KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Because Lock and/or a rookie might not be a "good one."

Geno is.

You guys talk in uncertainties, instead of certainties. Geno is a certainty. We can certainly debate what he costs, that's a real discussion. But these "hey lets just roll with some dudes who no one in the locker room respects nor has proven they can do the job" isn't really a viable conversation.
Certainly less risk with Geno, but still a wide range of potential results.

Are you getting pre 22, first half 22, second half 22, or playoff Geno?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Very few draft boards have Levis projected over Stroud.

And I'm certainly not savvy enough or have watched enough tape to have any sort of certainty about either, other than what I'm reading.

But in general, Stroud and Young are the two most NFL ready QB's in the draft, thus why they're both projected to go top 5.
Stroud is talented as hell, but he has not played in a pro system. As I’m sure you know, T-OSU QBs are highly scripted and pre snap coach directed.

He will need more time than Levis even if the ceiling is higher.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Brady Henderson came out with this recently:

The Seahawks already believe they have cheaper alternatives who can "stabilize" the QB position.
This makes sense and is inline with what most people are saying. Geno at the right price. What is the right price? None of us really know as we don't know exactly how much money they have to fill the other holes. We can guess with the salary cap, but what current deals can be reworked to free up more cash? Could be significant.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Certainly less risk with Geno, but still a wide range of potential results.

Are you getting pre 22, first half 22, second half 22, or playoff Geno?

Probably a little of each, and like this year that all equals Pro Bowl and franchise records for things like yards, cmp% and completions.

Listen, there are only 3-4 elite QB's in the league. After that we're just discussing whether Geno belongs in the next tier of QB's 4-12.

And as of now, his statistics show he does. Now what does that equal for paying him? I have no idea, his situation is really unprecedented.

As we all know, it's not really what WE'RE willing to pay him, it's does he have the leverage to maximize that number because of what other teams are willing to pay him.......and we just don't know that variable right now.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think the market is going to give Geno 30M+, if that's the starting point for he and his agent (which we can assume it is).

I think the contract Geno's going to sign is a 3 year deal with around 60M guaranteed with annual average of around 25M+ incentives for him to get paid over the 30M if he replicates what he did this year, stays healthy, etc.

To answer your question, depends on the rookie. If it's Young or Stroud I'm good with a cheap deal for Lock and have them battle it out in camp.

If it's Levis or Richardson, or a rookie that's going to require more time to develop? No, I'm not happy with the locker room imploding cause the guy the love is being replaced with his backup who hasn't proven anything, or won over anyone.

Levis played in the exact same offense as Seattle runs and has played under 2 NFL coaches. If he falls to 5 and Seattle takes him I'll be pumped because I do think he can play right away and a lot of the issues we saw was because of a lack of talent around him. I actually think Levis goes before Seattle picks because scouts are much higher on him than draft pundits are. I could be wrong of course but that's my guess. Don't be totally shocked if Levis goes 1 or 2.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Probably a little of each, and like this year that all equals Pro Bowl and franchise records for things like yards, cmp% and completions.

Listen, there are only 3-4 elite QB's in the league. After that we're just discussing whether Geno belongs in the next tier of QB's 4-12.

And as of now, his statistics show he does. Now what does that equal for paying him? I have no idea, his situation is really unprecedented.

As we all know, it's not really what WE'RE willing to pay him, it's does he have the leverage to maximize that number because of what other teams are willing to pay him.......and we just don't know that variable right now.
Dead on!

Beyond market value, the other debate is ROI.

Can a team with as many holes as the Hawks appear to have leverage a short term asset like Geno or is it classic malinvestment.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Pete also said "we found our guy" when asked about Geno.

So Henderson's comments don't really prove that Pete and John aren't willing to give Geno a decent contract.

Now if Geno and his agent think they're getting stupid money? Yeah I'm sure Pete and John are confident that they're system is QB friendly enough to hopefully find Geno's replacement.

But Henderson's comment doesn't = we're not paying Geno. Just means they're already spinning the PR machine to make sure Geno and his agent know they're not giving him stupid money and are perfectly fine letting him walk if another team does.
Pete also said they had no intention of trading ME3. Can't take coach-speak at face value. This one appears to be true but I never believe anything a coach tells the media/public.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again, it will all come down to the guaranteed money.

If Geno can get 65M for 3 years with 45M or so guaranteed I think he resigns.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Because Lock and/or a rookie might not be a "good one."

