KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

Seahawker

Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again, it will all come down to the guaranteed money.

If Geno can get 65M for 3 years with 45M or so guaranteed I think he resigns.
Year 1) 10M base + 15M signing= 25m

Year 2) 20M base/15M guaranteed

Year 3) 30M base/5M guaranteed

Plus I would offer performance bonuses at 2M per year.
That would be 45M guaranteed over 3 years with a total of 81M achievable total $.
If Geno gets a better offer shake his hand and wish him the best of luck.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
KJ would have never said this if he was in the same locker room as Geno.

Players and ex-players who can now have real opinions on their sport and the players are two different animals.

Geno's teammates all want him to get the biggest bag of money possible.
Yes, I agree. But him saying it because he can means there are probably people in the locker room that feel the same (whether they can say it or not) even though they are with Geno.

Jville

Reaction score
That's not true, most mock drafts are done by accomplished sports writers and research sites like Walters/PFF, etc.

I know we like to discount the "experts," and sometimes they deserve our ire. But most are accredited writers and analysts.

That's not entirely correct.

Subscribers to publications are typically locked in and invested in their narratives. There is, however, considerable disagreement about the integrity of publications. Writers and researchers are heavily influenced and in many cases directed by their sponsors. Occupational policing and accreditation goes wanting. It's a global phenomenum effecting all occupations and placing resulting narratives in question.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's not entirely correct.

Subscribers to publications are typically locked in and invested in their narratives. There is, however, considerable disagreement about the integrity of publications. Writers and researchers are heavily influenced and in many cases directed by their sponsors. Occupational policing and accreditation goes wanting. It's a global phenomenum effecting all occupations and placing resulting narratives in question.

My point is most accredited sports publications have analysts and writers from the sports world, who actually do research things like mock drafts and prospect analysis.

I'm not talking about E! news or Yahoo who pukes up hot sports takes. I'm talking about legitimate sports media sites.

To just say "they're random people on the internet" is not correct, at all.

WE'RE random people on the internet.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

That would be 45M guaranteed over 3 years with a total of 81M achievable total $.
That would be great if he agreed to those numbers but those numbers are out of sync with the avg market rate for starting QBs. As comparison, let's compare Geno with Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill got $38M this season. If I were to guess, that's probably where Geno sees his value at.

Spotrac website has Geno's market value at $39.3M - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/geno-smith-12320/market-value/

Last edited:

Seahawker

Reaction score

Hockey Guy

Reaction score

Yup, something just like this.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, maybe Pete will do him a solid and let him check out the market for him. He's done it for others in the past.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That would be great if he agreed to those numbers but those numbers are out of sync with the avg market rate for starting QBs. As comparison, let's compare Geno with Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill got $38M this season. If I were to guess, that's probably where Geno sees his value at.

Spotrac website has Geno's market value at $39.3M - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/geno-smith-12320/market-value/

The discount I assume that John's going to negotiate is that Tannehill's done it for a decade, and Geno's done it for one season.

That has to have merit in the negotiations. Maybe not to Geno and his agent, but it will to any GM entertaining signing Geno.

If he REALLY believes in himself, then Geno shouldn't have a problem taking a shorter deal with more guaranteed money + incentives. That means if he thinks he's going to continue to perform at a high level, he can get another large contract in 2-3 years.

Jville

Reaction score
Pardon the interruption ..... but, they had 3 quarterbacks in the house last year. Surely one or more of them will resign.

Listening to the podcast ....... there was so much more in KJ's last scheduled segment beyond the quarterback position. It's a shame that so much of forum interest is dominated and so heavily biased toward the quarterback position. There is so much more to 11 man football and the next iteration of building a team for 2023.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Listening to the podcast ....... there was so much more in KJ's last scheduled segment beyond the quarterback position. It's a shame that so much of forum interest is dominated and so heavily biased toward the quarterback position. There is so much more to 11 man football and the next iteration of building a team for 2023.
Then make a thread about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would love hearing some thoughts on it

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Levis played in the exact same offense as Seattle runs and has played under 2 NFL coaches. If he falls to 5 and Seattle takes him I'll be pumped because I do think he can play right away and a lot of the issues we saw was because of a lack of talent around him. I actually think Levis goes before Seattle picks because scouts are much higher on him than draft pundits are. I could be wrong of course but that's my guess. Don't be totally shocked if Levis goes 1 or 2.
Agreed.

Levis is going to go higher than most realize, the draft pundits will be wrong. All it will take is Levis running around in shorts throwing lasers downfield at his workout and he will be the #1 or #2 guy. (Unsure if he can overcome Young, yet.)

