No QB in the draft because we already have him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Brady Henderson said the consensus was it was Anderson, not AR.

I know that's blasphemy with a lot of you guys who I've been arguing with for months who thought we were drafting Richardson.

Or it's simply a reporter's opinion.

Greg Bell thinks otherwise

I know we've gone back and forth a bit, so I'm not trying to restart that. I am open to finding out the truth but the draft is one of those things you rarely know the truth of it when a player goes before the team's pick.

A bit off topic, it's annoying when reporters share opinion in a tone that suggests it comes from an inside source when it's simply their opinion. Or, I've seen a huge increase in people using other people's guess as a source that indicates what Seattle will do. If it isn't a source within the organization then it isn't news. It's the same as watching the NFL network and its ex-nfl players mock draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A bit off topic, it's annoying when reporters share opinion in a tone that suggests it comes from an inside source when it's simply their opinion. Or, I've seen a huge increase in people using other people's guess as a source that indicates what Seattle will do. If it isn't a source within the organization then it isn't news. It's the same as watching the NFL network and its ex-nfl players mock draft.

When it comes to things like the draft, these media reporters are never going to know the truth beyond what the coaches and interior organizational people they deal with tell them.

Which isn't much.

So all they're left with is mostly speculation and consensus. Which doesn't mean much when it's not grounded in any factual conversations or information with the people who actually make the picks.

Richardson's gone, so we're all moving on.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
When it comes to things like the draft, these media reporters are never going to know the truth beyond what the coaches and interior organizational people they deal with tell them.

Which isn't much.

So all they're left with is mostly speculation and consensus. Which doesn't mean much when it's not grounded in any factual conversations or information with the people who actually make the picks.

Richardson's gone, so we're all moving on.
I feel like if it's coaches and people within the organization, that's insider info and should be stated as such.

When you start using ex players or other draft experts like Mel Kiper as the consensus is it becomes as useful as any other persons opinion. Which is nothing lol

I just wish reporters would be clear on the information they are providing, whether it's sourced within the organization or somebody's opinion. I feel like they like being obtuse because it lends to their credibility (hello Tony Pauline and his shit "sources")

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I feel like if it's coaches and people within the organization, that's insider info and should be stated as such.

When you start using ex players or other draft experts like Mel Kiper as the consensus is it becomes as useful as any other persons opinion. Which is nothing lol

I just wish reporters would be clear on the information they are providing, whether it's sourced within the organization or somebody's opinion,, but I fell like they like being obtuse because it lends to their credibility (hello Tony Pauline and his shit "sources")

I think it's safe to assume with most "insider information," unless it's 100% the intention of the organization to put something out there? It's speculative.

Teams, coaches and GM's are FAR too savvy in the modern age of football with how the media works to ever trust reporters with confidential information. Especially when it comes to the draft where secrecy is paramount. You NEVER want other teams to know what you're intentions are.

Look no further than the Witherspoon pick. There were 3-4 other teams ready to pull the trigger on him, including the Raiders and Lions directly after us.

If Pete and John trusted anyone outside of their war room to know Witherspoon was one of the two players they were willing to use #5 on? Then either of the two teams could have found that out and tried to jump ahead of us.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Pre draft vs Post draft.

Pre draft, I'm 100% doubtful on any info put other there.

Post draft, there's less risk in being honest with the draft being history. The only risk is to the player-organization relationship.

For example, letting out that AR would have been the pick only hurts the relationship between Seattle and Geno Smith. It makes no sense to release that info. Similar to the comment from John Schneider referencing the 1 of 2 players they weren't trading back for. I'm not 100% sure that was all prospects. Hpw would you feel if you were Witherspoon and you heard that you weren't the #1 choice. There's not positive in releasing that info which is why I think he meant there was 2 people available at #5 that were high enough on their board they would have stayed at 5 without trading out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pre draft vs Post draft.

Pre draft, I'm 100% doubtful on any info put other there.

