Pay Geno

Chevy

Reaction score
Geno has 5 more good years before he approaches the QB cliff. Coach Carroll has maybe 4 or 5 years left being an NFL head coach, which would put him at 75/76 years old.

So, I could Pete thinking it's going to take at least almost 2 full years to develop a QB coming out of college. If Geno continues to have a very good season, then keeping Geno would give Pete a quicker path back to the playoffs/Super Bowl. Then he could use most of his high draft capitol on defensive players.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even pay geno more than 5 mill per season. We seen how Geno does with bad teams but let’s watch him play the nfc west D ( Rams 49ers and Zona ) I wish the Hawks use that money to get Chubb and Burns and invest in a rookie QB.

sutz

Reaction score
With Penny out, he'll have plenty of chances to "prove" himself over the next 6-8 games. I don't see anything more than a handshake agreement now that basically says we'll deal honestly come next off season. Geno won't want to make a premature deal anyway. It's basically on him now. Even without Penny he has some pretty awesome weapons to bring to bear for a successful season.

nsport

Reaction score
The ONLY way I pay this guy is on 1 year deals. As I stated a couple weeks ago, this guy AT BEST is a .500 QB. Stats are a bit inflated for various reasons. He did make the best throw of his career with that 2nd half TD to Lockette. And... he appears to have a good grasp of the offense. That being said, he's not a clutch QB, definitely flashing in the pan right now - which is fine - but again not translating to wins. Show me a QB that can play 4 quarters and deliver at least some of the time on critical 4th quarter drives, and then I would give him a multi year deal.

On the flip side, the real plan here if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly is Lock as QB in waiting (he'll probably start before the year is out). and a drafted QB next year. We may on the top side get the 8 wins this year, but we punted two victories (due to Geno malfunction) (but more importantly losses due to Diggs way overcompensating for the loss of Adams). So maybe now even 7 wins is out of the question.

This team will only get better as the young defenders find their way. I can't make Barton better than he is. I can't have much more patience for the 3-4 hybrid ends we have right now. They are too inconsistent. True enough, Geno is helping us stay in the game, but it's still a fact that the defense put him in positions to win and he hasn't done it.

Last point I'll make - imagine you could trade Geno today. In all honesty, would anyone even trade for him? Does he have ANY value whatsoever? I'd bet best case scenario he's about a 5th or a 6th rounder if we had a suitor. Most likely there would be nobody that wants him. Why? Because he's a career backup that can't get the job done when it counts. That's just how it is - so to say to pay him a multi-year deal and reward mediocrity is just foolish in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geno's certainly exceeding expectations, but I'm going to need to see him play well against some of the more elite defenses in the NFC before jumping on this bandwagon.

I guess it's good news that Geno's not the problem this year. Bad news is this defense is right now the worst defense in Hawk's history since like 1983.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The ONLY way I pay this guy is on 1 year deals. As I stated a couple weeks ago, this guy AT BEST is a .500 QB. Stats are a bit inflated for various reasons. He did make the best throw of his career with that 2nd half TD to Lockette. And... he appears to have a good grasp of the offense. That being said, he's not a clutch QB, definitely flashing in the pan right now - which is fine - but again not translating to wins. Show me a QB that can play 4 quarters and delivery at least some of the time on critical 4th quarter drives, and then I would give him a multi year deal.

On the flip side, the real plan here if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly is Lock as QB in waiting (he'll probably start before the year is out). and a drafted QB next year. We may on the top side get the 8 wins this year, but we punted two victories (due to Geno malfunction) (but more importantly losses due to Diggs way overcompensating for the loss of Adams). So maybe now even 7 wins is out of the question.

This team will only get better as the young defenders find their way. I can't make Barton better than he is. I can't have much more patience for the 3-4 hybrid ends we have right now. They are too inconsistent. True enough, Geno is helping us stay in the game, but it's still a fact that the defense put him in positions to win and he hasn't done it.

Last point I'll make - imagine you could trade Geno today. In all honesty, would anyone even trade for him? Does he have ANY value whatsoever? I'd bet best case scenario he's about a 5th or a 6th rounder if we had a suitor. Most likely there would be nobody that wants him. Why? Because he's a career backup that can't get the job done when it counts. That's just how it is - so to say to pay him a multi-year deal and reward mediocrity is just foolish in my humble opinion.
He's almost .500 right now with one of the worst defenses of all time. Big stretch to say he's incapable of having a better record than that after watching these past 5 games.

nsport

Reaction score
I didn't pin the losses on him. That's on Diggs. But for sure, Geno is not any better than a .500 QB on a good team. Doesn't deliver in the clutch - hasn't yet this year, so I don't expect him to, period. If he was 50% on 4th QTR gotta-have-it drives, we'd be 3-2 right now. He had the ball with chances to win. Keep in mind, he has 5 really good targets and had chances to pull the ball down. Dissly was wide open on 3rd and 2, and he could have scrambled for it rather than take a sack. That's bad football right there... really bad.

