Osprey vs Falcon

Bipolar

Reaction score
out of sheer curiousity -- any bird enthusiasts in here???

if the two birds fight each other in real life, who is more likely to win, the Seahawk/Osprey or a Falcon?

/sorry if I posted this in the wrong form ;).

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Falcon is faster, both are predators for small mammals. I think the Falcon might have a higher appetite for meat, where the Osprey is fine getting fish out of the water.

I watched an Osprey take a massive trout out of the Deschutes River in Oregon, at least 20" while it was attached to my line and literally snapped the 6lb test line like it was a spider web while flying away.

That said, I think the Falcon is capable of like 200mph or something crazy like that. HELLO..

Doesn't matter on Sunday though. These are Seahawks...

DericLee

Reaction score
Falcons are much, much smaller then Osprey's.

Really, the Falcons only real advantage is in the speed with which it can strike down at.

Outside of that, the Osprey should be able to beat the crud out of any type of Falcon in a heads up one on one battle.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":273hckbl said:
That said, I think the Falcon is capable of like 200mph or something crazy like that. HELLO..

The peregrine falcon is what you're thinking of. Other/regular falcons can't do that. It's ridiculous what a peregrine can do, though; as far as speed goes.

DericLee

Reaction score
But that speed is only for the 'dive' it uses to catch it's prey, it's not like it fly's that fast in general.

So the Falcons will come in with speed to start and catch us of guard, but after that initial surprise strike, it will be a strait up brawl, in which the Osprey has the much bigger advantage.

sam1313

Reaction score
So long as the osprey doesn't get hit in the back by a Falcon in a dive (that is where they can hit 180-200 mph), osprey should win out. Osprey's are very tough birds, more so I believe than Falcons...

ParisPC07

Reaction score
Osprey. It's pinioned wings are more powerful to lift things out of water, which is more dense than air. Grabbin feet are stronger with more sickled talons and a denticle like surface to grip.

MY FEARLESS PREDICTION
Osprey: 1
Generic Falcon: 0

Interceptor

Reaction score
I live where there are Peregrine falcons and Red-tailed hawks. I was lucky enough to see a Peregrine hunt once in Central Park. Un-freaking-believable. It doesn't look natural. Like a jet punching a pigeon.

And those red-tailed hawks are huge. They roost in the trees, mostly unseen unless you are actively looking. They can be found in the trees at the southwest entrance of the park.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I studied birds in my zoology class last summer.

They are both of the Order Falconiformes. The osprey is more of a surface diver (in which it plummets and dives through the water) to catch fish, and falcons are usually just air divers and plummet towards the ground for smaller animals.

I took a picture of a dead osprey from my lab, but I don't think it's appropriate to post it up here.

Atradees

Reaction score
"The Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus), also known as the Peregrine,[2] and historically as the Duck Hawk in North America......" Wiki

This falcon sounds more like the Oregon Ducks! Quack Quack. (scores really fast AND known as the duck hawk)

DericLee

Reaction score
So it pretty much boils down to the fact that for the Falcon to win it has to be prefect and not make a single mistake(on it's death dive that is).

Sounds good to me.

kearly

Reaction score
Ospreys are slightly larger than eagles. I believe they are the world's largest birds of prey, unless you count vultures/condors, but that would be kind of silly.

bellingerga

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1r7kqkdb said:
loafoftatupu":1r7kqkdb said:

The peregrine falcon is what you're thinking of. Other/regular falcons can't do that. It's ridiculous what a peregrine can do, though; as far as speed goes.

more like Peregrine meth head. Holy cow I didn't know any bird could fly that fast.