Post draft, there's less risk in being honest with the draft being history. The only risk is to the player-organization relationship.

For example, letting out that AR would have been the pick only hurts the relationship between Seattle and Geno Smith. It makes no sense to release that info. Similar to the comment from John Schneider referencing the 1 of 2 players they weren't trading back for. I'm not 100% sure that was all prospects. I think he meant there was 2 people available at #5 that were high enough on their board they would have stayed at 5 without trading out.

Maybe.

But if we know how secretive John and Pete are about their drafts, and the lengths they go to throw the media and other teams off their trail? Then it's not a leap of faith for me to believe we weren't really interested in any of the QB's.

If you're a coach and GM and are REALLY interested in drafting a QB, you don't go on publicly about how much you love them, take selfies with them, use your draft clues to appear super interested.

You do what they did, which is barely mention Witherspoon's name, act disinterested.........then draft his ass. Even Witherspoon said he didn't think the Hawks were drafting him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
If you're a coach and GM and are REALLY interested in drafting a QB, you don't go on publicly about how much you love them, take selfies with them, use your draft clues to appear super interested.
Because that really pushed Levis up team's draft board?

Any interest from Seattle and the QB class had no impact on others teams. Teams weren't jumping ahead of the Colts and Seattle to take AR because of a couple of selfies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because that really pushed Levis up team's draft board?

Any interest from Seattle and the QB class had no impact on others teams. Teams weren't jumping ahead of the Colts and Seattle to take AR because of a couple of selfies.

Sure it had an impact, it impacted how other teams thought we felt about Witherspoon.....as in non-existent.

Did it affect their draft boards? Yep, especially after we picked. Thus the Lions trading down after we took the player they wanted.

I know I'll never convince you that we weren't interested in AR. But IMO we weren't. Not a rebuild, not on a team that fancies itself a playoff contender, and certainly not for a coach and GM uninterested in the years it'd take to develop a rookie QB WITH a defense that's not very good yet.

That all = Pete and John looking for new jobs in a year or two if Richardson stinks up the joint, and a locker room that loved Geno rebelling on their asses.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Sure it had an impact, it impacted how other teams thought we felt about Witherspoon.....as in non-existent.

Did it affect their draft boards? Yep, especially after we picked. Thus the Lions trading down after we took the player they wanted.

I know I'll never convince you that we weren't interested in AR. But IMO we weren't. Not a rebuild, not on a team that fancies itself a playoff contender, and certainly not for a coach and GM uninterested in the years it'd take to develop a rookie QB WITH a defense that's not very good yet.

That all = Pete and John looking for new jobs in a year or two if Richardson stinks up the joint, and a locker room that loved Geno rebelling on their asses.
This whole post is full of assumptions. From Seattle's view of the QBs, to how the locker room feels, heck to who Detroit wanted to draft.

I'm not saying Seattle was 100% for drafting AR, just that it may have been on the table. A opinion tweet on the "consensus" isn't going to change that.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Let's say AR was the target, wouldn't the back up plan be Levis or Hooker.
See article. We'll see how this plays out.

I can believe some tall tales and even believe that playing for the Seahawks could elevate a players game but that is a HELL of a lot of elevating.

YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating
2021Broncos60.47872280.4
2020Broncos57.32,933161575.4
2019Broncos64.11,0207389.7
Career59.34,740252079.3

59.3 Accuracy, 25/20 TD/INT ratio.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
That's just a guess. An equally legitimate guess is that they well might have drafted Richardson or CJ Stroud had they been available. My guess is that one of the top 3 QB's would be with us now had they been available. JS kind of hinted in a press conference that certain players they were hoping didn't fall to them. I can't remember if this was after day one or two of the draft.

Maybe we'll never know.
This could be true. However, I think it's telling that they chose not to trade up for a QB. With their draft capital, they could have easily outbid Carolina for the first pick and had their choice of QBs. They also could have easily outbid the Texans for pick 3 and AR. They chose to do neither.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This whole post is full of assumptions. From Seattle's view of the QBs, to how the locker room feels, heck to who Detroit wanted to draft.

