Opinion: Christine Michael to become hot trade target.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If we resign Lynch (highly expected) and draft a RB pretty high (as most people expect), which RB do we let go of?
I believe, if we draft another RB, then CM will most likely be released. He has been inactive way too often and has barely seen the field in many games. To me, he is just taking away a roster spot for nothing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
C-Mike hasn't earned anything, if he had he would be playing. It's that simple.

I have called him fumble prone, because I saw him fumbling in college, in practice. Not in games.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":26f49sab said:
So I think you could possibly deal him for a pick in the 45-55 area at best for a RB hungry team.

He was drafted with the 62nd pick in 2012.

His value has gone up by not being able to rise above 3rd on the depth chart for two years?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ll6ns0i said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2ll6ns0i said:
So I think you could possibly deal him for a pick in the 45-55 area at best for a RB hungry team.

His value has gone up by not being able to rise above 3rd on the depth chart for two years?
Fans way over value their own. Remember how excited Niner fans were for Lattimore?

King Dog

Reaction score
We will probably never give him a chance, trade him and he will go on to have a career like Ahman Green did :(

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1mm19xp1 said:
If Michael was in this draft, he argubly could be looking at being the 1st RB taken.

Michael would have the best combine performance, just like he had in 2013. His tape, on the other hand, would not even put him in the Top 8 in this draft. This is one of the deepest RB classes in years.

Why would you take a guy who has only two years left on his rookie deal at a million per, and has done nothing for two years, when you can draft a younger, cheaper, more talented rookie from this amazing RB class?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3mo9u3nn said:
Popeyejones":3mo9u3nn said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3mo9u3nn said:

Fans way over value their own. Remember how excited Niner fans were for Lattimore?

:)

I was actually thinking LaMichael James while making my post.

(Held back on the comparison because C.M. hasn't sunk that far yet)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":33l14cjn said:
kearly":33l14cjn said:
IIRC, Pete Carroll himself said that Michael's preseason fumbles were freak occurrences. Michael did everything right on those two plays, but sometimes fumbles happen anyway.

His fumble against Arizona was the first regular season fumble of his career, basically it's too soon to judge if he has a fumble problem based on the sample size so far. Of course, he still needs to learn to transfer the ball better when running and he did have a fumble problem in college. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I think sometimes as fans we focus on negative plays too much. For example, DeMarco Murray is one of the more fumble prone RBs in the NFL. Many of the top WRs in the NFL, including even Jerry Rice, were well known for having drop problems. Sometimes great defensive players and great offensive linemen rack up penalties. It's annoying but these drawbacks can be overcome with high caliber play.

Turbin is improving every year, and he just doesn't fumble. He is not easy to beat out on a team that is all about the ball. But, Pete is also all about the big play, and Michael has the ability to be one of the best big play RBs in the league. I think the competition between the two is probably very close, but Turbin gets the edge due to his extra year of experience and for the simple reason that he suits a #2 RB role better than Michael does.

Given how rare fumbles are and how little a #2 RB touches the football, I would think that pass protection is a much bigger factor than fumbles for the #2 RB job. And Turbin, though hardly perfect in protection, is definitely a cut above Michael at this point.

But what happens when Lynch is done and these guys are competing for new jobs? Given that Turbin doesn't really have a ton of rushing talent and Michael doesn't have a lot of pass pro ability, it seems unlikely to me that Turbin-Michael would be the 1-2 in the post Lynch Seahawks.

Before the season, you actually wanted Marshawn traded so Michael could be the feature back last year. You also said Michael has the pure explosiveness of Adrian Peterson. I like Michael's potential, but I wouldn't go that far. Not at all. I don't think he was ready for that responsibility this past season, given the need to develop other critical areas of his game (i.e. ball security, changing hands with the football, blocking, reading his blockers, etc.). And I'm certainly glad the front office never considered trading or releasing Marshawn to make room for Michael as the feature back.
Cool post...should we bring up everytime you've changed your mind? Honestly, whats the point of this? Kearlys opinion of a player may have changed over the course of a year, get over it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":30xfv8op said:
hawknation2015":30xfv8op said:
kearly":30xfv8op said:
IIRC, Pete Carroll himself said that Michael's preseason fumbles were freak occurrences. Michael did everything right on those two plays, but sometimes fumbles happen anyway.

His fumble against Arizona was the first regular season fumble of his career, basically it's too soon to judge if he has a fumble problem based on the sample size so far. Of course, he still needs to learn to transfer the ball better when running and he did have a fumble problem in college. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I think sometimes as fans we focus on negative plays too much. For example, DeMarco Murray is one of the more fumble prone RBs in the NFL. Many of the top WRs in the NFL, including even Jerry Rice, were well known for having drop problems. Sometimes great defensive players and great offensive linemen rack up penalties. It's annoying but these drawbacks can be overcome with high caliber play.

