Votes: 22 23.4%
  • College

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

Ozzy

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the NFL views Pete. If they like many fans on here think Seattle was stupid to move on from him he should have a bunch of offers and be a hot name for these openings. So far I'm not seeing anything but its also super early in the process. Curious how it plays out. If he doesn't it adds credence to Seattle moving on now instead of a year or two from now imo.

RiverDog

Reaction score
When Pete took over the Seahawks he was 58. At 72 he has way more energy than most 58 year olds. Hes got more energy than a lot of 38 year olds. At this point in time, I'd be surprised if Pete doesn't get another NFL head coaching job. Hes a proven culture builder and consistent winner. After watching his presser, I came away with the distinct feeling that he still wants to coach.
Take off your hate filled glasses for the guy and glimpse reality. Do you want an unknown young guy, because thats all the rage, with no head coaching experience, or do you want a proven commodity who clearly still has the energy and drive to be an NFL head coach?
Take it from me: When you're as old as Pete is, there are a lot of things out of your control that could influence his ability/desire to keep working at a job as stressful and time consuming as an NFL head coach. Besides, there's more to good health than just the visible external energy one shows.

Plus, it's not just about him, it's about his family. His wife is 69 years old. What's her health like?

As far as your last question goes, my answer is unequivocally yes, if that's the direction our management wants to go, then I'm good with an unknown young guy. Give him 3-4 years and if he's not the one, fire him and go on to the next candidate.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I could see an NFL team bringing him in as a assistant perhaps to work on culture building especially. I have a hard time imagining any franchise seeing Pete as COTF or a long-term answer at head coach. If he gets a head coach gig I'd bet it's with a smaller market college.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's not just a matter of whether Pete can still do the job or not. It's also a matter of societal expectations and attitudes about age. In addition, if you are looking for a head coach, you want someone who can be there for the next ten years. Even if Pete is still energetic now, do you know what he'll be like in 7 years when he'll be pushing 80?
I think this is generally true, but for the Chargers, I think they're in a unique position where they should really, really consider a coach who can turn the culture over and has a proven record of improving the play of his quarterbacks.

They're cursed. They need an agent of coalescence, and Pete Carroll is exactly that. Not to mention that he's beloved in the area.

They should go for it. He's a high floor hire that can change your future fortunes, and he'll help Herbert.

Ozzy

Reaction score
How did you come to that conclusion?
I just don’t think the NFL views Pete as a QB guru or offensive genius and if you’re the Chargers you want a coach to maximize your prized asset. That may or may not be fair of Pete but I think that’s how it plays out.

I still think it’s interesting we’ve heard zero interest to date for Pete from any opening. They may change though

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think Atlanta is the most ideal situation, their defense is ok, good DL with great run defense by the way. Their offense is a QB away from pretty good, got two good RBs and a solid OL. If Bronco releases Wilson, or Hawks releases Geno, both are instant upgrade over Falcon's QB passing games. NFC south is pretty soft, don't you guys agree?

I am all for Pete to Atlanta!

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
I don't think any NFL owner would hire PC since he's made it clear that he prioritizes loyalty to players and coaching staff over putting the organization first.

Combine that with his poor evaluation abilities in coaching staff hires and I don't think there's any owners thinking That's My Guy.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The guy isn't coaching another down in the NFL. He's going to be 73 years old. Nobody in their right mind is going to hitch a team to somebody that old. Pete's next coaching job will be at the senior center playing walker ball.
I agree with this.

If I’m an owner this would be concerning AND I don’t think Carroll is a great drafter either and Carroll wants full autonomy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah it seems pretty telling that we haven't heard his name mentioned at all for potential landing spots to take over a team. Not one. This doesn't diminish what he accomplished just that at this point in time its not going to happen.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The negative agenda many here have is hard to let go of and a lot of the supposed negatives about PC are unfounded.

USC presently has a great coach who is well respected by the Alumni and who is doing a good job coaching the team.

I frankly think PC will wait until after this upcoming season to make his decision about a return to coaching. He may just decide it's time to be a football advisor rather than being a HC.

renofox

Reaction score
The negative agenda many here have is hard to let go of and a lot of the supposed negatives about PC are unfounded.

USC presently has a great coach who is well respected by the Alumni and who is doing a good job coaching the team.

I frankly think PC will wait until after this upcoming season to make his decision about a return to coaching. He may just decide it's time to be a football advisor rather than being a HC.
I'm not seeing a negative agenda here. I'm seeing honest and respectful critique of PC.

When you're having a discussion about an individuals employment prospects, it would be disingenuous to cite his positives if you think that certain negatives would prevent him from being hired.

Don't we want honest discussion here?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting view when the NFL network and other sources have pegged Pete as a possible candidate forHC at both LAC and ATL.

That said he's under contract still to Seattle.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I didn't vote. IMO Pete stays in his windowless basement office amongst the big carboard file boxes, has his once-a-week lunch with the HC/GM, raises the 12th man flag a time or two, and picks up his $15M paycheck.
As much as I think you actually might be right - I think that separate from the koombaya type parting, that there's going to be a cleaner break than 'previous dude hanging around' - just from a clear line of authority standpoint -

think they're gonna clean house

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
IDK, I think Pete, despite what he has said, is tired. I bet he finds he wants a change of pace, finds himself staying and assisting the team, maybe in the studio with one of the shows. I think he still has the energy to do great things, somewhere in the biz, but I'm betting he finds he likes being free of HC responsibilities and really never goes back to full time head coaching.

Liquid99

Reaction score
With Pete under contract, would we receive a draft pick if he goes to another team?