I'm not saying Seattle was 100% for drafting AR, just that it may have been on the table. A opinion tweet on the "consensus" isn't going to change that.

Of course it's full of assumptions, that how this entire conversation started.

At least my assumptions are based off of the large majority of media agreeing with me, as well as how our front office actually drafted. As in zero QB's drafted.

You and others assumptions are based off of nothing other than your own biased opinions on AR. Because there's literally nothing that'd give credence to the sentiment other than some extremely obvious smoke screens like the selfies to give you that impression that we might draft him.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think a lot of this QB class will be average or bust. Probably only one or two will become elite and we won't know who fits where for a while. Also it's great that they have confidence in Lock, who cares what he looked like in Denver or how they evaluated him. I want Lock (and Geno) to play at a pro bowl level and win us a Super Bowl to further rub in the RW trade. The Hawks are on the upswing, BIGTIME.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I'm not anti-Lock, but until we sign him beyond the current season, I dont believe he's considered the QBOTF.
Maybe QBOTF is too strong a term. How about this? Geno's eventual replacement will be Drew Lock. Or maybe Drew Lock will get the first shot at replacing Geno. Given Geno's age (32) and the fact that his contract is for at most two years, I think this is a fair statement. In fact, the only real alternative to Lock that I see is Geno himself signing an extension.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We already have a really good starting QB and a capable backup. They clearly didn't see someone that stuck out to them in this draft.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We already have a really good starting QB and a capable backup. They clearly didn't see someone that stuck out to them in this draft.
We can’t necessarily say that they did not see anyone that stuck out to them. By the time Seattle was picking, the blue chip prospects at the QB position were gone.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Of course it's full of assumptions, that how this entire conversation started.

At least my assumptions are based off of the large majority of media agreeing with me, as well as how our front office actually drafted. As in zero QB's drafted.

You and others assumptions are based off of nothing other than your own biased opinions on AR. Because there's literally nothing that'd give credence to the sentiment other than some extremely obvious smoke screens like the selfies to give you that impression that we might draft him.
I was responded to a tweet you posted that appears to be opinion that you shared as the consensus. I don't get what that means. We've seen the team draft against the consensus plenty of times. Thats their MO. It doesn't confirm anything.

Plus there were plenty that thought AR was on the board: Mike Salk, Corbin Smith, Todd McShay, Hsu, matty brown. It's much closer to 50-50 than a true consensus.

My opinion (not an assumption) started with how I viewed AR, which was a top 5 prospect. The NFL agreed with me. Because Seattle didn't draft a QB isn't clear evidence they weren't willing to draft a QB. As Schneider said in his presser, you can't force the QB pick. Drafting AR wasn't a need pick. It was a BPA pick. I think he team would allow that, especially st the QB position.

All I've said is that I feel he was a possibility. Since he was drafted #4, we'll probably never know. That's how it goes.

NoGain

Reaction score
This could be true. However, I think it's telling that they chose not to trade up for a QB. With their draft capital, they could have easily outbid Carolina for the first pick and had their choice of QBs. They also could have easily outbid the Texans for pick 3 and AR. They chose to do neither.
I hear what you're saying. But like I said in my post, there was probably a limit to how much Seattle was willing to give up to move up in the draft. You have to set limits. Also, was Arizona really going to risk being a trade partner with us as a division rival and *possibly* let us draft a QB that's going to be a nightmare for them in our division for years to come?

I think Seattle set limits on what they were willing to do as far as moving up is concerned, and were perfectly willing to let the draft come to them if those scenarios didn't play out. It's not like any of these QB's was a can't miss QB like Elway, or Lawrence, or Luck.

Until proven otherwise, I still think the Hawks were salivating over the idea of either Richardson or Anderson or perhaps Stroud falling to them. It just didn't happen, and they set their limits as to what they'd be willing to pay to move up.