Take a moment and consider his "value" as a trade piece - there isn't any. I don't know why people are so quick to give him so much respect. I may be a little salty towards him, but nothing I said is wrong.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I will say this about Geno, he's played well enough for me to trust him for another year or two so we can use ALL the draft picks on the defensive side of the ball.

I haven't seen a defense this soft since Holmgren's first couple of years........and I don't mean lacking effort and talent, I mean no physicality, hitting and violence. They're getting run the hell over.

themunn

Reaction score
Show me one game he brought us back for a win late and he was the reason we won? Not more than $10 mil for Geno.

Would be nice if our defense could put us in a position where Geno doesn't need to come back and win late.

We shouldn't be having our QB throw for 250 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Interceptions and be losing games, especially after he engineered 2 back to back TD drives to give us the lead with 5 mins left, including a no huddle 40 yard on the money bullet TD pass to Lockett that was darted between 3 defenders.

As for the sack - the playcall leaves NO's best pass rusher (Jordan) unblocked by the O-Line. Walker is supposed to chip him but slips before engaging so Geno is immediately forced to flush the pocket - Walker then fails to block Jordan a 2nd time and Geno has to eat the sack.
NO gets the ball with 4 minutes left - plenty of time for the D to make a stop, but of course, they are unable to.

I'd pay Geno for 2 years and draft a QB high this year - otherwise our rookie QB next year will get the same pelters from fans every week for "not being able to win the game in the 4th" when the defense can't do anything to stop the opposition.

Do you know how many 4th Q comebacks $245m man Russell Wilson had where the opposition scored 39 points or more as they did yesterday? ZERO. In fact only twice in his 10 year HoF worthy career has he done it where the opposition scored more than 30. He even threw an interception with less than 3 minutes left on one of them (Texans, 2017), but the defense actually stepped up, forced a punt and won the ball back to give him a 2nd chance to make it right.

nsport

Reaction score
Do you know how many 4th Q comebacks $245m man Russell Wilson had where the opposition scored 39 points or more as they did yesterday? ZERO. In fact only twice in his 10 year HoF worthy career has he done it where the opposition scored more than 30. He even threw an interception with less than 3 minutes left on one of them (Texans, 2017), but the defense actually stepped up, forced a punt and won the ball back to give him a 2nd chance to make it right.

Definitely a couple good points, but it comes down to the lens on the problem. It's a fact statistically that Geno is having a good year, the defense is notoriously bad, and that Geno has not engineered any game saving or go-ahead drives yet this season.

This quote is about the lens on things - The reason Wilson never had to in that situation is we almost never gave up that many points, nor we never asked him to put up that many. It's a conundrum of circumstance that we have a defense that has to take too many chances, giving up so many points that opposing defenses are not as brutal from play to play as we have faced year over year during the Russell Wilson era. What I'm saying is the statistical anomaly of Geno Smith and Pro-Bowl-like numbers is due to the circumstance, not to his skill. When in crunch time, we see old Geno. When nothing's on the line, defenses give us a lot of leeway - plus lots of good targets as I mentioned makes it pretty easy to run our offense - along with a decent running game too.

Crunch time. No performance. That is still the overwhelming fact here.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Extend Geno and start fixing this pathetic defense. Need to start paying the refs to just call a fair and square game. No more phantom holds

Seahawker

Reaction score
Five games into the season we are 5 games from our bye week in week 11 (mid Nov). If Geno rip's it up until then I wouldn't be surprised to see JS take a look at his contract at that time. It will be interesting to watch Geno's trajectory & how much interest he would garner, especially with a QB heavy draft. GS will make 7M in 22', the lower end for league starters, Not saying 20M is Geno's number, but that would be middle of the pack (15th highest) per year. Much of the reason we were able to win SB48 was operating within the cap with a rookie QB under center. A first round QB nets around 3-6M per, that's at least a two starting O-Lineman savings over signing a vet. Would love to see Geno re-sign a fair, team friendly, incentive laden, mostly guaranteed deal while a 2nd or 3rd rounder learned from the sidelines. If someone throws a stupid amount of $ at Geno like Denver did with RW, then we will just have to walk, or maybe the tag could be in play.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the Hawks use a 1st round pick on a QB. Will Geno pan out through the rest of the season? If he does pan out, how many years do they think Geno has left in the tank? Then what are they going to do with Lock? How much upside do they think Lock has? Do they think they need to draft one at all? These are all really interesting questions that we won't know for a while.

