Osprey vs Falcon

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
ParisPC07":13snrxt9 said:
Osprey. It's pinioned wings are more powerful to lift things out of water, which is more dense than air. Grabbin feet are stronger with more sickled talons and a denticle like surface to grip.

MY FEARLESS PREDICTION
Osprey: 1
Generic Falcon: 0

So they can carry more missiles and such right?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3qswdkc0 said:
Ospreys are slightly larger than eagles. I believe they are the world's largest birds of prey, unless you count vultures/condors, but that would be kind of silly.

No they aren't. Bald Eagles are larger by a decent margin. (60cm compared to about 70cm in length, and about a 1/3rd heavier on average.)

*the more you know*

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Okay guys, this is gonna sound a little off the wall, but I'm kinda qualified to tell you all how this fight would go. A: I was once the world online virtual dogfighting champion. I learned my skills from actual top gun trainers in the USAF. B: as luck would have it, I've actually witnessed a small hawk engage a bald eagle in a drawn out battle in the air.

The Osprey, being the larger of the two birds, is the more powerful climber. It is also the less maneuverable of the two. The Falcon, being smaller, can dive faster and here's the part I was surprised to learn from watching first hand: Much like a German Messerschmidt from WW2, the bird that dives quickly can "zoom" back up just as quickly.

What develops is a classic "boom and zoom" fight where the Falcon makes quick dives from an advantageous position and zooms back out of reach again. The Osprey, however, will use it's larger wingspan to steal some altitude after each strike. This is called energy fighting and every dogfighter pilot learns about energy fighting. Birds, naturally, are instinctual energy fighters. So long as the Falcon doesn't get a crippling strike against the Osprey, then each "boom and zoom" attack becomes less and less effective as the Osprey closes the energy gap between the two birds. At some point, the Falcon will make one last, desperate strike, then dive away never to return, it's energy advantage lost.

One mistake by the Falcon and the Osprey will have it for lunch. One mistake by the Osprey and it will find itself in trouble, unable to win the energy fight, unable to escape unless there is a tree nearby to take refuge in. The one thing the Falcon doesn't want to do is enter the branch zone of a tree against an Osprey where the Falcon loses its speed and mobility advantage and the Osprey's size wins out. So if the Falcon gets a crippling strike on the Osprey, the seahawk will make for the branches of a tree. If there is no where to run to, the Osprey will have to take the fight low to the ground and hope for the best.

sam1313

Reaction score
In North America Bubo owls and Bald Eagles (and possibly other eagles of comparable size) are the only major predators of both nests and sub adults.[36]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey

In other words, even Bald Eagles aren't praying on Ospreys. Osprey>Falcon despite the speed factor.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Peregrine falcon is the mascot of my alma mater (United States Air Force Academy) and is the only performing NCAA mascot. That is one bad bird. Fastest animal on the planet. It has a reinforced breast plate so it can ram other birds, daze them and then eat then while they are laying there wondering where the hell this little bat out of hell came from. Falcons also can't glide. They have to flap their wings at all times to stay airborne which burns a ton of energy.

Finally, I fly an F-16 "Fighting Falcon" and that's another nasty little bird. 29,500 lbs. of thrust on a 22,000lb. airplane capable of 9Gs is a deadly combo in close combat.

All that said, a generic falcon gets his ass kicked by an Osprey. But let's not talk about the military realm.

v22_header.jpg

2008 06 07 6013 f16

My good friend Garrett "Mace" Dover flying the West Coast Demo jet above.

Okungfu

Reaction score
I live in an area that has both Bald Eagles and Osprey . This time of year we go down to the lake and watch the Eagles fish for Kokanee ( blue back) . The osprey will attack and harass the eagle until it drops its fish and then the osprey feasts ! We will feast !

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I live on the water and regularly watch the Ospreys harassing Bald Eagles. They have serious attitude. In the straight up fight as inquired of the Falcon would be over matched by a much stronger and more aggressive predator in the Osprey. In a speed contest the Falcons would be faster but in a fight the Osprey is bigger stronger and nastier.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
falcongoggles":29gk4k3z said:
Peregrine falcon is the mascot of my alma mater (United States Air Force Academy) and is the only performing NCAA mascot. That is one bad bird. Fastest animal on the planet. It has a reinforced breast plate so it can ram other birds, daze them and then eat then while they are laying there wondering where the hell this little bat out of hell came from. Falcons also can't glide. They have to flap their wings at all times to stay airborne which burns a ton of energy.