I'd take Levis from this group if I were the Seahawks. Though, I actually am not high on any of these guys. Just if I was forced to take a QB, I'd go with Levis.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Agreed.

Levis is going to go higher than most realize, the draft pundits will be wrong. All it will take is Levis running around in shorts throwing lasers downfield at his workout and he will be the #1 or #2 guy. (Unsure if he can overcome Young, yet.)

I'd take Levis from this group if I were the Seahawks. Though, I actually am not high on any of these guys. Just if I was forced to take a QB, I'd go with Levis.
I'll bet you a Seahawks hat that Levis a bust.

Seahawker

Reaction score
There is always the chance that Anderson or Carter gets pushed down to us at #5 from the QB's or another wildcard prospect.
We've all seen those "WTH?" surprise picks over the years that tilt the scales & push talent down. April 27 is a long time away, a lot can happen. "Who the hell is Mel Kyper anyway?"

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Pete also said "we found our guy" when asked about Geno.

So Henderson's comments don't really prove that Pete and John aren't willing to give Geno a decent contract.

But Henderson's comment doesn't = we're not paying Geno. Just means they're already spinning the PR machine to make sure Geno and his agent know they're not giving him stupid money and are perfectly fine letting him walk if another team does.
Yeah, they're fine letting Geno walk and not overpaying because they have viable options who are much cheaper bridge QBs. Exactly my point Lol.

Lock, Minshew, Mayfield, Darnold, Bridgewater ect with a rookie at #5. there are viable cheaper options for this offense who could succeed with the solid improving OL and all the offensive weapons already in place which already benefited Geno enormously

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't think the market is going to give Geno 30M+, if that's the starting point for he and his agent (which we can assume it is).

I think the contract Geno's going to sign is a 3 year deal with around 60M guaranteed with annual average of around 25M+ incentives for him to get paid over the 30M if he replicates what he did this year, stays healthy, etc.

To answer your question, depends on the rookie. If it's Young or Stroud I'm good with a cheap deal for Lock and have them battle it out in camp.

If it's Levis or Richardson, or a rookie that's going to require more time to develop? No, I'm not happy with the locker room imploding cause the guy the love is being replaced with his backup who hasn't proven anything, or won over anyone.
So what are your thoughts if you're wrong? What if he gets 35+ million a year? Your 3 year, 60 million guaranteed is quite frankly an absurdly low number. That's is not happening. Go look at the most recent QB contracts and how they've been ramping up. Tannehill had a similar season after disappointing in Miami and he got 29.5, really 30 million per year with incentives.

That was just 2 years ago, since then the salary cap and contracts have ramped up pushing the floor for QB contracts ever higher. There are now 13 QB's making around or higher than 30 million per year at the moment. Close to half the league.

Geno is going to get paid.

Last edited:

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
My question is how much of the Hawks "success" this year is because of Geno and how much is it simply having a QB that will follow the gameplan unlike our previous guy? Geno had some great throws, and he exceeded everyone's expectations. Not taking anything away from him. But is his breakout due to the fact everything finally clicked for him? Or was it the system that Pete and Shane implemented that made it user friendly? Could a rookie QB with the same attributes as Geno come in and execute at the same level as Geno did? If all the comments of Russell not following the script are true, and when Geno was given his chance he stuck to the calls made and how to execute them as planned, then wouldn't it be the same for another QB to have the same success as long as they too stick to the program? Look no further then to our neighbor's down south who are on a roll with a rookie who was selected in the 7th round.

WarHawks

Reaction score
My question is how much of the Hawks "success" this year is because of Geno and how much is it simply having a QB that will follow the gameplan unlike our previous guy? Geno had some great throws, and he exceeded everyone's expectations. Not taking anything away from him. But is his breakout due to the fact everything finally clicked for him? Or was it the system that Pete and Shane implemented that made it user friendly? Could a rookie QB with the same attributes as Geno come in and execute at the same level as Geno did? If all the comments of Russell not following the script are true, and when Geno was given his chance he stuck to the calls made and how to execute them as planned, then wouldn't it be the same for another QB to have the same success as long as they too stick to the program? Look no further then to our neighbor's down south who are on a roll with a rookie who was selected in the 7th round.
Well, yes. That's the whole point. Why saddle ourselves with a big contract for a 32yr old qb who hasn't shown he can take over a game in the biggest moments, squandering our [generational] chance to get such a qb in the top 5, when it has been shown over and over again that a more talented rookie can do that as long as he has a good supporting cast? The $60 million question is whether or not any of these qb's coming out are capable of that.