Marquis Goodwin

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think it is too early to write Eskridge off as a bust. On average, how long does it take WRs to acclimate to the NFL and become productive? How do injuries, team scheme, depth at the position, QB turnover, etc. impact the development of a young receiver?

I keep hearing analysts say that WR is one of the most difficult transitions from college to pros, yet we seem to expect guys to come in and contribute instantly. I think we can be disappointed at his production to date without jumping to the bust conclusion when Eskridge has been playing behind two above-average starters, changed quarterbacks after his rookie year, and dealt with some injuries. Maybe two years from now he is still unable to crack the depth chart, but it is much too early to jump to that conclusion today.
Normally, I completely agree with you, but the injuries especially the concussion concerns make me think it’s time to move on.

FPD

Reaction score
Goodwin is light years ahead of Eskridge. I had such high hopes for Eskridge, but it's time to move from him (whenever his contract allows). Definitely want Goodwin back!

BASF

Reaction score
Goodwin is light years ahead of Eskridge. I had such high hopes for Eskridge, but it's time to move from him (whenever his contract allows). Definitely want Goodwin back!
Seven and a half year older receiver with eighty more games experience light years ahead of a receiver that has been more injured than healthy in his early career. Film at eleven.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Goodwin was reportedly a good leader and teammate, and we certainly used him a fair amount in the flanker (Z) role last season. I would definitely wait to re-sign him until we see how the draft goes though as he'll be turning 33 soon and his role is a likely draft target.

We don't really want to overpay older smaller receivers given how effective two and three tight end sets are for this scheme. Those sets require a bigger split end and one or zero smaller shifty receivers respectively.
Umm, Goodwin plays like a 6'2" receiver on many plays, with his unbelievable hops. Remember that play where he went sky-high to get an alley-oop ball Geno threw him for a TD? Goodwin was a world-class sprinter, and IIRC, a near-world-class long jumper. At 33, his decline to 95% still leaves him as elite in speed and hops. I think he has at least one more good season in him before his athleticism fades, and gotta love his savvy and experience.

As others pointed out, Goodwin just seemed to hang onto clutch catches.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Umm, Goodwin plays like a 6'2" receiver on many plays, with his unbelievable hops. Remember that play where he went sky-high to get an alley-oop ball Geno threw him for a TD? Goodwin was a world-class sprinter, and IIRC, a near-world-class long jumper. At 33, his decline to 95% still leaves him as elite in speed and hops. I think he has at least one more good season in him before his athleticism fades, and gotta love his savvy and experience.
Absolutely he's a great catcher and for some reason people undervalue that when it's really the bottom line for receivers.

However, we don't line him up at split end due to his size and so my point is more that we only have a certain amount of guys on the field at once who can line up off the line of scrimmage. If we draft Lockett's eventual replacement like I suspect then we have a bit of a log jam there assuming we're also trying to get Eskridge more snaps this season.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I've been a personal fan of Goodwin since his posting about him and his wife losing their newborn and the following game that he played and scored a touchdown in. He's got some great speed and catching ability, would love to continue with him as our #3. Injuries just seem to be the hang-up spot.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Absolutely he's a great catcher and for some reason people undervalue that when it's really the bottom line for receivers.

However, we don't line him up at split end due to his size and so my point is more that we only have a certain amount of guys on the field at once who can line up off the line of scrimmage. If we draft Lockett's eventual replacement like I suspect then we have a bit of a log jam there assuming we're also trying to get Eskridge more snaps this season.
Draft Lockett's eventual replacement? OMG, how could we ever hope to have lightning strike again like we got with the amazing Tyler Lockett? He is truly one of a kind!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Draft Lockett's eventual replacement? OMG, how could we ever hope to have lightning strike again like we got with the amazing Tyler Lockett? He is truly one of a kind!
Jalin Hyatt R1 #20.

Can you imagine that group?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jalin Hyatt R1 #20.

Can you imagine that group?
Fascinating! If there's any receiver who *sounds* like a potential Lockett in his draft profile, it's Hyatt. Lockett also had the intangible that his dad was an NFL pro, as a WR even, but hey, if Hyatt has the tools and the drive, that's what matters. No clue here about where Hyatt would go, though some sources say 2nd round. I think Pete and John would have to view Hyatt to project to a Lockett-level player to take him at #20.

I'm thinking/hoping LOS "Thumper" particularly on D for #20.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Fascinating! If there's any receiver who *sounds* like a potential Lockett in his draft profile, it's Hyatt. Lockett also had the intangible that his dad was an NFL pro, as a WR even, but hey, if Hyatt has the tools and the drive, that's what matters. No clue here about where Hyatt would go, though some sources say 2nd round. I think Pete and John would have to view Hyatt to project to a Lockett-level player to take him at #20.

I'm thinking/hoping LOS "Thumper" particularly on D for #20.
I've seen him everywhere between about 25 and 50.

Every mock I do I try to fit in a EDGE/LB guy at #20 and I just havent been happy. I see a ton of value at LB or even S/CB with our first second round pick.

Hyatt just looks like an absolute barnburner. Desean Jackson type. Hard for me to pass that up.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I've seen him everywhere between about 25 and 50.

Every mock I do I try to fit in a EDGE/LB guy at #20 and I just havent been happy. I see a ton of value at LB or even S/CB with our first second round pick.

Hyatt just looks like an absolute barnburner. Desean Jackson type. Hard for me to pass that up.

Nice highlights package! The Bama game was particularly impressive. This dude runs right by defenders, legit NFL game-breaking speed, I'm seeing what you're seeing. Bigger bodied and stronger than Lockett. So many of his TDs were WIDE OPEN downfield... a little tougher to create that separation in the NFL, but he had some tough over-the-middle catches too. Looks like a great pick, just a matter of if the Hawks can snag him. Maybe a trade-down will get more draft capital to invest in a WR?

OP
OP
WarHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score
He looks great! Didn't see any toe tapping out routes though, mostly just go routes, but he's a burner for sure. Actually I was just as mesmerized watching Hooker throw him all those darts and deep balls. Wow. That's as much a Hooker highlight tape as it is for Hyatt.