I’m drafting studs, pass rush, safety, interior o line first, then QBs. I personally love Hooker, and as later picks/flyers- Richardson(his stock is plummeted)and Cunningham. If ya wanna run the ball, get a manager 5hat could also use his legs….like the young Russ.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
When was the last time we had success drafting a high pick as a QB, Ric Mirer? Dan McGwire ? Or did you count Kelly Stouffer from the cards also ? Steve Myer was the best we have got I think as a 2nd rounder and he was injured almost right away once he played with a broken neck.
Right but at some point we will hit on a QB high up but not the next draft..DEFENSE!

balakoth

Reaction score
Right but at some point we will hit on a QB high up but not the next draft..DEFENSE!
If we draft D.. and Geno plays the same next year.. there won't be a high draft pick though