Turbin is improving every year, and he just doesn't fumble. He is not easy to beat out on a team that is all about the ball. But, Pete is also all about the big play, and Michael has the ability to be one of the best big play RBs in the league. I think the competition between the two is probably very close, but Turbin gets the edge due to his extra year of experience and for the simple reason that he suits a #2 RB role better than Michael does.

Given how rare fumbles are and how little a #2 RB touches the football, I would think that pass protection is a much bigger factor than fumbles for the #2 RB job. And Turbin, though hardly perfect in protection, is definitely a cut above Michael at this point.

But what happens when Lynch is done and these guys are competing for new jobs? Given that Turbin doesn't really have a ton of rushing talent and Michael doesn't have a lot of pass pro ability, it seems unlikely to me that Turbin-Michael would be the 1-2 in the post Lynch Seahawks.

Before the season, you actually wanted Marshawn traded so Michael could be the feature back last year. You also said Michael has the pure explosiveness of Adrian Peterson. I like Michael's potential, but I wouldn't go that far. Not at all. I don't think he was ready for that responsibility this past season, given the need to develop other critical areas of his game (i.e. ball security, changing hands with the football, blocking, reading his blockers, etc.). And I'm certainly glad the front office never considered trading or releasing Marshawn to make room for Michael as the feature back.
Cool post...should we bring up everytime you've changed your mind? Honestly, whats the point of this? Kearlys opinion of a player may have changed over the course of a year, get over it.

I'm not so certain it has changed.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Some of the comments about Michael are flat out embarrassing. He will never be a lead back? He fumbled a lot in practice? He would be playing a lot if he was any good? Or my favorite he can't run thru a lane unless it's huge?

He's actually had a couple of really good runs including some third downs where there was nothing. He's an elite talent and the only people disputing that are message board experts. If he was coming out this year he would be in the running with Gordon and Gurley for first back taken. Something is holding him back but I still think if Lynch retired they see him as the future and not turbin. Fans are way to quick to dismiss a player. Larry Johnson didn't see the field for a while too. Similar situation in my opinion.

King Dog

Reaction score
It's kind of interesting. I can't recall if it was at OTA's or Training Camp last season, but I remember an interview where Carroll said Michael was the most improved player on the team. Then he went on to have 34 carries last season.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
King Dog":8300zz45 said:
It's kind of interesting. I can't recall if it was at OTA's or Training Camp last season, but I remember an interview where Carroll said Michael was the most improved player on the team. Then he went on to have 34 carries last season.

Personally, I think the fumbles in the preseason played a part in that. I was also surprised when they didn't integrate him into the game plan after the Harvin trade.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think some of it is bad luck honestly. They trust Turbin on third down and you're not going to take a lot of carries away from Lynch on first and second down. I'll make a prediction, Michael sees the field a lot more in 2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
austinslater25":3b86ke79 said:
I think some of it is bad luck honestly. They trust Turbin on third down and you're not going to take a lot of carries away from Lynch on first and second down. I'll make a prediction, Michael sees the field a lot more in 2015

If Lynch returns and they draft a RB, do you go with four RBs on the roster? Dump Turbin?

Vetamur

Reaction score
If we traded Michael we would get a 7th.. 6th if Atlanta or Jacksonville wanted to throw their coaches ex boss a bone.

At this point its better to keep him and see if he can ever earn time for that 2nd round pick we burned on him. If Lynch doesnt come back we will be RBC with a rookie , Lynch, and Michael..who at least hopefully by now knows the system.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Good point Veta. Whatever your stance is on Michael is potential is greater than anything we would get in a trade.

Ozzy

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1wgrxlto said:
austinslater25":1wgrxlto said:

If Lynch returns and they draft a RB, do you go with four RBs on the roster? Dump Turbin?

I'm not sure to be honest because I love what Turbin brings too and RW trusts him so much. I think they pass on the position or take one really late for competition.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
We also have Bronson on the practice squad too. That may make us a bit RB heavy. It may be that we see a lot of C-mike on the field this year....but on what team? He may get more chances on our team as we are in a RB transition mode too. I mean by that statement, transitioning from Lynch to another set of running back styles. Just a thought.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I think there could be the potential to trade Michael to move up 15 or so spots in the third or fourth round to draft another RB the Hawks like but are afraid will be gone if they wait for him to fall further. A lot of things have to happen to make that scenario come true. The other possibility is the Hawks draft a RB they love in the first or second round and trade Michael for a 6th rounder to free up a roster spot.

getnasty

Reaction score
I wish we could see more of CMike, i have no doubt he is extremely talented and if got a shot would be a success. I just don't think he does the little things constantly enough for the staff to give him that shot. Unfortunately I don't think we would get better then a 5th for him, i would rather keep him and skip drafting a RB if Marshawn comes back,