Mariners trading Kelenic, Marco...

Ruminator

Reaction score
Unless something drastically happens it looks like they quit the rebuild right before it was going to take off and quit on the fans. One of the worst franchises in all of baseball
Whew, that was close! They narrowly averted potential greatness and success.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It sounds like the deal with Root Sports is a contributor to the problem here.
Surprisingly, Seattle sports fans don't want to pay money for a dedicated TV channel to watch a mid to low tier baseball team stumble their way to missing the playoffs.
Weird.

Nor do people want to buy Mariners merch when the team is floundering.
But good news....the Ms are one of the more profitable teams in baseball. So there is that....

beastalamode

Reaction score
I'm really interested in what type of crowds they will draw this year. I would be shocked if 2 million people show up, I'm hoping for half of last years 2.6 mil

sutz

Reaction score
Surprisingly, Seattle sports fans don't want to pay money for a dedicated TV channel to watch a mid to low tier baseball team stumble their way to missing the playoffs.
Weird.

But good news....the Ms are one of the more profitable teams in baseball. So there is that....
And their solution to potential lower viewership is cutting player payroll.

bileever

Reaction score
I'm really interested in what type of crowds they will draw this year. I would be shocked if 2 million people show up, I'm hoping for half of last years 2.6 mil
It really depends on what they accomplish in the off-season. If they don't add at least 3 substantial players, it's going to be ugly. I mean we're already down Suarez, Hernandez and Kelenic. Three players only gets us back to where we were, and that wasn't good enough.

Now today the news is that Jeimer Candelario is signing with the Reds. I don't know why we don't make that obvious addition.

NoGain

Reaction score
Weird.

Who wants to pay twice to watch the M's, especially with their approach to winning? First paying Comcast for the cable channel, and then paying them again for ROOT.

bileever

Reaction score
Who wants to pay twice to watch the M's, especially with their approach to winning? First paying Comcast for the cable channel, and then paying them again for ROOT.
This is apparently the root (no pun intended) of the problem. Comcast's decision to not include ROOT in the basic cable subscription means a lot less money for the Ms. Not surprising move by a dinosaur industry trying to hang on by its fingernails. The Ms should figure out a way to get ROOT directly to people for less money.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People will pay for winning.

Remember all the Ms crap that was sold when they squeaked into the playoffs AFTER TWENTY YEARS OF MISSING THE PLAYOFFS?

People were buying Ms crap left and right. They WANT to love the Ms. Hell, it is hard not to be excited about Julio and some of those pitchers.
THere was this little stretch last year where the Ms were on a tear, and some of the big pundits were picking them for the World Series. Texas was in a swoon and we had just beaten the Astros. But you knew it wouldn't last. Its the freaking Mariners.
It was still fun. Enjoyed riding that tiny wave, tracking the wins, and pretending the team had a chance - when all of us knew it didn't.
And regardless....I returned to that conversation with the Ms where they shared that they don't like going to the playoffs because their players will make more in arbitration. That the visibility hurt them and made otherwise obscure players expensive. So I knew they would divest players this year. And they did, no surprise.

Passan said 'I just feel sorry for Mariner fans'. That's pretty much the take.
The Mariners are a top-ten in attendance team because of stuff like the stupid dancing groundskeepers (do they still have that?). In the end, Seattle fans accept it because Seattle fans are likely worse than Cubs fans.

Even so, nobody wants to pay Pay Per View or freaking subscribe to a channel to watch the Hometown Losers lose.
The value the Mariners have to Seattle is they help you understand what a crappy franchise looks like. I can be frustrated with the Seahawks and the Kraken might not be as good as last year, but at least they are not the Mariners.
The Mariners exist to lose, and to take money from gullible/stupid fans who don't realize this.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Lets hope Stanton becomes persona non grata here in Seattle. I hope there isn't a single day where he doesn't get attitude from someone in his orbit, he's literally the most hated man in the city.

Crizilla

Reaction score
The franchise is rigged and fake. They have NEVER had an actual offense besides when Lou was here. It's a joke franchise.

Latest posts