I think as of this point the D needs to be addressed even though I am one of the few that think this D will pan out in the end with a bit of patience. but for sure those draft picks need to be allocated towards the D. The question is where do they take a QB if they take one at all?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Definitely a couple good points, but it comes down to the lens on the problem. It's a fact statistically that Geno is having a good year, the defense is notoriously bad, and that Geno has not engineered any game saving or go-ahead drives yet this season.

This quote is about the lens on things - The reason Wilson never had to in that situation is we almost never gave up that many points, nor we never asked him to put up that many. It's a conundrum of circumstance that we have a defense that has to take too many chances, giving up so many points that opposing defenses are not as brutal from play to play as we have faced year over year during the Russell Wilson era. What I'm saying is the statistical anomaly of Geno Smith and Pro-Bowl-like numbers is due to the circumstance, not to his skill. When in crunch time, we see old Geno. When nothing's on the line, defenses give us a lot of leeway - plus lots of good targets as I mentioned makes it pretty easy to run our offense - along with a decent running game too.

Crunch time. No performance. That is still the overwhelming fact here.
32 points is enough to win most games. He battled back from a deficit with those beautiful TDs to Lockett in a comeback situation. He'd be doing kneel downs in the 4th quarter instead of needing to score 40+ every game if the defense could just be AVERAGE (23 ppg).

Nunya

Reaction score
Geno is signed through April. I doubt any discussion about any extension will take place until after the season is complete. If he continues to play at the level he has played recently he will likely get a 1 or 2 year extension...and maybe even a 3 year extension at about $5-$15 mil per year. If he drops off, 1-2 year extension at $5-$7.5 mil a year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
That's what he did today, if by "win" you mean took an inexcusable sack on third and 2 that basically put an end to our chances.
Hell yeah, I mean the Defense & Piss Poor Officiating had NOTHING to do with this loss, let's lay it all on Geno for not pulling an EXTRAORDINARY COMEBACK, like Russ used to do, but NO LONGER CAN.
RIDICULOUS.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Remember when it was "Geno only does it against bad defenses! Let's see it against the Saints!" and then he put together yet another excellent outing with very limited mistakes and a couple of stunning throws, and then the goalposts moved again to some flukey "he didn't single-handedly win the game" crap?

The goalposts will never, ever stop moving. People cannot change their priors on him. There will never be fully objective analysis of his play, because people will never accept him due to the stigma his name carries.

If he ends up overcoming the defense and doing it all himself a couple of times, the goalposts will move again to "well, he hasn't done it every time."

When there's nowhere left to move the goalposts, they'll say "I don't care. He's Geno Smith, he's not the answer."

It'll never change.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
From what I can see through Spotrac, neither Geno or Drew are under contract after this year. It would almost seem to me that you have to keep one of them, if nothing else, for continuity of the position.
Do you let both go???
I'm guessing here, that JS and PC are waiting to see how Geno does the rest of the year. If he falls off, which seems to almost have to happen, then he'll NOT have leverage to demand anything close to big $$. With that happening, I see keeping him for certain. Does Geno give any sort of "home town discount" if he performs well the rest of the season? I have nothing to base this on, but I doubt it. I can't see Seattle paying him more than $20mil a year regardless of rest of the year performance.
NOT having to pay big$$ for your QB is a wonderful thing for a franchise. Especially with the draft capitol, cap space.
My money is on Seattle keeping him all things being equal and stay the same as now. No injuries......continued good performance....
If he continues to play well I suspect we will have to pay him more than $20m PYA. I think this is a complete list of starting QBs not on a rookie contract earning less than $30m PYA. (I am not including starting back-ups like Jimmy G and Andy Dalton)
Tannahill $29.5m (pretty close)
Brady $25m
Mayfield $15.4m
Winston $14m
Mariota $9.4m

So far this season Geno is looking a lot better than the bottom three on that list when their contracts were signed (and better than many earning $30m+ )

hoxrox

Reaction score
Show me one game he brought us back for a win late and he was the reason we won? Not more than $10 mil for Geno.
10 mil is pretty low compared to some these average salaries.