No QB in the draft because we already have him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this comment in another thread. Let's try this again:

Who here thinks "the other player" they were not trading back for was AR? I think he was the guy. No proof, just a hunch.

Someone else said they believe it was Will Anderson.

Brady Henderson said the consensus was it was Anderson, not AR.

I know that's blasphemy with a lot of you guys who I've been arguing with for months who thought we were drafting Richardson.

GemCity

Reaction score

I know that's blasphemy with a lot of you guys who I've been arguing with for months who thought we were drafting Richardson.

I thought we may have grabbed Richardson if he were available but, it’s pure speculation and definitely not something I’m “upset” about.

We had a great draft!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm not anti-Lock, but until we sign him beyond the current season, I dont believe he's considered the QBOTF.
You at least gotta be curious about how Lock would look in this offense after being in it & studying it for a year like Geno had the opportunity to do.

Almost everybody thought PS was blowing smoke up our collective a**es about Geno so I tend to believe him on Lock & his progression but, you're right, resigning him beyond this season will be the telling point.

Rat

Reaction score
You at least gotta be curious about how Lock would look in this offense after being in it & studying it for a year like Geno had the opportunity to.

Almost everybody thought PS was blowing smoke up our collective a**es about Geno so I tend to believe him on Lock & his progression but, you're right, resigning him beyond this season will be the telling point.
I'm definitely curious; nobody has ever doubted that he has high-end tools, I'm just expressing skepticism that our front office considers him the QBOTF.

I'd be interested in hearing if he got any more interest in FA. If you're Tampa, wouldnt Lock on a one-year deal be worth throwing in the mix with Baker and Trask? How about Washington? It's not like they have a ton invested in Howell.

James in PA

Reaction score

This makes me feel better. Like I said all along, Richardson was my top choice, but if he was still there at 5 and John passed on him, I could live with it because I trust John's judgment when it comes to quarterbacks. This also lines up with what others have said about Pete not being fond of college quarterbacks who have a lack of experience. (e.g. The Sanchize).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm definitely curious; nobody has ever doubted that he has high-end tools, I'm just expressing skepticism that our front office considers him the QBOTF.

I'd be interested in hearing if he got any more interest in FA. If you're Tampa, wouldnt Lock on a one-year deal be worth throwing in the mix with Baker and Trask? How about Washington? It's not like they have a ton invested in Howell.

Not sure where the QBOTF came from, other than a couple people on here incorrectly assuming because we didn't draft a QB, that's what that means.

Lock is a solid backup that has most of the tools to come in and maybe win a couple games if you need him too. Even that is speculation, because he hasn't proven anything really beyond his toolset and penchant for not being careful with the football.

Slick

Reaction score
He will be allowed to compete and, if worthy, will earn the job. I think keeping your QB room the same YoY pays dividends in the long run even if the backup guy ends up not being the long-term solution.

FWIW I don't think Geno will lose the position. I think he's evolved into a highly-efficient passer. I think he's also efficient in the pocket. I think he's happier than a pig-in-sh*t that they drafted somebody to be a solid lock at WR3.

I think a lot of things. I'm like Peter King but less fat and smug.

Rat

Reaction score
Not sure where the QBOTF came from, other than a couple people on here incorrectly assuming because we didn't draft a QB, that's what that means.
I thought he meant why we didn't make a move for one of the top QB prospects, but I can see where I might have missed on his point.

I agree that having Lock is better than having drafted one of the mid-late round prospects.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score

The skepticism is fine, just like it was with Geno, but we'll find out exactly what they think of him if they sign him beyond this season but all signs, so far, are positive.

I think Tampa did try to sign him, not sure about Washington, & he decided to stay & I take that as a good sign that he believes in the process he has here. Most QB's should not be thrown into the fire like he was as a rookie & he seems to like the environment of learning here & the confidence PC & JS are showing in him.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this comment in another thread. Let's try this again:

Who here thinks "the other player" they were not trading back for was AR? I think he was the guy. No proof, just a hunch.

Someone else said they believe it was Will Anderson.
I personally would have given up our first 3 picks to move up, of course with lower picks for those. AR is the real deal. He has a chance to be better than that QB from the Ravens, who quit on his team ......Samar, Damar, maybe Lamar?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I thought he meant why we didn't make a move for one of the top QB prospects, but I can see where I might have missed on his point.

I agree that having Lock is better than having drafted one of the mid-late round prospects.

Right, you read it correctly.

I'm saying resigning Lock had nothing to do with not drafting a QB. He's a dependable backup that Pete trusts in that role behind Geno.

That's it. It doesn't mean Pete and John think Lock's the QB of the future. It means they think he's a good backup that can help them win games if needed.

I never bought into the narrative of a 71 year old coach taking on a raw rookie QB when he's trying to make another deep playoff run needing to completely rebuild his defense and much of his O-line.

Those two things don't go together, at all.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I will never believe that Pete would have drafted AR unless I hear him say it himself.

“Carroll cited a study that shows 62 percent of underclassmen quarterbacks who declare early for the Draft eventually don’t pan out in the NFL.”

Exactly this^ Pete tried like hell to convince Mark Sanchez to stay put for one more year before declaring for just that reason.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what happens in a year or so if Geno regresses. If not, then we're good I guess. Maybe not great, but good. Can Geno beat the Patrick Mahomes' of the nfl? I'm not sold so far. I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don’t believe for even one minute that our staff considers Lock our QB of the future.
I’m sure they believe he’ll do in a pinch but he’ll have to get the opportunity AND prove himself before he ever gets “that” designation.

IMHO/YMMV
Yeah, I’m not buying this whole “QB of the future” talk that I always hear around Lock either.

I have no doubt that if Richardson/Young/Stroud were available, one of them would be a Seahawk, and Lock would be shown the door.

At the end of the day, Lock is a team player that knows the system. He can and does help Geno prepare for the opponent. Those two things are valuable resources for a team.

I don’t think Pete views him as anything other than a back up QB with some potential.

We didn’t draft a QB because we had no shot at the blue chip prospects, not because of Lock. Same story in the last draft, all of the QBs in that draft were hot garbage.

LTH

Reaction score
The way I see it is they like Lock a lot..... He has the tools to be a good QB in this league. He is unproven, and his contract reflects that..... it also reflects that the Hawks wanted to stay flexible. Let's see what he does this year. I see a series of 1-2 year deals. until Lock proves himself or the Hawks find someone better.

LTH

HawksNation

Reaction score
Most of those who think Lock will suck when called upon, are also those who thought Geno would suck when called upon.

Lock has skills. It appears PCJS think he's developing well. For all we know, he may be better than Geno by now.
However our backups can’t always be success stories

Latest posts