Finally, I fly an F-16 "Fighting Falcon" and that's another nasty little bird. 29,500 lbs. of thrust on a 22,000lb. airplane capable of 9Gs is a deadly combo in close combat.

All that said, a generic falcon gets his ass kicked by an Osprey. But let's not talk about the military realm.

v22_header.jpg

2008 06 07 6013 f16

Awesome :)

themunn

Reaction score
falcongoggles":389gelhr said:

v22_header.jpg

2008 06 07 6013 f16

...after Earl Thomas

Zowert

Reaction score
The 'sea hawk' (osprey) would destroy a falcon. Dive speed doesn't matter if they're squaring off, toe-to-toe over a nest. The Osprey is at least twice the size of a falcon. A falcon may be a little more aggressive, but a sea hawk is a lot stronger. While falcons are out snagging mice off the ground. An osprey is ripping fishing nearly twice their size out of the sea and flying away with them. It take a lot of strength to carry a 16-22 inch salmon in flight. While the falcon is nibbling on a field mouse that weighs a couple ounces.

[youtube]nA3LtXnNIto[/youtube]

Look at how big that fish is at 1:53

There are videos on the net of sea hawks grabbing fish much bigger than that too.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
That vid reminds me of how Lynch swooped in to grab the fumble on the run.

Oh and RW got some huge talons himself for a seahawk.

Hawknight

Reaction score
No one posted a pic of the "Millenium Falcon"? I'm shocked, no devastaed, disappointed in all you Star Wars fans This is the best Falcon ever, would destroy an Osprey.

"It’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs" (Rumor is that Russell Wilson was seen running past it though, but, we won't tell Han Solo) Shhhhhh!

:sarcasm_off:

aawolf

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":39qf2bhr said:
Okay guys, this is gonna sound a little off the wall, but I'm kinda qualified to tell you all how this fight would go. A: I was once the world online virtual dogfighting champion. I learned my skills from actual top gun trainers in the USAF. B: as luck would have it, I've actually witnessed a small hawk engage a bald eagle in a drawn out battle in the air.

The Osprey, being the larger of the two birds, is the more powerful climber. It is also the less maneuverable of the two. The Falcon, being smaller, can dive faster and here's the part I was surprised to learn from watching first hand: Much like a German Messerschmidt from WW2, the bird that dives quickly can "zoom" back up just as quickly.

What develops is a classic "boom and zoom" fight where the Falcon makes quick dives from an advantageous position and zooms back out of reach again. The Osprey, however, will use it's larger wingspan to steal some altitude after each strike. This is called energy fighting and every dogfighter pilot learns about energy fighting. Birds, naturally, are instinctual energy fighters. So long as the Falcon doesn't get a crippling strike against the Osprey, then each "boom and zoom" attack becomes less and less effective as the Osprey closes the energy gap between the two birds. At some point, the Falcon will make one last, desperate strike, then dive away never to return, it's energy advantage lost.

One mistake by the Falcon and the Osprey will have it for lunch. One mistake by the Osprey and it will find itself in trouble, unable to win the energy fight, unable to escape unless there is a tree nearby to take refuge in. The one thing the Falcon doesn't want to do is enter the branch zone of a tree against an Osprey where the Falcon loses its speed and mobility advantage and the Osprey's size wins out. So if the Falcon gets a crippling strike on the Osprey, the seahawk will make for the branches of a tree. If there is no where to run to, the Osprey will have to take the fight low to the ground and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info!! I see this analysis as being a true metaphor for how the Seahawks beat the Falcons this weekend:

The Osprey:
Big, hard hitting, bird that wins based on fighting off each strike and pounding through the opposition--Just like the Seahawks running game.

The Falcon:
Fast, illusive bird that wins by outmanuvering a bigger, more physical opponent by taking quick repeated shots at the opponent until he loses his will--Just like the Falcons passing game.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":40pqbcmf said:
The Falcon is faster, both are predators for small mammals. I think the Falcon might have a higher appetite for meat, where the Osprey is fine getting fish out of the water.
Since when is a fish a mammal?

Amazing. <shaking head, wondering how old the Loaf is>

From Wiki...
The Osprey (Pandion haliaetus), sometimes known as the sea hawk, fish eagle or fish hawk, is a diurnal, fish-eating bird of prey.

Same source...
As its other common name suggests, the Osprey's diet consists almost exclusively of fish.

Link to source... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey

blue 22

Reaction score
I thought this was gonna be a dumb thread so I never clicked on it but it definitely did not dissapoint! awesome info!