Geno is.

You guys talk in uncertainties, instead of certainties. Geno is a certainty. We can certainly debate what he costs, that's a real discussion. But these "hey lets just roll with some dudes who no one in the locker room respects nor has proven they can do the job" isn't really a viable conversation.
What he said. Denver has tried mediocre QBs for years, and where has that gotten them? It got them trading a King's Ransom for a washed up Russell Wilson. You pay Geno, and you sign DaRon Payne, and draft BPA.

I like Stroud, but all those previous Ohio State QBs played in a QB Friendly system. And "The QB Wizard," Kyle Shannahan gave up a King's Ransom for Trey Lance. Kyle KNEW that Trey was a franchise QB.

You go with what you know at QB. And you build the Defense and Running Game so that this actually is a QB friendly scheme. 2022 was NOT QB friendly. The defense got lit up, the running game faltered, and we are watching the playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Dead on!

Beyond market value, the other debate is ROI.

Can a team with as many holes as the Hawks appear to have leverage a short term asset like Geno or is it classic malinvestment.

Yeah I have no idea.

But we could probably make a case that an above average team with a terrible QB might be willing to gamble on Geno if they think even an average to above average at times Geno puts them over the top as a consistent playoff team.

Patriots
Dolphins (if Tua isn't coming back)
Raiders
Ravens (if the Lamar situation goes south)
Titans
Commanders
Hell, any of the NFC South teams

Anyway, you could make a case for any of these teams gambling on Geno and driving up his price.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Basically too many holes on the roster to spend that much on a guy like Geno

Would you be happy with Drew Lock and a rookie going forward, or Geno at $30M?
I would really like to hear some feedback on Lock, we haven't heard anything about him since the last fumble in September. The staff has been watching him daily all season, someone must have some update on his progress and how he looks. Lots of speculation in here linking Lock to replacing Geno next year, but we don't have a clue where he stands.
I'm a lock fan, I think he bring much to the table, he just needs a little refinement. Has he prospered over the season or not? Inquiring minds a=want to know...???

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Let’s say we snag qbotf. Well that still means we need a veteran. Would we rather JimmyG or Carr? They’ll cost about as much as Geno.

knownone

Reaction score
KJ's core argument is wrong. Paying Geno would not significantly hinder our ability to rebuild the roster. We're in a good spot from a cap perspective, especially considering that we have most of our core guys locked down for next season, a lot of young guys on rookie deals, and a number of avenues to create space.

Geno will get between 28 and 35 million per season. If they choose to move on from him, they better have more than just Drew Lock in their plans.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I don't think the market is going to give Geno 30M+, if that's the starting point for he and his agent (which we can assume it is).

I think the contract Geno's going to sign is a 3 year deal with around 60M guaranteed with annual average of around 25M+ incentives for him to get paid over the 30M if he replicates what he did this year, stays healthy, etc.

To answer your question, depends on the rookie. If it's Young or Stroud I'm good with a cheap deal for Lock and have them battle it out in camp.

If it's Levis or Richardson, or a rookie that's going to require more time to develop? No, I'm not happy with the locker room imploding cause the guy the love is being replaced with his backup who hasn't proven anything, or won over anyone.
I think a guy like KJ saying they shouldn't do it would carry at least some weight in the locker room.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Very few draft boards have Levis projected over Stroud.

And I'm certainly not savvy enough or have watched enough tape to have any sort of certainty about either, other than what I'm reading.

But in general, Stroud and Young are the two most NFL ready QB's in the draft, thus why they're both projected to go top 5.
The draft boards are done by random people on the internet that have no connections with NFL teams take what they say with a grain of salt

Donn2390

Reaction score
If I were used to making a max of 3.5 mill, I could make due with a raise to $20 or so.... Plenty to buy groceries, even at today's prices... Maybe not eggs, but everything else...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The draft boards are done by random people on the internet that have no connections with NFL teams take what they say with a grain of salt

That's not true, most mock drafts are done by accomplished sports writers and research sites like Walters/PFF, etc.

I know we like to discount the "experts," and sometimes they deserve our ire. But most are accredited writers and analysts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think a guy like KJ saying they shouldn't do it would carry at least some weight in the locker room.

KJ would have never said this if he was in the same locker room as Geno.

Players and ex-players who can now have real opinions on their sport and the players are two different animals.

Geno's teammates all want him to get the biggest bag of money possible.